Thoughts on the Canik TP9SFX? Optic Ready!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Im thinking of selling all my cheaper pistols to buy this Canik 9MM. Heard a lot of great things about it. The guys at my local gunshop have tried to sell me this firearm almost every time i got into there shop. Just want an unbiased opinion on it.

Last edited:

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    Im thinking of selling all my cheaper pistols to buy this Canik 9MM. Heard a lot of great things about it. The guys at my local gunshop have tried to sell me this firearm almost every time i got into there shop. Just want an unbiased opinion on it.
    Do it.
    9f582a67b7d7660327be42daf55d7ba8.jpg
    da3294328fbbb173abd03d11ecfcc8c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have not shot one, but have read several reviews. A lot of people love it while a lot of people enjoy it. I have not really came across many bad reviews on Canik in general. For a decent price I think you would be very happy.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Depends on what you want it for I guess. Carry? Competition? Range toy? It it a great gun for the money for sure. i have had an ADE optic and now a Vortex Venom on mine (both fit on plate #1. The ADE needs modified just a bit for it to fit). To big for me to carry but that is not what I bought it for: Steel/Uspsa. It eats 115 and 124 grain RNCP with abandon and never a hiccup. Check the Canik Fanatic site for other info and mods that others have tried. I have a RDR holster for it that is custom made for it. I found out about the holster through a guy that goes by Frank the Tank.
    I would have a third, Elite model, too if the right deal came along. Have you shot one yet or another model such as the SA or V2? I am up in Bloomington and could help out with that if the timing is right. I had a member here do the same for me before I purchased my first Canik. What kind of price are you getting? Prepper Gun Shop, Grab a Gun, and even RK put them on sale if you catch them before they sell out. The only "bad thing" I could say would be more about me than the SFX, I tend to point it a little high coming out of the holster and finding the dot. More practice, more practice, more practice.... I would not have it as my only weapon considering it's size. Besides you can't just have one firearm can you?????

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    True that EyeCarry. I have not shot one of these caniks. However i will be going to a gun range in clarksville,in and hopefully renting 1 before i make my decision to purchase. I would use it as my range gun for sure. Its too big to be my edc.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Great gun for the money. I don't like the ergonomics; I'd like a flatter grip on all sides, and the trigger has too much takeup for my taste. It's too rounded on the back of the grip, and I could not get skateboard tape to adhere to the left side of the grip on mine. But it's a well-designed and executed gun and I can't think of something that offers so much for so less. Definitely worth checking out. I also like that you can load the mags to full spec capacity and they will lock into place under a closed slide, and strip the first round. The mag release is the best on any polymer gun I've seen.

But start looking for a good custom holster-smith, though. Outside of seeing if you can get a Walter holster to fit it, there are not many options. (Mec Gar full-capacity replacement mags are readily available at reasonable prices, though).

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have the sa not the sf. So take it for what its worth.
    Compared to a couple of my higher end handguns i do notice a difference mostly in the trigger. Other than that, i absolutely love it. Dollar for dollar i have to say it is pretty great. I plan on upgrading the trigger. I havent looked into triggers yet because of a new baby.
    I love the ergos on it. I have a size 12 hand. It fits my hand very well. I would like it to be a little girthier to get a better purchase on my support hand but have no problems managing the recoil regardless.
    I got the fde and it started wearing a little sooner than i like. (Second range trip) but it is all internal from normal wear. I initially bought it as a trunk gun where it was left (hidden and locked up) for about a year. It shoots any cheap steel ammo i can find as well as my go to ae and sig ammo. It cleans easily enough.
    I cant comment on true accuracy as it shoots according to if not better than my capabilities. (1.5-2" group @7 yards)

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    It really boils down to what you want it for. I think they are a great value for a range gun. The trigger is probably too light for a self defense gun and its too large to carry concealed. I like the ergos. I can't explain why because the grip is nothing unusual but it just feels good in my hand. The trigger take up is excessively long and you may or may not get used to it.
    I have 2 Canik striker fired guns (Elite and SFX) and a DA/SA (TriStar T-120) all have over 4000 rounds. All my Caniks have been very reliable, YMMV. The initial SFX production run used recoil springs that were too stiff and caused reliability issues with under powered ammo for the first 200 rounds. They have remedied that in current production.
    Try and find one to rent to make sure you like it before you sell all your guns on an unknown.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I have to wonder what you have that is cheaper than the Canik. They are pretty darn inexpensive.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Hodgestyle, I just remembered reading on the Canik Fanatik Forum that someone confirmed with Century Arms (the importer) that all new guns being sold have received the Severe Duty Upgrade. The SDU was Century's response to the idiots that dropped their pistol on concrete until they got it to fire. The SDU involves installing heavier firing pin block spring and trigger return spring. The upgrade causes a heavier trigger pull than the original design. It can be reversed but you have to buy and install new springs in a brand new gun.
    I have no personal experience with a Canik that has received the SDU treatment, this is only what I read. You really want to test fire the SFX before buying because the trigger pull on your gun may be different (5+ lbs instead of the 3.5-4 lbs advertised) than what reviews you have read.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have one and lost if for a while then found it again. :):

It was my sidearm for the Heartbreak 5k run down in Lexington last weekend. The gun and Trijicon RMR Dual did fantastic but I had a holster bolt failure mid-course. I looked down and the gun and holster were gone. Good thing it had snowed as I back tracked a good ~200 yards and found it laying in the snow. Out of 78 pistol targets I only had ~3 misses all day. It seemed to like the S&B 124 gr.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Don't think, just do! Picked one up a few weeks ago and love it. Just open sights but darn accurate. 20 rounds lasts forever, especially when shooting with others. Trigger is smooth and reset is really short and comes with a 2nd slightly larger backstrap. You won't be disappointed at all

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have the Elite, not the SFX but the trigger is similar between the two and is very nice. I bought my Elite for $375 shipped and the trigger blows away most guns in the $600 and $700 range. After picking this gun up I have to wonder why Glock can't put out a trigger that nice... :scratch:

Top Bottom