You have $500 for a used .45. What would you get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you intend to put a lot of rounds through it, I'd avoid an internal extractor P220...and I'm a big fan of the P220. For a "just to have" or something you may put a few thousand rounds through over the course of it's life, no problem. High round count, I'd look for a short external extractor due to a more robust design and spare parts availability.

Also note some stainless internal extractor P220s were problematic, experiencing failure to eject.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/739325763 is a short extractor if the cosmetic issues and poo brown color don't bother you.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Smith 4506-1 or CZ97 - I believe both are still in the classifieds. I'm not going to look as I am trying really hard to not buy that early CZ97!

My son had a Ruger 1911 and it was a fine firearm for the price. Not sure you could find one for $500 but I could be wrong?

EDIT: Yep. I could be wrong....You would think I would pay to attention to BBI's post!!! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/740612734

Last edited:

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Very uneducated in this area, though the CZ might have +1 as they have some roots in K.C. The Stoeger seems really cool, wonder about parts? I really like the absence of the pointy tail. What is Stoeger/Beretta support like?

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have had good experiences in the past with Beretta service although, I only needed it once. I don't pound on my .45 like I do my 9 mm pistols.

The Cougars are basically an all metal PX4 made with Beretta machinery by Stoeger who is owned by Benelli who is owned by Beretta.

Very uneducated in this area, though the CZ might have +1 as they have some roots in K.C. The Stoeger seems really cool, wonder about parts? I really like the absence of the pointy tail. What is Stoeger/Beretta support like?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    +1 for Ruger 1911. Very reliable, as I have put a few thousand through mine with minimal failures (95% of which were during break-in period, others during various mag manufacturer tests)

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Unique is always cool, especially if it's reliable. The Stoeger, for its price, sounds like it might be worth a try. No idea how good PX4s are (only know 1 guy with one). If its reliable, why not have it be a conversation starter too? 1911- will always want one, though if money weren't an issue? USP!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    $500 I would pick up a used or new Glock or M&P. 9mm. Spend the rest on ammo, mags, holster, belt.

Used, .45 ACP, no polymer. I agree with the Ruger SR1911

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you are wanting a 1911, that kind of money might get you a used Springfield. But, if not that, then as other's have mentioned, the used 97B sure would be nice. If you are just looking for a good solid .45, it's hard to beat a G21sf. They are big, but are pretty nice shooters and make a great nightstand gun. 13+1 rounds of .45 will get anyone's attention. The SAR K2 is worth a look too. They are built like a tank and are also nice shooters. With 14+1 on board an all steel gun, it is hefty but is sweet to shoot. If you run out of bullets, the gun makes a great club too.

But, if I had $500 and wanted a good .45, I'd be looking for a used Glock 21. I paid $399 for mine a couple of years back.

Top Bottom