• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have the opportunity to trade my Sig Tacops 1911 for a Colt Combat Commander. The Sig is a SWEET shooter and has functioned flawlessly to date. But, all my other 1911's are Colts and I LOVE my Colts. My head is telling me to keep the Sig because it is so well built, but my heart is telling me to jump at the Colt. Any thoughts from the INGO 1911 fans?:scratch:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Colt's seem to always have a higher re-sale value than Sig 1911's. Should you ever want/need too sell one, the Colt name will get more views and sell quicker.
    And the "Fossil" in me, remembers two years ago, on a black Friday sale you could get a Tac Ops package for $699.
    I have never forgotten, so to me a Tac Ops will always be a $700 dollar pistol.

You have other Colt's, keep your 1911's Colt's and make it a true "collection".

If you don't know what "Fossil" means, look through my other posts for a full definition.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    As much as I love the sigs they are right. A colt is a colt. Especially a 1911 colt. It might have the streamlined slide or the fancy coca grips but it’s a true 1911. I can’t believe I just said that..

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    My first 1911 was and remains a Sig Traditional Match Elite. It is a fantastic firearm: flawless functionality and extremely accurate. Notwithstanding my love of this pistol, I’ve always wanted a Colt 1911. So what happens? Santa brought me a new Colt Government Model 1911 in “God’s 1911 Caliber” (.45 acp) for Christmas. Now I’ve got two fantastic 1911’s to play with. I’m a very happy camper!

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a fan of the Sigs. I love the feel of the slide, like it's been built with ball bearings. The front strap checkering is good and the controls well done. And, I've seen sloppy work by Colt. Having said all of that, if you can check the Colt and it's a good one: Go for the Colt.

And the "Fossil" in me, remembers two years ago, on a black Friday sale you could get a Tac Ops package for $699.
    I have never forgotten, so to me a Tac Ops will always be a $700 dollar pistol.

I have that same problem with the Sig P938. I picked one up two years ago on black Friday for $499 and it now seems like they should be no more than $550 new and $450 used. I've been wanting to pick up another P938 but just can't bring myself to spend $50 to $75 more for used than I spent for a new pistol. The P938 will always be a $500 gun to me now.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Don’t listen to these old timers, keep the Sig. but if you don’t mind, pm me with whose selling that colt...it’s for research...yeah...

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Well....I looked at the Colt and there is something not right about it. The barrel locks into the slide ok, but the feed ramp on the frame didn't line up correctly with the frame (at least not to my eye). He admitted that he had polished the feed ramp and replaced the series 80 safety with a block plate. I didn't have a good feeling about his mechanical abilities or talents to be working on it. I ended up backing out of the trade.

However, a co-worker has been drooling over the Sig since I got it. So we worked out a deal and I sold it to him for $200 more than I had in it. We'll close the deal on Friday and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I really like the Sig, but it's not a gun that I would fondle while watching TV....my Colts are.

Bottom line, I'll take my new found cash and start looking for a Colt that pulls at my heart when I see it.

Thanks to everyone for reaffirming what I wanted to do in the first place. That's what I love INGO:ingo:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I love Sigs. Great guns. Colt 1911's, can't be beat, he wrote the book. Don't blame you for trading/selling for a Colt.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Commanders are good carry guns, prefer a reg Gov model for target/plinking.
    Colt has the name.............big whoop.
    Collectors want NIB.

Bought my Combat Commander yrs ago, it gets carried/shot. So it aint mint.
    Been flawless.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Sounds like your in the market for a new COLT Commander..

I too would have passed on the other mentioned..
    Seems like just about every 1911 owner becomes a gunsmith in his own mind & when they break out the Dremel tool on them you gotta question the work..

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Colts will always be Colts, and now that's a good thing. I remember a time when it was said that to get a good Colt, you had to buy one for about a grand, then send it off to be rebuilt (for about a grand) . I'm told that that is no longer the case. I still have the first handgun I purchased, a Colt 1911, built in 1913 (or so I am told). It was a bit of a beater, then, never a looker, but much better (quite reliable) now; and it is a Colt. I suppose that if it just comes down to "How does it shoot", and how long does it last, the Sig is still a great product. If price is an issue, maybe a good used Star PD (no two.....two is one, one is none), with a box of recoil buffers.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom