Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5” 45ACP: BUY??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found this.
    I wanted a 9mm, but this seems priced right: value.
    I could sell when ready to move to another w/o loss, like I do with all (except 1) others.
    Should I hold out for the less expensive 9mm for less ammo costs (45 cost about double of 9mm it seems, or close to it)?
    Is there going to be that much difference between it and my Shield 45?
    Just can't say no to a SS: I have issues with the beauty of them.

USED Ruger SR1911 Government Size 5”. 45ACP.
    Like new condition,
    looks hardly fired (if at all). No box, one magazine.
    $499.95 ( I do have to pay taxes)

Your input please.

Smiths are another $300+
    Even other Rugers like this are $200 more, it seems.

I can't get to the shop where I've bought before today (wife duties), and so it might be sold by Monday after work when I can get there.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    You realize once you start shooting a 1911, you'll need to collect more. Seems a fair price. Good place to start.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Is there going to be that much difference between it and my Shield 45?

Is there a difference between Keystone Light and Sam Adams?

My son had a Govt. Ruger for awhile. I thought it was a fine entry level 1911 for the money. He didn't put a lot of rounds through it (under 1000???) but it ran well with no failures that I recall. Traded it off for a plastic 40SW due to weight/ease of carry.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Should I hold out for the less expensive 9mm for less ammo costs (45 cost about double of 9mm it seems, or close to it)?...
    ...Is there going to be that much difference between it and my Shield 45?...

From your past range reports, you don't go through enough rounds for the higher cost of ammo to make much difference.

Yes, coming from a striker fired polymer pistol, the all steel single action triggered 1911 will provide a completely different shooting experience. A very good one for many of us.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I paid $650 for a new one. Rugers come in a box, not a plastic case, so no box is no big deal. But they do come with two mags. I think they are a good, basic 1911. Mine has been 100% reliable with a couple thousand rounds fired.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Im not an expert but if you are just trying to dip your toes into the 1911 game then why not snag a new or used Rock Island Armory and you can upgrade it as you go.

i think new they are like 400 bucks. Probably find a used one for even less.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Good price, I've always wanted the sr1911 but have not pulled the trigger on one. Good looking pistol,for sure and by accounts here good reliability. I wouldn't hate a commander size.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Decent price for a good gun, that as I know you like to do can later sell or trade off and not take a loss... yeah, buy it. The Ruger should run for you without issues. You can't say that about some of the cheaper 1911's (or some of the more expensive ones for that matter).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me feedback! :thumbsup:

You realize once you start shooting a 1911, you'll need to collect more. Seems a fair price. Good place to start.

Is there a difference between Keystone Light and Sam Adams?

My son had a Govt. Ruger for awhile. I thought it was a fine entry level 1911 for the money. He didn't put a lot of rounds through it (under 1000???) but it ran well with no failures that I recall. Traded it off for a plastic 40SW due to weight/ease of carry.

If you want a 1911, you won't find a better gun for $500. You won't lose money on it if you don't like it.

2. That's what I thought: I have been tracking the price of them, and $500 seemed to be under the norm and Hoosier Armory (my benchmark) had them new for $780
    and that I have seen used ones for $900?

From your past range reports, you don't go through enough rounds for the higher cost of ammo to make much difference.

3. When I go to the range I shoot app. 200-300 rounds.
    4. I have 3000 rounds of 9mm but only a very few boxes of 45, so I would not incur more cost by shooting 9mm, but I have to buy more of the 45, which I am willing to do if the experience is worthwhile.

Yes, coming from a striker fired polymer pistol, the all steel single action triggered 1911 will provide a completely different shooting experience. A very good one for many of us.

I paid $650 for a new one. Rugers come in a box, not a plastic case, so no box is no big deal. But they do come with two mags. I think they are a good, basic 1911. Mine has been 100% reliable with a couple thousand rounds fired.

Im not an expert but if you are just trying to dip your toes into the 1911 game then why not snag a new or used Rock Island Armory and you can up grade it as you go.

5. Rock Island was recommended to me, but I understood them not to be a top-tier gun, so buying a used top-tier (Smith, Ruger, Beretta, Sig, etc.) would be easier for resale and less prone to "issues."
    Marksman has 3 models all $650ish and Hoosier Armory they start around $400, but the 5 inch barrels start in low $500 but to get the SS also, it is upper $500 (near $600).
    7. I thought a used Ruger would be worth more at resale time: my utmost concern.
    8. I don't care if I paid more to get a better model if I got it for the "wholesale"
    price, like I think with this Ruger for $500.

Good price, I've always wanted the sr1911 but have not pulled the trigger on one. Good looking pistol,for sure and by accounts here good reliability. I wouldn't hate a commander size.

They are good guns, especially at that price.
    Buy it, shoot it, you'll be hooked

Thats fair and about right. buy it!! the 2 i had never failed me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ruger makes a fine 1911. It might not be a bad idea to rent one from a local range. 45 ACP can be expensive, but I would think that Walmart has boxes of 50 round for $15

1. I do intend to have fun renting dozens of guns at Point Blank in Greenwood.
    2. They charge $10 and for the hour you are at the range you can exchange the gun you have first rented as many times as the hour permits.
    3. I went through all their .22s that they had in 1 hour (had about 10 different 22s), and actually ran out of them, unlike the dozens that they have of 9mm or 45acp.
    4. Some, like the Ruger snubbie hammerless 22 I thought was crap and took it back after only 1 cylinder shot.
    5. Others, like the Mark 4, I checked out twice.
    6. I intend to shoot every gun in the rental section. I will have 9mm day, 45acp day, even 380 day, and a 40 caliber day.
    7. The only reason I am getting ahead of myself in buying a 1911 in 45acp, is that it is the best deal I have seen in 2 weeks of looking and I can't pass up a value.
    8. I have scoured Armlist, Classifieds here, Hoosier Armory (new and used) and this Ruger sells for hundreds more used (I did find 1 that was $600, but don't remember if it was SS.
    9. I couldn't go to the range today b/c I had to spend the day running around looking for a Queen-size headboard and taking her to the gym (1st time since moving). We use our "SilverSneakers" from UHC Medicare supplement to get memberships free: sweet deal (no surprise, right!) :rockwoot:
    10. Perhaps I could go to the range tomorrow, but it's busy on the weekend, so it would be hard to switch guns every 5-10 minutes (getting waited on).
    I intend to go right after work when it wouldn't be busy so I can switch guns quickly.
    11. I could go call tomorrow and see if they even have the 1911 in different brands; maybe they will only have a couple, and not in the Ruger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Im not an expert but if you are just trying to dip your toes into the 1911 game then why not snag a new or used Rock Island Armory and you can upgrade it as you go.

Do not get the RIA. Please. The reasons are many.
    For that money give it a go. If it gives you any crap PM me.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally the lowest end I would go in a 1911 would be a Colt Competition Pistol or a Springfield Armory Range Officer. But they are about $800-$900, granted no one ever said a 1911 "done right" was going to be cheap either.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The SR1911 was my gateway drug to the 1911 scene. For the price, it's hard to beat. As mentioned, be aware that it might lead you to step up to the next level (and so on).

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Wish I could have found that deal when I bought mine, would have saved me over 200 bucks. Like others have said, you won't find a better 1911 for that price. Skeletonized trigger and hammer, nice wood, series 70, looks good and functions great.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thats fair and about right. buy it!! the 2 i had never failed me.

1. Fantantastic recommendation for a newbie afraid of making a mistake: thanks!

Do not get the RIA. Please. The reasons are many.
    For that money give it a go. If it gives you any crap PM me.

2. Thanks, Churchmouse, I've always enjoyed you taking the time for me as I "evolve" through what must be an entertaining journey that I'm going through.
    3. I am afraid of the "least expensive" variation of anything, despite my being a cheap-arse.
    4. I still want to find the "perfect" 1911-22, so I can
    get big-frame feel with cheap ammo of the 22LR. I wonder if I should have bought that SS Kimber 22LR for $500 that was available a few weeks back: beautiful gun, but I just didn't know whether it was "all that" and an "expert" in guns told me Kimber used to be "all that" but was overpriced and just produced mass-made guns like anyone else. The Browning 1911 still has my attention, but it is 85% size, and that bugs me.
    5. Back to the Rock Island, I feel from my reading that I'd always be sorry I didn't spend the extra to get the Ruger that seems to be underpriced compared to everything else I've seen and that is my profile for acquisition for something I might not keep, which very few guns a
    re in that category for me, and my mind might change as I learn more anyway.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom