• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Haven't been to the range since Oct. since I sold/bought a house and I have bought a few guns that I needed to try out to see if I was keeping or selling.
    Finally made it to Point Blank in Greenwood (I moved to below Wannamaker).
    I used 1 of my 4 free passes that Point Blank gave me in Carmel where I was a member till I moved.
    I have my daughter's gift card to use after I use up my free passes.
    I'll join after I go through all of them, which could be a few months.

I only did 7 yds. testing at the range with nearly everything I had.

My 5 tip-up barrels: all Beretta except for a Taurus .22 caliber all work fine.
    I'll sell one of the .32 calibers: don't need two, and sell off the .25 caliber, since I have the .32 and will keep at least one of the .22s: either the Taurus or Beretta just b/c it is a .22, but I could keep both since they are my beloved .22 (cheap range guns).

Surprisingly, I like the S/W M/P Shield 45mm better than the 9mm, and it is nearly the same size, so I might sell off the 9mm, but b/c of ammo costs, that will be a hard one: perhaps use the .45 for CC and get a larger 9mm (1911 style) for the range.

The S/W MP Bodyguard .380 was OK, but since I have my 1990s Colt Mustang .380, I'll need to cut one of those, but can't make that decision now.

The S/W SD9VE was fine/ok, but it didn't bring me joy, like the .45 Smith did: I'll sell the SD9VE.

My Sig Sauer 1911-22 that I loved did not bring me any joy at the range, and I'm open to selling it now, which surprised me since at first I enjoyed it so much at first, but I think I want to move on and try other .22s now.

I still love the best my Ruger GP100 revolver: heavy, stainless, 10 shot, the perfect range gun for me.
    Point Blank does have a rental S/W 617 that I wanted to buy originally, so I'll look forward to renting it to compare it to my Ruger GP100 (identical on paper).
    I don't anticipate that I'll be able to tell a difference, but I look forward to its "day in court."
    If I really think it's better and I can tell: I think you know where that will lead.
    They also have for rent the Ruger SR22 that I almost bought used for $225 off a member here.
    They also have a Mark 4 .22 for rent, but I'd rather try out the Browning Buck Mark Target, but they don't have it for rent: I'll give the Mark 4 a chance, though.
    There are a couple of other .22 that I will rent, but I won't buy them b/c I don't think they are worth the price (revolvers).
    At Point Blank, you can pay $10 and rent multiple guns, trading one in for another during you range time, much better than at Tim's Shooting in Westfield where it was $10/per gun: period.

Surprisingly, the Ruger western-style single-action 6 shot that I bought did not do anything for me: I will sell it. No real improvement in joy over the $100 Heritage same type.
    No need for me to have it and my beloved favorite Ruger GP100 also.
    I like ejecting all 10 shells at once vs the tedious western-style dechambering 1 shell at a time: too impatient.

So, I have learned I need to sell:

1. S/W SD9VE with 5 mags, box and all (prefer to keep my small 9 b/c I don't need 16 capacity)
    2. Ruger Single-Action 6 shot with magnum cylinder, box and all (not enough difference than my other .22 revovler)
    3. Beretta .25 tip-up barrel, I think has a box (rather keep the .22 and .32 Beretta)
    4. Beretta .32 tip-up barrel (I have another one I'll keep)
    5. Sig Sauer 1911-22 that I paid $100 to upgrade the guide rod, spring, and other parts: done locally.

In the future I will sell when I make up my mind:

1. Either the S/W M/P Shield 9mm or 45mm: don't need both
    2. Probably the Taurus tip-up barrel .22: since I have the Beretta tip-up .22 also
    3. Either the S/W Bodyguard .380 or the Colt Mustang (had the Colt since 1990)

Guns to buy in the future:

1. S/W M/P Compact .22
    2. Browning Buck Mark Target .22
    3. Browning 1911-22
    4. Beretta MP-9 22
    5. ??? as I learn more and gain experience, and learn what the "pearl of great price" is

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Sounds like they all had their day in court. Some were handed down stiff sentences: "Such as you no longer make me happy, you don't belong". Or "I have two of you, one MUST be banished"!
    The Jury is still "out" on others. I do have a feeling that the Colt Mustang will be granted a stay of execution, and the poly Smith will no longer be your "Bodyguard".
    Sounds like fun was had by the "Judge".

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like they all had their day in court. Some were handed down stiff sentences: "Such as you no longer make me happy, you don't belong". Or "I have two of you, one MUST be banished"!
    The Jury is still "out" on others. I do have a feeling that the Colt Mustang will be granted a stay of execution, and the poly Smith will no longer be your "Bodyguard".
    Sounds like fun was had by the "Judge".

1. You are sooo funny! :lmfao:
    2. Yes, I can't imagine parting with the Colt, b/c of the name, SS, and it's the only thing I've had longer than my wife. :laugh:
    3. Actually, I'll probably never give up my NAA single-action .22 magnum SS, for reasons I can't defend anymore, but I love the smallness of it.
    4. My wife thinks I'm going to sell and put the money toward buying a car. :dunno: I said the $$ will never hit the savings account before I buy another (others). :popcorn:
    5. Fortunately, I am quite fond of the wife, but must convince her she is #1, not the motorcycle, or antique car, or gun or whatever collectible I'm going after that I love to be obsessed with.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm just curious, how much time at the range today to weed out the herd?

I can't shoot that much different stuff at the range in one trip (Ok, well there is the fact that I don't own that many disparate firearms... my motto is stack them deep, but not wide). But the main reason is that I just really don't like adjusting that much to different styles of firearms, etc in a single range trip. I can handle them all fine, etc no issues there, but just don't really feel like I focused/was proficient while I was there.

However, all that said, in your case it sounds like your time was really productive for the goal of the range trip (thinning the herd).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm just curious, how much time at the range today to weed out the herd?

I can't shoot that much different stuff at the range in one trip (Ok, well there is the fact that I don't own that many disparate firearms... my motto is stack them deep, but not wide). But the main reason is that I just really don't like adjusting that much to different styles of firearms, etc in a single range trip. I can handle them all fine, etc no issues there, but just don't really feel like I focused/was proficient while I was there.

However, all that said, in your case it sounds like your time was really productive for the goal of the range trip (thinning the herd).

1. About 1.5 hours, all free with my free passes and I even put 6 targets on my gift card I got for Xmas from daughter: sweet!
    2. I just started with the tip-up barrels that fit in the end section of my gym bag and took notes on a 3x5 card.
    3. I then took out gun box after gun box from the bag, loading up from my separate ammo bag, housing 6 different calibers (didn't take the 38 or 22 magnum).
    4. I am not focused and I am not proficient, and never will be, so flitting from one gun to another is my idea of fun.
    5. With my trifocal eyeglasses I can barely get a focus on the sites b/c my arthritis impedes neck movement: sad, this aging thing. :oldwise:
    6. At only 7 yds, I have to use binoculars to see where I'm hitting the target b/c I can't see the holes being made in the targets with any color other than white: sad and pathetic, but I'm having fun!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. About 1.5 hours, all free with my free passes and I even put 6 targets on my gift card I got for Xmas from daughter: sweet!
    2. I just started with the tip-up barrels that fit in the end section of my gym bag and took notes on a 3x5 card.
    3. I then took out gun box after gun box from the bag, loading up from my separate ammo bag, housing 6 different calibers (didn't take the 38 or 22 magnum).
    4. I am not focused and I am not proficient, and never will be, so flitting from one gun to another is my idea of fun.
    5. With my trifocal eyeglasses I can barely get a focus on the sites b/c my arthritis impedes neck movement: sad, this aging thing. :oldwise:
    6. At only 7 yds, I have to use binoculars to see where I'm hitting the target b/c I can't see the holes being made in the targets with any color other than white: sad and pathetic, but I'm having fun!

I've got some shooting glasses with the "reader", magnified (like these... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UO4OVQ6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IG6M28TDJD3VC&colid=2UEGAQD6R978B&psc=0 can't remember which power I have off the top of my head). May not work for you, but help me out pretty well. It allows you to align and see the sights with your head in the right position.

That's a lot of guns to shoot in 1.5 hours and make decisions. I'd say that was efficient.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've got some shooting glasses with the "reader", magnified (like these... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UO4OVQ6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IG6M28TDJD3VC&colid=2UEGAQD6R978B&psc=0 can't remember which power I have off the top of my head). May not work for you, but help me out pretty well. It allows you to align and see the sights with your head in the right position.

That's a lot of guns to shoot in 1.5 hours and make decisions. I'd say that was efficient.

1. I have thought of using reading glasses to see if that would help, but the cheap ones aren't very good, but I use them at home to watch TV, and even take a pair to the movies so I can recline.
    2. I'll try my "distance" level (TV/driving) and see if that helps, and if so, buy a good pair like you showed me on Amazon.
    3. Thanks for the heads up!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    For iron sights I like the Elvex RX line of full lense reader/safety glasses. I don't have to look through one small spot on them. This makes it easy to use whether you're standing or leaned over a bench using a rest. Admittedly, I have to swap them out if I want to see at a distance but I have the same style with no correction anyway for general range wear/red dots/scopes.

Select a diopter that is a a compromise between seeing the front sight and the target HEAVILY favoring the front sight.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    4. My wife thinks I'm going to sell and put the money toward buying a car.

Funny how wives have already earmarked any funds that would be generated by selling YOUR guns.

A couple of Beretta tip-ups might have to find their way into my safe. And neither of our wives would have to know.:D

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For iron sights I like the Elvex RX line of full lense reader/safety glasses. I don't have to look through one small spot on them. This makes it easy to use whether you're standing or leaned over a bench using a rest. Admittedly, I have to swap them out if I want to see at a distance but I have the same style with no correction anyway for general range wear/red dots/scopes.

Select a diopter that is a a compromise between seeing the front sight and the target HEAVILY favoring the front sight.

1. Good point, b/c I was thinking since I have trifocals there is no way seeing the sight 2' away on the gun, and the target 21' away was going to work well with 1 magnification level.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Funny how wives have already earmarked any funds that would be generated by selling YOUR guns.

A couple of Beretta tip-ups might have to find their way into my safe. And neither of our wives would have to know.:D

1. Well, that's what happens when you have shared savings accounts instead of separate: I took money out of "our" account. :dunno:
    2. I told her I took the money out of my account, but wasn't going to put it back it since it is "our" account now.
    3. I told her since I'm still working it's my account. Neither humorous comment was met well with a good reception and the humor was lost on her. :laugh:
    4. She brought up her best card: "I thought we were saving up to buy a car." :ugh:
    5. She knows I can sell any gun any time, and I've proved it over and over, and she wouldn't mind a "couple" but...........(you know the rest of the story).
    6. She knows me well enough to know it's not the gun (s): it's the hunt, which will never end, she says, and I have to agree.
    7. It's kind of like the clothes in your closet: the rule is for everything I buy, I have to get rid of something. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good report, sounds like a fun range trip.

1. It was, especially since it had been 3.5 months.
    2. Now that I've "broken-the-ice" and gone for the 1st time, I'll get back before too long.
    3. I would like to try out the magnum cylinder in my Ruger single-action before I list it to sell. Someone might even buy it before I list it and I'll miss my chance.
    4. I couldn't find any .22 magnum when I went through my ammo Monday. I had some b/c of my NAA single action SS 5 shot 22 magnum.
    5. I need to find time to list a gun for sale so I can justify buying the S/W M/P Compact 22 (or Browning Buck Mark Field Target 22 or Browning 1911-22) that I went to buy last week but my license had the wrong address on it, which I corrected the next day.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I have thought of using reading glasses to see if that would help, but the cheap ones aren't very good, but I use them at home to watch TV, and even take a pair to the movies so I can recline.
    2. I'll try my "distance" level (TV/driving) and see if that helps, and if so, buy a good pair like you showed me on Amazon.
    3. Thanks for the heads up!

yeah, the main thing about the ones I linked, is that the "reader"/magnified section is at the top, where you want it for looking down iron sights. It's in the opposite places most readers have the magnification. But then when you look through the "normal" center of the lens you can see the target fine as there is no correction there.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Sounds like a good time. Last year I sold a bunch of guns, bought a new house and moved, bought a bigger safe, and then bought a bunch of new guns to replace what I sold. I have only been to the range a few times since we moved, and not since before Christmas. Going to Applied Ballistics when I get off work tomorrow to remedy that situation.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Good range report. I usually "weed out" one or two firearms a year, and replace them with something else.

Top Bottom