• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a thread I started about my interest in getting a 9mm revolver.
    Bought one after work, and I even have pics this time. :rockwoot:

Charter Arms, SS, 5 shot bought from Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield who has great prices on used guns ($280).
    I bought my first used gun there last May: Charter Arms 38 SS ($250), but sold it to get a new Smith 642 ($300 @ Cabelas b/c of a tip here at INGO).
    Looking back on it I could have just kept the Charter 38 since it would have been fine for my purposes, but I didn't know at the time that I was going to buy a "bevy" of handguns.

This last large pic was taken off the net for your viewing pleasure.

jvdaxxa.jpg
    ft3XHdy.jpg
    dG0PWYR.jpg
    LAHIVcI.jpg
    AgcmdY1.jpg
    CharterArms9mmPitBull_MuzzleLeft-750x535.jpg

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Yes, I can't wait to see how the "kick" is compared to the .38.

This is an interesting table (Handgun Recoil Table) which tells us what one would expect to see - slightly more recoil than 38 ALL other factors being equal. 9mm has more velocity than 38 in standard loads and thus more recoil. In my limited experience and shaky memory with 9mm revolvers the difference isn't much. It'll be fun and 9mm is cheap right now. Blast away!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interested in reading you write up on the new acquisition.

1. You know I will!!! :laugh:

Nice, and it'll go with whatever other 9 you may have.
    2. S/W M/P Shield, and I have bought and sold several to end up with it.

(Personally, I'd like to see Ruger come out with a 3" LCRx in 9mm.)

This is an interesting table (Handgun Recoil Table) which tells us what one would expect to see - slightly more recoil than 38 ALL other factors being equal. 9mm has more velocity than 38 in standard loads and thus more recoil. In my limited experience and shaky memory with 9mm revolvers the difference isn't much. It'll be fun and 9mm is cheap right now. Blast away!
    3. I had read where the 9mm had less recoil, but they did have quite a set of grips on it.

Interesting, I never knew Charter made one of those. Does it use clips of some configuration?
    4. When I did a search for 9mm revolvers, it didn't even come up, either: strange.
    5. No moon clips at all.

Very nice, i recently acquired a 3" 547 revolver. Does not use moon clips. very cool. Having fixed sights make sure you find a load that it likes.
    6. You mean all 9mm ammo is not created equal? :lmfao:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congratulations...I've considered looking into one of those revolvers. I'm curious as to how well the integrated spring-clip works for case retention?

Enjoy!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations...I've considered looking into one of those revolvers. I'm curious as to how well the integrated spring-clip works for case retention?

Enjoy!

1. I googled to see what you were talking about and got info about holsters???
    2. I think what you are talking about is how easy/difficult the ejection of shells are after shooting?
    3. I have read where there have been issues with some revolvers using 9mm with expansion of the shell and having to push the empty shell out 1 by 1 with a pencil.
    4. I don't know how moon clips fit into all that, hopefully since the Pit Bull doesn't use them it might be smoother.
    5. That is the big issue that I will have to see how it works out.
    6. That, and I have read where some Charter Arms revolvers have shot very very low.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As noted above by a couple others, these 9mm revolvers are fascinating to me. I will also probably keep an eye out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a DeSanti pocket holster with a "front" flap to help hide the "printing" (what I call profile).
    My Smith hammerless 642 5 shot J frame revolver has everything hidden behind the "flap" except just a tiny bit of the corner b/c of the different Delta grips I bought to control being beat up at the range (original grip was all hidden).

The Charter Arms 9mm revolver that I just bought doesn't get all covered up (corner of grip sticks out).
    There is an "arc" of about 1" to 2" on the corner outside bottom edge of the grip that sticks out above the square "flap" of the pocket holster.
    It does not come out of the pants pocket, but is on the edge of it (accetable), depending on how big your pants pocket are, and my dress pants yesterday wouldn't be a problem, but some pants it would be. Not an issue: I now have a choice depending on the size of my pockets.

Which means, although the frame is nearly identical in size with my Smith J frame, the grip is bigger making it take up more room.
    I could get a smaller grip, but I will simply use the Charter Arms when I'm able to carry a little larger profile.
    I really bought it for the range to be less expensive to shoot than my Smith 38 4" barrel that I love (for home defense purposes), with option of sometimes CC.
    I do love the hammer on the Charter, but for carry in a smaller pocket the hammerless has its function (but I don't like it :laugh: : pure function, no joy!

I haven't tried my ankle holster yet.
    That is the downside to SS, for better concealment, black/blue is better for ankle carry since if your pant leg comes up too much while sitting, with your black socks it would lessen being noticed, but with SS showing it would be more easily discerned.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    1. I googled to see what you were talking about and got info about holsters???
    2. I think what you are talking about is how easy/difficult the ejection of shells are after shooting?
    3. I have read where there have been issues with some revolvers using 9mm with expansion of the shell and having to push the empty shell out 1 by 1 with a pencil.
    4. I don't know how moon clips fit into all that, hopefully since the Pit Bull doesn't use them it might be smoother.
    5. That is the big issue that I will have to see how it works out.
    6. That, and I have read where some Charter Arms revolvers have shot very very low.

The "issue" with the spring clip is making sure the cartridge is perfectly seated and not pressed past the spring or short of it. Haven't ever held or shot the Charter Arms so I do not know how this specifically applies to it.

Moon clips have their disadvantages too though I don't mind them.

Looking forward to a range report!

michaelward50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Very nice, i recently acquired a 3" 547 revolver. Does not use moon clips. very cool. Having fixed sights make sure you find a load that it likes.

Great Point about the load. Also, being a revolver, frangables, large mouth hollows, and just about any other round should not give you any functionality issues, just differences in trajectory, etc. So options all around for you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom