• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm always on the lookout for buying another 22LR especially in revolver and since I bought my S/W M/P Compact 22 I didn't think I'd be buying another semi-auto 22LR b/c I really only wanted a great 1911 22LR to replace the Sig Sauer 1911-22 that I traded for my Judge.
    I have recently bought three 22s: H & R 22LR revolver ($200 with 525 rounds, S/W 351 Airwieght snubbie 22 magnum revolver ($450), and a Taurus 971 22 magnum ($350 with 150 rounds) in the past 2 weeks, and I wasn't looking for any other 22s right now.

But, I have always been curious about the Beretta Neos, and I found one here in the classifieds for a good price ($175) so I had to buy it: supposed to pick it up Tuesday.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Neos is a nice pistol. The one of two I have (purchased new) I put an inexpensive red dot on it and it proved to be very accurate. One of my daughter's favorite .22s. First time on the range with ours I made the mistake of bringing only one brick of ammo for it. CDNN had the mags on sale for $10 each so I bought a ton, loaded them before heading out, and before I knew it she was complaining she was out of ammo. Fully 500 rounds fired in that one session (she did let me run one mag through it) and it was 100% reliable and it's accuracy really surprised me.

Wound up buying a second one to use with the Carbine kit that Beretta made for a short while. One of the few bargains I got at the old management Gander because it was marked as having problems. In truth the Neos can build up a carbon ring hidden inside the slide in the front at the firing pin opening. Due to the shape of the firing pin a carbon ring can form and not be noticed as it is an area not usually heavily scrubbed. That turned out to be the case with this pistol, and after cleaning the inside of the slide properly it proved to be an excellent shooter as well.

One other thing, if you disassemble it for cleaning notice how the firing pin sits on the frame. What ever you do, do not pull the trigger with the slide removed, or that firing pin that just happens to look like a missile on a launch platform will become one!

Fun, accurate and reliable.

attachment.php

The pistol is the original style delux with an adjustable trigger. The later ones did not have that feature, and the markings on the early delux were also limited to that short run model.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Neos is a nice pistol. The one of two I have (purchased new) I put an inexpensive red dot on it and it proved to be very accurate. One of my daughter's favorite .22s. First time on the range with ours I made the mistake of bringing only one brick of ammo for it. CDNN had the mags on sale for $10 each so I bought a ton, loaded them before heading out, and before I knew it she was complaining she was out of ammo. Fully 500 rounds fired in that one session (she did let me run one mag through it) and it was 100% reliable and it's accuracy really surprised me.

Wound up buying a second one to use with the Carbine kit that Beretta made for a short while. One of the few bargains I got at the old management Gander because it was marked as having problems. In truth the Neos can build up a carbon ring hidden inside the slide in the front at the firing pin opening. Due to the shape of the firing pin a carbon ring can form and not be noticed as it is an area not usually heavily scrubbed. That turned out to be the case with this pistol, and after cleaning the inside of the slide properly it proved to be an excellent shooter as well.

One other thing, if you disassemble it for cleaning notice how the firing pin sits on the frame. What ever you do, do not pull the trigger with the slide removed, or that firing pin that just happens to look like a missile on a launch platform will become one!

Fun, accurate and reliable

attachment.php

The pistol is the original style delux with an adjustable trigger. The later ones did not have that feature, and the markings on the early delux were also limited to that short run model.

1. Appreciate the feedback.
    2. I don't have the expertise/vocabulary to know of the carbon issue and where and how to clean it properly. (I think I get it, but........)
    3. After I get the gun I'll pm you to give you my cell so we can talk if you don't mind, unless pming or emailing is better for you, and if it where I think it is, it would not be a long pm, but pics would be more my speed. :dunno:
    4. Again, thanks for the heads-up!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Not a problem. PM and phone works. The carbon issue only happens on pistols that are not cleaned too often, and many people don't believe in cleaning .22LRs. It will be obvious when you get it, but I will be more than happy to discuss it with you.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not a problem. PM and phone works. The carbon issue only happens on pistols that are not cleaned too often, and many people don't believe in cleaning .22LRs. It will be obvious when you get it, but I will be more than happy to discuss it with you.

1. Thanks! Appreciate it!
    2. I'm not a big fan of cleaning either, and after moving I'm not even sure which shelf in the garage the supplies are on. :dunno:
    3. I did buy some gun oil to put on the moving parts until I get around to a real cleaning: yes, I know, I deserve punishment. :(

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like my Neos.
    But, it's a little choosy on the ammo. I can't remember which it doesn't like, but I usually bring a few different types anyway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And I put a red dot on mine. I used a cheap red dot at first. It was my first red dot, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it. So why waste money.
    I liked it.
    So when the red dot started to fail, I bought a better one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have one also. Mine seems to enjoy copper plated rather than uncoated lead.

1. I thought they all did and uncoated lead was particularly dirty.
    2. I never buy anything but copper-plated.
    3. I have some uncoated (before I knew better) and I'll just run it through my revolvers, never a semi.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    3. I have some uncoated (before I knew better) and I'll just run it through my revolvers, never a semi.

My M&P .22 doesn't seem to mind them as much as the Neos.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    When my youngest was smaller, he loved the neos. Used to beat most of the adults at smaller pin shoots. Peculiar grip angle, but smaller hands seem to like them.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Coworker of mine got one new and it had to go back because it didn't work right out of the box. Drama with shipping aside (because it was 2/3 his fault), it's been good since, little that I've heard.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Mine has always run well on any ammo. I have found that with the extreme grip angle, I shoot it much better if I hold it more like a revolver than a typical auto.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I always liked those and, while I prefer the Buckmark line in general, have wanted one just because. I saw the one in the classifieds the OP bought and was tempted. I really kick my self for never getting one of the carbine kits. I remember seeing them at Whittakers on sale and passing.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR

Getting rid of the uncoated. One round at a time. The 10-22 eats it well and just smiles when it's done.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    You got a steal at $175. I bought mine a few years back at around $395 new. Kids liked it. Good start out gun for new shooters to get used to semi-auto and then still good plinking fun later. My only complaint is the sights are kind of crappy. Not as much adjustability as I would like. Rear sight tends to move a lot even with Loc-tite. Can be picky on ammo also but so does most .22 semi-autos. I never put a red dot on mine but seeing the other posts on here that might be a good idea.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You got a steal at $175. I bought mine a few years back at around $395 new. Kids liked it. Good start out gun for new shooters to get used to semi-auto and then still good plinking fun later. My only complaint is the sights are kind of crappy. Not as much adjustability as I would like. Rear sight tends to move a lot even with Loc-tite. Can be picky on ammo also but so does most .22 semi-autos. I never put a red dot on mine but seeing the other posts on here that might be a good idea.

This seems to be one of the few problems with the Neos, but to be honest I put the red dot on mine before even taking it out for it's first shots. Hate to say this but after all these years and thousands of rounds of plinking, I can't tell you if the rear sight is even still on my pistol! Makes me sick to even admit it!

Top Bottom