• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Hey, I hope you guys and girls can help me out. I am looking to buy a 4 inch 1911 for under $1000. It has to have a Series 70 firing system, a steel frame and a checkered front strap, preferably 20lpi.

I am a fan of the Kimber Super Carry Pro HD, the Colt Wiley Clapp SS Commander and the Dan Wesson Bobtail models. The only problem is they are all way over my price range and it is next to impossible to find a Series I Kimber for sale or a Springfield with front strap checkering in my price range.

I hope there is something out there I just don't know about.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Springfield seems best option if you can live without front checkering, or live with alternative (their octo grip pattern, etc)

With the buyer's market right now, some stores are blowing out old stock, maybe you can find a commander size (you said 4", is 4.25" ok??) new but "old stock"

Used market is the other place to watch :) but I'm sure you know that

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I found a stainless TRP from springfield for 1075 a few months ago (if i remember this was a great price, this model was listed elsewhere at $1400ish).
    The store had it too long taking up shelf space... keeping eyes open and patience can pay off big

I sadly passed on this gun since i was getting a Dan Wesson the next week ;)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Springfield seems best option if you can live without front checkering, or live with alternative (their octo grip pattern, etc)

With the buyer's market right now, some stores are blowing out old stock, maybe you can find a commander size (you said 4", is 4.25" ok??) new but "old stock"

Used market is the other place to watch :) but I'm sure you know that

Yeah, 4.25 is OK. I have a Springfield Trophy Match I installed a fixed rear sight on, worked the internals and had Cerakoted, I use for EDC. It's just a little too long from IWB carry. I'm looking for something comparable to that. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for a Wiley Clapp commander or the Springfield Loaded Champ (PX9142L) to come up for sale used. The Champ wouldn't have the checkering but, I could get it done down the line and with it being SS, I would not have to refinish...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I found a stainless TRP from springfield for 1075 a few months ago (if i remember this was a great price, this model was listed elsewhere at $1400ish).
    The store had it too long taking up shelf space... keeping eyes open and patience can pay off big

I sadly passed on this gun since i was getting a Dan Wesson the next week ;)

Wow!!! That is a great deal! I sold my USED TRP for $1100 a couple years back!!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I believe the Ruger SR1911 commander is a series 70 with a stainless frame. It is far enough under your $1000 budget to have someone cut some checkering on the front strap. Or get one of the Wilson combat grip inserts.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I believe the Ruger SR1911 commander is a series 70 with a stainless frame. It is far enough under your $1000 budget to have someone cut some checkering on the front strap. Or get one of the Wilson combat grip inserts.

I've heard good things about the Ruger SR1911. I'm considering it but hesitant because I'm not too big of a fan. Their newer firearms really haven't impressed me, other than the LCR line. I have to agree the price point leaves me plenty of room for checkering, a good IWB holster and possibly even some ammo!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've heard good things about the Ruger SR1911. I'm considering it but hesitant because I'm not too big of a fan. Their newer firearms really haven't impressed me, other than the LCR line. I have to agree the price point leaves me plenty of room for checkering, a good IWB holster and possibly even some ammo!

In all honesty...I would not rule out a Ruger SR1911 Commander...they are excellent pistols, especially for EDC!

I have an older, 4.2" P-97 DAO .45 acp...and I've out-shot (shoot tighter groups at longer distances) many Kimber and Springfield owner's with it...accuracy is second to none!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

That's a good lookin pistol! Love the front strap treatment and the bobbed mainspring / frame. 80 series and the external extractor scare me. I never really understood why Sig and S&W went that route.

But, that's definitely an option. Keep going back and looking at it... may have to take a trip to a gun shop and get my hands on one...

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I love my SR1911 CMD. Very frequent in the carry rotation. Got mine used @ $600 and did some dress-up. Still contemplating having the front strap fishscaled, and adding a magwell.

xM0Olbe.jpg

I used the inserts for my SR1911 CMD and they lasted about a week. Absolute cheese grater. I was also leery that they may scratch the finish.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down

I have held them but never shot one. I see a lot of people that like them, especially at the price point. I would look at the Range Officer Champion Elite, but it has an alloy frame. You might like the alloy frame for carry.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I love my SR1911 CMD. Very frequent in the carry rotation. Got mine used @ $600 and did some dress-up. Still contemplating having the front strap fishscaled, and adding a magwell.

xM0Olbe.jpg

I used the inserts for my SR1911 CMD and they lasted about a week. Absolute cheese grater. I was also leery that they may scratch the finish.

I have seen others complain about them. I had a set on a series 1 Pro Carry I used to have. They worked fine for me. But the gun was used and they may have been worn down some.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I have held them but never shot one. I see a lot of people that like them, especially at the price point. I would look at the Range Officer Champion Elite, but it has an alloy frame. You might like the alloy frame for carry.

I just picked this gun up 2 weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic! Shoots better than I do, lightweight and good size for carrying.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I just picked this gun up 2 weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic! Shoots better than I do, lightweight and good size for carrying.

I have been looking at them but don't need another one. Right now. Too many irons in the fire as it is. I had a couple of LW Champion Operators a few years ago that I sold. But I really liked them.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I had a Kimber bobtail , that I sold after shooting it I didn't like the grips, and couldn't find rubber aftermarket grips to fit the gun, so take that into consideration before buying a bobtail.

Top Bottom