• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    I have an opportunity to get one of these and was wondering if anyone had any valuable information on these? I know this one is from the mid 1980s. Being fairly new to all this, I know Ruger is a trustworthy brand (at least now) but any info or advice would be awesome!

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago. I'm in love with Colt Pythons except I don't have $2000+ to spend. So naturally I searched for other big 357 revolvers. It came down to the GP 100 and the Smith and Wesson 586. I really wanted a blued gun with wood grips. I ended up getting the 586 in a 6" barrel because once I saw it and held it, I couldn't let go. The GP100 and S&W 586 (or 686) are very similar, and both come from great reputable companies. A GP100 is going to shoot well, and I've read that they are pretty much just tanks capable of handling really hot 357 loads. I bought the Smith for aesthetics, and the name, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Ruger.

That being said, I was researching new reviews and articles so I can't speak to 1980s Ruger quality, I'm sure someone here knows more than I do.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Agree with Crusader, the GP100 is rugged and reliable. Doesn't matter if it's a older version. Really be nice if it came in the original yellow or red box. 500-550 would be fair deal if it's in excellent condition with box and papers.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I have the stainless 4.2" barrel model, I gave my dad the stainless 6" barrel model as a retirement gift last summer, and a couple other NWI guys have some GP 100s that get rounds through them as Meet & Shoots https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/groups/northwest+indiana.html . That would be a great opportunity to test one out if you and those people are in attendance, or at one of the local ranges.
    They shoot great. They are built like a tank because Ruger overbuilds a lot of their firearms, which I can appreciate :). I have countless rounds through mine with 0 problems. I changed the grips and sights (fiber optic) one mine and dad wanted the same sights on his. Both installations were easy to do. You can shoot .357 magnum and .38 special rounds through it. I have several other Ruger firearms if that tells you anything.

I had a voluntary recall on a different Ruger firearm https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/438051-ruger-mark-iv-recall-2.htmland the customer service was personable and did a good job.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I have a stainless 6" barrel GP100. It is one of my favorites. I put William's Fire sights on it it ,it is awesome. Every household should have a .357. I also have a S&W .357. I believe them to be quite equal on the range. Can't get enough.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had one that I bought in the late 80's, early 90's, and it was an excellent gun. 6" Stainless Steel, and I wish I had it back. By comparison I rid myself of a Colt King Cobra 6" Stainless to get it, and even though the King Cobra would sell for a lot more these days, I wouldn't say it was actually "worth" any where close to that the GP100 was. The King Cobra was either built on a Monday morning of a Friday afternoon, but that GP100 was a well build, accurate gun.

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    I agree with all the above positive comments. I have an older 4" GP 100 that I resurrected cosmetically. I also have a number of 686s and a few other revolvers. The GP100 will be one of the last guns I sell.

Your not going to find many owner with regrets. And the front sight is so easy to swap out, I don't know why every mfg doesn't copy it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Ruger cane out with the GP 100 to counter the S&W L frames and replace the Security Six line. Bill Ruger stated there was so much hand fitting on the Security Six he made little profit.

The GP is a great revolver. Newer samples might have rougher triggers and are definitely bot as smooth out if the box (but about all manufacturers suffer that compared to older samples) but good news is with little mechanical abilities about anyone can take a Ruger apart and put say Wolf spring kits in. Even Ruger has videos on their website

But if it's a sample from the late 1980's it's probably got a good trigger.

And any speed loaders for a S&W L frame 586/686 fits the GP 100.

Great guns

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    The Ruger GP series are built like tanks and will last many lifetimes. Just keep them clean and give them a little care. The are able to shoot the mildest 38 Special loads all the way up to the max 357 loads. Easy to carry also. Enjoy it.

Krock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    NW Indiana
    I agree with what everyone else has written. I also have the 4" Stainless Steel model. I use it for home defense and the range - it is too heavy/bulky for me to consider it for EDC. It is a great one to have, you will not regret it if you decide to purchase one.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I owned a 2000- era gp100 4 inch, amd now own a GP100 Match champion.
    Great guns. Depending when the owner bought it, and if they know how revolvers have kept/gained value ... u might able to get it for $400. $500-550 is fair market value.
    The gp100 is a great gun. When i bought mine, i started reloading also, and have shot about 2k rounds thru it and love it

khayden65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    United States
    I have owned two Match Champion GP100’s and just purchased the new 7-shot GP-100 with a 4.2” barrel. Yes these are built robustly, and in my opinion the 4.2” full underlug is the best looking .357 revolver built today! Loved the M/C but just couldn’t get used to the half lug. Wish Ruger would make the M/C in a full lug slab side. That would be one sexy revolver.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a 4" blue GP100 I bought new in 1989. Great revolver!! Almost sold it several years ago. So glad I did not.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ruger GP100......

A nicer front sight profile (like old Millet no longer made), no bevel to the lug at muzzle............and a "Hunter model" w rib scallops for Ruger rings (or Fastfire in said scallop). They should do it.

Bet they won't.

For others equally put off by the Ruger front sight, think Bowen makes a blank for it (maybe reg bead blade).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a stainless 6" barrel GP100. It is one of my favorites. I put William's Fire sights on it it ,it is awesome. Every household should have a .357. I also have a S&W .357. I believe them to be quite equal on the range. Can't get enough.

1. I had a Taurus 357 for home but I got alot of static about over-penetration in a home.
    2. I could have just used .38 ammo in it, but I found a Stainless Smith 38 6 shot for $400 and I had to have it, so I sold the Taurus for $275.
    3. Later, I found another Smith 38 like it for $300 and bought it also and sold the other one for $350 (splitting the difference) b/c a member here wanted it, and we had bought and sold guns between us, so I didn't ask the $400 price like I had planned.
    4. I've heard nothing but good things about the Ruger revolvers, and I've only been around since May 2017, and having been reading alot to learn.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Front sight is simple to change out in GP100. I have a Hiviz sight on mine. Original trigger can be a bit heavy but lighter springs will fix it.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I have a 4" blue GP100 I bought new in 1989. Great revolver!! Almost sold it several years ago. So glad I did not.

Same here but in a 6" with a fiber optic sight. It's a very balanced shooter and the extra weight negates recoil very well. It's a great revolver!

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    My go to carry around the property gun is a 3” adj sight GP100. I added a tritium front sight with a nice white ring. Factory rear sight. I have shot “barely get out of the tube 38’s” to HSM 180gr bear loads and it eats them up. Very well built revolver.

Top Bottom