• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I have been looking for a better bug gun for carry than my Colt M1991A1 Compact
    In the past I've had a Glock 17, 17L, 19 & 26..
    I liked the G26 & about three years ago held a G42 in .380acp & just a few days back saw a G43 with nightsights used for $425
    I also just saw a SIG P365 iirc? It also looked to be a very small 9mm..
    What say you all who have one or both or maybe even the SIG..
    I have holsters, connectors, GAP floorplates etc. for the G26 in my stash but that wouldn't really sway me as I think the Gen4 G43 might be what I'm leaning towards.. Who knows might even sell/trade my Colt as it's a brick compared to the Glocks, BUT I've had it for 25 years..

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a 26, some 19's and the 43.

If you are looking for a reasonably sized gun for shooting, but very flat and concealable, and are ok with the limited number of rounds, the 43 is a great gun. However, as you mentioned if you have a bunch of mags from Glock 17's/19's, etc the 26 can share mags, and holsters, etc. I can't speak to the Sig.

What is your preferred carry method, as that may make a difference in which you would prefer. I've carried the 19, 26 and 43 IWB and go with the 43 when I want ultra conceal/flat to the body, though I doubt anyone would notice the 26 or even a 19 in the same position.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    That new SIG looks pretty sweet I'm looking forward to fondling one. I have both a 26 and 43. Like everything, there are a lot of factors that go into it. The slimness of the 43 makes IWB carry so much easier, especially since I carry AIWB. With some Taran baseplates the capacity of it isn't too bad, I use a plus +1 for 8 rounds in the gun with a +3 giving me 9 in my spare mag. I rarely carry my 26 in any configuration other than OWB.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Compatibility with magazines would make me go with the 26. The ability to make it instantly a 'high capacity' defense weapon is a big plus in my mind. I have a 27 and a 22. I typically carry a smaller capacity 27 magazine, and a full size .40 mag as a backup. I have a cheap grip extending sleeve that fits the bottom of the mag.
    The only reason I stick with Glock is the inter-changeability of the mags/holsters. Can't beat the utility man.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Which Glock for my next Bug/Mouse G26 or G43?

I sold off all the magazines for the G26, G19 & G17/G17L..
    Still have a nice leather OWB for the Glocks, open bottom = fits them all, might be loose on the G43?
    Really like the size of the G43 & so far am leaning toward that for a bug.. Having 6+1 doesn't bother me one bit, I'm used to having 6-7 rounds & don't see things like some = I know if I need a firearm for protection I won't need a 33rd stick mag to help me as shot placement is the key, also having the gun with you in the first place is #1, I always thought the G26 was kinda fat for it's size.. I need to go handle a G43 & see what it's all about, The G26 I already know what it is..
    Maybe even shoot a G43 if one of the local ranges has one..
    I carried a five shot S&W centennial for over two decades, Never once felt like I needed a bunch of reloads etc.
    I'm looking for a BUG & I think the Glock 43 might be my next?? I need to go back up to that Pawn Shop with the Gen4 G43 with Trijicons & have a real close look at that little mouse, I know that most Gen4s have a 6-7 pound trigger pull & a rough serrated trigger on the sub-compacts, I don't care for the finger grooves but those could easily be made perfect, The RTF texture I'm not sure of, I once had a G17 RTF2 that was rough like 36 grit sandpaper & it couldn't be carried next to your skin, It was just too rough.. then there's the Gen5s without finger grooves but they have an ambi slide stop lever which I don't care for at all.. I guess the perfect Glock hasn't been made yet or at least at the factory.. I know I can buy a smooth face trigger for the G43 & remove the finger grooves but maybe it would be OK as is? Might even be able to get someone on the forum here to sell/trade me their G43?

Thought that maybe there would be some guys with both the G26 & G43 that could tell me their thoughts on the G43 over the G26..
    I'm sure the slimmer lighter pistol would be the one to come out on top BUT you never know..
    Gary/Hk

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I sold off all the magazines for the G26, G19 & G17/G17L..
    Still have a nice leather OWB for the Glocks, open bottom = fits them all, might be loose on the G43?
    Really like the size of the G43 & so far am leaning toward that for a bug.. Having 6+1 doesn't bother me one bit, I'm used to having 6-7 rounds & don't see things like some = I know if I need a firearm for protection I won't need a 33rd stick mag to help me as shot placement is the key, also having the gun with you in the first place is #1, I always thought the G26 was kinda fat for it's size.. I need to go handle a G43 & see what it's all about, The G26 I already know what it is..
    Maybe even shoot a G43 if one of the local ranges has one..
    I carried a five shot S&W centennial for over two decades, Never once felt like I needed a bunch of reloads etc.
    I'm looking for a BUG & I think the Glock 43 might be my next?? I need to go back up to that Pawn Shop with the Gen4 G43 with Trijicons & have a real close look at that little mouse, I know that most Gen4s have a 6-7 pound trigger pull & a rough serrated trigger on the sub-compacts, I don't care for the finger grooves but those could easily be made perfect, The RTF texture I'm not sure of, I once had a G17 RTF2 that was rough like 36 grit sandpaper & it couldn't be carried next to your skin, It was just too rough.. then there's the Gen5s without finger grooves but they have an ambi slide stop lever which I don't care for at all.. I guess the perfect Glock hasn't been made yet or at least at the factory.. I know I can buy a smooth face trigger for the G43 & remove the finger grooves but maybe it would be OK as is? Might even be able to get someone on the forum here to sell/trade me their G43?

