• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Picked up a Glock Gen5 17 recently. Finally got to the range with it. Noticed beforehand that the rear sight was very slightly off center. The other Glocks I have do not have that. I should mention that gun is still stock. While at the range I had completely forgotten about it. It shot very well. No issues and pretty accurate at many distances from 3 to 25 yards. Just thought I’d see what experiences other INGO members are having with this model. Good, bad, or otherwise.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I do not own one as I have more than several Gen 1 and 2 M17s but have had opportunity to shoot a Gen 5 twice now. Maybe 200 rounds on the trigger.

Gen 5 is a vast improvement over the Gen4 debacle and see many advantages over Gen1.

I won't be buying one as I have another hole to fill in my armory but could see this as a solid choice.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Picked up a Glock Gen5 17 recently. Finally got to the range with it. Noticed beforehand that the rear sight was very slightly off center. The other Glocks I have do not have that. I should mention that gun is still stock. While at the range I had completely forgotten about it. It shot very well. No issues and pretty accurate at many distances from 3 to 25 yards. Just thought I’d see what experiences other INGO members are having with model. Good, bad, or otherwise.
    My 17 and 19 both had the rear sight significantly drifted right, they shot straight so when I installed night sights I used the same measurements.
    Best pistol Glock has made.
    I would agree with this. I've owned gen 3s and 4s, subcompact up to 10/45 fullsize and none of them fit my hand as good as the gen 5's. I would give second place to the single stack 42 & 43 in terms of ergos though. I also noticed that accuracy was improved significantly. My guess is thanks to the marksman barrel and improved trigger. I absolutely love the finger grooves being gone. These were the first Glocks for me that didn't need anything done to them except sights.

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Picked up a Glock Gen5 17 recently. Finally got to the range with it. Noticed beforehand that the rear sight was very slightly off center. The other Glocks I have do not have that. I should mention that gun is still stock. While at the range I had completely forgotten about it. It shot very well. No issues and pretty accurate at many distances from 3 to 25 yards. Just thought I’d see what experiences other INGO members are having with model. Good, bad, or otherwise.

:dunno:

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Thanks for the input guys. Got a little more time with it this past weekend. Still no real complaints. Might shoot a little high but not sure if I’m going to keep stock sights anyway. Still glad I bought it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I picked one up used with the the meprolight H3's or whatever they're called, loving the sights.

I have NOT taken it to the range, but I've been dry firing the heck out of the thing. Was going to go Sunday and drove to the range, but it was stupid packed and I don't want to deal with idiots at Roush.

That said, the ERGO's on the 17 are what I wanted my gen 3 19 that I shaved the grooves off and stippled. I honestly find it a better overall pistol, and I haven't fired a single round, BUT I seem to dry fire it much better. Weird.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The Glock LE Manager for this region is a good friend, and I had the opportunity, last year, to shoot both the Gen5 19 and Gen5 17, but not extensively. Appear to be great guns, and the LE manager says the Gen 5 is the best gun Glock has made. The nDLC (new Diamond Like Coating) is vastly superior to previous Glock offerings, and the Gen 5 has the most changes of all the generations. Of the 31 parts (not including magazines), 20 are new to the Gen 5 and are not interchangeable to earlier generations.

However, earlier magazines do work, and connectors are interchangeable. Firing pin springs are interchangeable but not the firing pins themselves. That is good news for those of us who work for lower trigger weights. I have a new Gen 5 model 34 on the way; so, I was glad to hear about the connectors and firing pin springs. Recoil Spring Assemblies are not interchangeable, and I have not, yet, found a supplier for the longer guide rods and flat springs with lighter weights.

Same goes for the trigger spring, which, now, is a compression spring instead of extension, but, like the recoil spring assemblies, I am sure the after-market suppliers will, soon, offer such items.

Looking forward to getting the gun and putting a few hundred rounds downrange!

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I have read the statement "Best gun Glock has ever made" a few times now. I have neither the experience nor the point of reference to address that statement. In terms of statements made on the on the internet, I look for a large sample size before I attach any meaning to it. I will say that I would rather see that than "Brass to the face" and similar unflattering comments made about the Gen 4 guns.

Top Bottom