• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My LGS has used Emp for the Mid $700 range, so I was wondering how the Eco compared size wise? Do they offer similar mags with a base plate with just a little extra space for your finger to rest on?

Thanks

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I am a fan of small 1911 style guns and currently have a DW CCO. The EMP really piqued my interest as they do put together a nice package and have a good reputation. The thing that puts me off about them is that they use a lot of proprietary parts and are more 1911ish than 1911. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The EMP and ECO are very similar in the aesthetics department but that is where the similarity's end, the ECO is a better gun than the EMP in literally every way. The EMP will have a slightly smaller overall grip circumference than the ECO as the EMP was built around the 9mm instead of the 45ACP. The EMP weighs 27oz and the ECO weighs 25oz (and the ECO has a 1/5 inch longer barrel as well)

Currently I have about ~2500 problem free round through mine and after seeing other peoples ultra compact 1911's fail repeatedly the Dan Wesson ECO is the only Ultra Compact 1911 that I will recommend. It might be expensive but it is worth it to have a pistol that will be dead reliable and last essentially forever. In my testing as well the 3.5 inch barrel is enough to get Federal HST 230gr ammo to reliably expand as well since some shorter barrels sometimes have issues getting hollow point ammo to reliably expand.

KNyq3hLh.jpg

Here is a photo of the pistol in hand, I wear a medium size glove for reference and I can get all of my fingers on the grip no problem no "pinky extension" needed at all, though you only want to use Officer sized magazines in this gun as Government sized magazines will be over inserted and cause issues just FYI. The mags that come with the gun and Wilson Combat ETM mags have been great for me.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/371475-review-dan-wesson-eco-45-acp.html

Here is an older review I did of the pistol, might update it soon.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I continue to be impressed ^^^ with how well that DW proprietary Duty finish has held up for you. It still looks outstanding.

So far really only the grip safety, and thumb safety have shown wear spots. The frame anodizing (it could not be duty treated since its aluminum) is holding up super well also. I could not be happier with the pistol, the Slim Line VZ grips made it perfect for me though in 45acp it is a bit snappy

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had an original EMP years ago. 3-digit serial number. Fantastic little gun...once it was repaired. IF I get into one again, it'll likely be the 4" version and in 9mm.

But I REALLY really want a DW CBOB in 9mm. Oh man.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I had an original EMP years ago. 3-digit serial number. Fantastic little gun...once it was repaired. IF I get into one again, it'll likely be the 4" version and in 9mm.

But I REALLY really want a DW CBOB in 9mm. Oh man.

Why a CBOB over the VBOB? Seems to me the CBOB is still around just for the folks in California as it is on their "roster of approved guns"

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The EMP and ECO are very similar in the aesthetics department but that is where the similarity's end, the ECO is a better gun than the EMP in literally every way. The EMP will have a slightly smaller overall grip circumference than the ECO as the EMP was built around the 9mm instead of the 45ACP. The EMP weighs 27oz and the ECO weighs 25oz (and the ECO has a 1/5 inch longer barrel as well)

Currently I have about ~2500 problem free round through mine and after seeing other peoples ultra compact 1911's fail repeatedly the Dan Wesson ECO is the only Ultra Compact 1911 that I will recommend. It might be expensive but it is worth it to have a pistol that will be dead reliable and last essentially forever. In my testing as well the 3.5 inch barrel is enough to get Federal HST 230gr ammo to reliably expand as well since some shorter barrels sometimes have issues getting hollow point ammo to reliably expand.

KNyq3hLh.jpg

Here is a photo of the pistol in hand, I wear a medium size glove for reference and I can get all of my fingers on the grip no problem no "pinky extension" needed at all, though you only want to use Officer sized magazines in this gun as Government sized magazines will be over inserted and cause issues just FYI. The mags that come with the gun and Wilson Combat ETM mags have been great for me.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/371475-review-dan-wesson-eco-45-acp.html

Here is an older review I did of the pistol, might update it soon.
    Thank you for the detailed thoughtful response. Does it have strait 8 sights?

Top Bottom