Thought that maybe there would be some guys with both the G26 & G43 that could tell me their thoughts on the G43 over the G26..
    I'm sure the slimmer lighter pistol would be the one to come out on top BUT you never know..
    Gary/Hk

I have both. From what you have said about the 26, get the 43. Newer 43's reportedly have better triggers than the first release batch. Both of my 43's have very good triggers, IMO. I have one USA made 43 and one Austria made 43.

No finger grooves on a 43 frame. The trigger is grooved. It won't fit the other Glock holsters you have.

Not sure if the texture on the 43 is technically RTF2 or not, but I don't find it very rough, or any rougher than my other Glocks. You want rough, go checkout an S&W M&P 2.0 of any flavor.

As others have stated, +2 floor plates for the mags are made by various good sources, I'd have to dig up the box on the ones I got, but they function 100% no issues. I generally carry a flush fit mag in it and an extra mag with the +2 floor plate.

43 is a super easy to carry gun, but then I haven't had issues with too many. I've IWB carried it the entire drive to FL without any comfort issues, etc.

Last edited:

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I like to carry IWB & have carried cross draw for long rides in the car, The holster is really the key to comfort, There are so many kydex holsters available, Cheap too!! My last bug/mouse was a S&W all stainless centennial 940 JFYI, I also had a 642 that I fit a 9mm cylinder into because I could..Made a 942..

The grip texture RTF is smoother than RTF2 for sure, After doing a google search I got the info that the Gen4s have RTF3 which is a texture in between, In fact it says that Gen3 Glocks have RTF, The RTF2 G17 I had was really rough & had odd V shaped fish gill cocking serrations, Should have kept that one as they are sought after now days.. Looks like the RTF has less pyrimids & RTF2 has more? I know that the tips of the pyrimids could be scuffed off with fine sandpaper if needed.

I have had issues in the past two years with kidney stones & severe pain back there on the rt side about 4-5 o-clock where I would normally carry IWB, I need to change up to maybe OWB or cross draw just because of the pain. Hurts way worse than anyone that's never had issues could even imagine.. I had surgery 12/4/17 but it's still hurting. I haven't put my Colt on back there in quite a while now.. I also tore both my rotator cuffs years back & they healed fairly well, At one time I couldn't reach up near or past my belt line, Never had them fixed, Did it the old fashioned way = let my body do it slowly..

Guess I need to get down to some of the gun stores & have a look at the whole batch of newer Glocks & just may wait till 1/22/18 to go see the 19X as well
    I will hit Orion as they have the most inventory around this area.. And Fall City Firearms too!!

I will also Note that GAP that sold the nice floorplates for the Glocks seems to have went out of business, I have one left of the G26/27/33 plates.

I'm pretty sure that the smaller thinner lighter less ammo capacity Glock 43 will be the next pistol I snatch for concealed carry but as there are also the S&W Shields & SIGs we will just have to wait and see..

glockRTF.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I like to carry IWB & have carried cross draw for long rides in the car, The holster is really the key to comfort, There are so many kydex holsters available, Cheap too!! My last bug/mouse was a S&W all stainless centennial 940 JFYI, I also had a 642 that I fit a 9mm cylinder into because I could..Made a 942..

The grip texture RTF is smoother than RTF2 for sure, After doing a google search I got the info that the Gen4s have RTF3 which is a texture in between, In fact it says that Gen3 Glocks have RTF, The RTF2 G17 I had was really rough & had odd V shaped fish gill cocking serrations, Should have kept that one as they are sought after now days.. Looks like the RTF has less pyrimids & RTF2 has more? I know that the tips of the pyrimids could be scuffed off with fine sandpaper if needed.

I have had issues in the past two years with kidney stones & severe pain back there on the rt side about 4-5 o-clock where I would normally carry IWB, I need to change up to maybe OWB or cross draw just because of the pain. Hurts way worse than anyone that's never had issues could even imagine.. I had surgery 12/4/17 but it's still hurting. I haven't put my Colt on back there in quite a while now.. I also tore both my rotator cuffs years back & they healed fairly well, At one time I couldn't reach up near or past my belt line, Never had them fixed, Did it the old fashioned way = let my body do it slowly..

Guess I need to get down to some of the gun stores & have a look at the whole batch of newer Glocks & just may wait till 1/22/18 to go see the 19X as well
    I will hit Orion as they have the most inventory around this area.. And Fall City Firearms too!!

I will also Note that GAP that sold the nice floorplates for the Glocks seems to have went out of business, I have one left of the G26/27/33 plates.

I'm pretty sure that the smaller thinner lighter less ammo capacity Glock 43 will be the next pistol I snatch for concealed carry but as there are also the S&W Shields & SIGs we will just have to wait and see..

Kind of in a similar boat, except for the surgery. I've dealt with kidney stones for quite a while, they suck and hit me very hard. I know some people that can work through them but it's different for me. On top of all the other fun stuff that comes with them they cause me to vomit, hard, every 45 - 90 minutes until the stone passes several days later. No food, can't keep it down besides maybe soup, no sleep longer than 90 minutes, all for 4 days. I've had 7 of them. I was also diagnosed with diverticulitis last year. Not fun.

All this has changed what and how I carry. IWB G19 and M&P's hurt to carry now. Occasionally I'll carry one of then OWB but most of it time it's something else. A 642, sometimes a Kahr P9. I have leather OWB holsters for these and they do well. I have a Walther PPS M2 that I love but am having a hard time finding a holster for. I have a Vedder IWB that was great until all this happened.

I'm also a firm believer that a pistol is a paperweight without mags. Every handgun I own, except the PPS, has 10 mags at a minimum. The PPS mags are $40 each, if you can find them. I'm curious to see what the new Sig 365 is like, but I have a feeling a Shield or Glock 43 will be next.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not to derail the thread, but I'm friends with a firearms engineer that worked at a major competitor, and he doesn't like the 43 because Glock didn't put the R&D needed into it. They basically took a 42, which they did design and test well, and made it into a 43. He described it as too snappy and also had concerns about reliability (they had to send both their test units they purchased to Glock for repair). FWIW, he carries an older Shield. He loves other Glocks though, just not the 43 though he does own one. Maybe Glock has quietly made improvements since the ones they tested?

Hopefully I can shoot his 43 and Shield back to back in the next couple months. However, I used to carry a 27 when I did CC so may stay with a 26 that I plan to get soon.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...He described it as too snappy and also had concerns about reliability...

FWIW...I bought my G43 in 2016 and have had zero issues with it. It is first on my list for a carry gun and fun at the range.

To me, the original Ruger LCP is TOO snappy. A G43 with 124gr +P ammo is fine and non +P ammo is very pleasant to shoot.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Any & all info is greatly appreciated..

You can tell that the G43 evolved from a G26..
    Makes me wonder about serial # range??
    The 2016 you speak of what are it's letter prefixes of it's serial#

I know google is my friend..
    Gary/Hk

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I've got first hand knowledge that the G43 can be used to pass the FBI Exam CoF. The shooter had trouble with the +4 extensions during reloads not releasing, but they used replacement guts for factory mags from MagGuts which gave them a +1 to any factory mags, so 6+1 would become 7+1...

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Only skimmed all the above.
    I had a 26 (gen 3); Wife has a 19 (also Gen 3). When the 42 came out the (adult) daughter got one of the those. Later the 43 came out and the wife wasn't always carrying her 19, but she didn't like the 26 even for a range gun. So I traded my 26 so the wife would always carry the 43; it's and early one and still breaking the trigger in a bit.

I've carried it and while my next goal is to replace my 26, I have carried her 43 (both IWB and OWB). It carries really easily. I can already see me adding a 2nd one for myself.
    Oh and for comparison - my EDCDC (EDC, Deep Conceal ... aka BUG, but often only carry) is a Kahr CW380.
    I needed smaller (than Glocks) to maintain concealed. I almost went with the CM9 but it is a tad bigger.

On shooting the 43 - It shoot well and we've had no issues - recoil is (IMO) less w/ this and std 115 FMJ than w/ the 42's FMJ 380's.
    (Far LESS snappy vs what was 2nd hand above)

And we've not had any issue w/ the 135+p Crit Duty round that are in the 43 for Daily carry.

YMMV but go try it. (and the trigger, even the original, is way better than a shield, again IMO)

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville

Thanks!! I'll just try an use that to see if the used one local was made before or after 2016, Of course we don't know how long they sit in the pipeline, I wouldn't think long = They are made in gorgia & sent right out.. The first G43 I saw was april 2015.. JFYI The first Glock 19 I had was LH***, They must have made several billion since then
    It's crazy but this one local pawn shop has a half dozen Glocks in their case that weren't there a few weeks ago, either someone dumped all their gear there or lots of guys are selling them because they've heard the Gen5s are more accurate?? They had a $1200 SIG 1911 that sold within a week?? WHAT??

Well I will have to just get around & look & see.. Right now the financial advisers aren't gonna allow for a new pistol till after the house taxes are paid & a few other issues
    You can't run yourself short buying guns when you already have a great carry piece..

also I always liked the idea that I could use G17 G18 G19 magazines in my G26.. +1 for the Glock 26

Top Bottom