135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I like tip-up small barrel pistols.
    I have 5:
    two 22 LR:1 Taurus ($160) and 1 Beretta ($225),
    one 25 acp Beretta ($225 w/ammo) (bought off Townmarshall here),
    two 32 acp Berettas

But, I want stainless steel. they cost more, especially im the Beretta: not worth it to me: $400 usually the price (I'm willing to pay $300).
    I found a Taurus stainless PT22 that a guy's wife had, but she graduated up to something else.
    Advertised for $245 (too much for a Taurus :dunno:).
    Since there was a box and extra magazine with it and I was hurting from missing out :crying: on a Ruger SR Government model 1911 ($500), I was going to console myself by buying it and did so offering $200, and got it for $220: I was pleased

I met with the man today and the gun looked clean and it was a great profile (story line).
    I immediately went to the range along with a Beretta Neos I had bought 10 minutes earlier up in Carmel.
    I had a free range pass from buying a gun 2 weeks earlier on impulse (Ruger Airweight 22 magnum revolver snubbie: I told you I like anything 22 :laugh: ).

I loaded up the Taurus.
    I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. :ugh:
    The hammer was coming back but not far enough for it to release and fire the gun.
    I called the previous owner and told him and he said to make sure the slide was "seated" or completely down (sorry, don't know my correct gun terminology).
    I took the slide off twice and snapped it down: no change.
    I pulled the hammer back with my fingernail and released it and the gun went off, gouging two places in my thumb and it bled freely b/c of the slide snapping back and I still had my thumb in the way, duh! :ugh:

The previous owner told me he would meet up with me and send it back to Taurus,
    refunding my money and we could redo the transaction after the gun comes back.
    I told him he was right, Taurus did have a lifetime warranty,
    although it could take months to get a gun back.
    I told him refunding my money in the meantime was a righteous way to do it, and I appreciated his attitude.
    When I asked him when and where to meet up, he drove over to Tim's Shooting where I was at the range and we did the exchange and got my money back. :thumbsup:

Now that was an experience. I never cease to be amazed at the good honest people I run across in the context of guns.

Here is another caveat: when I gave him the money in an envelope originally paying for the gun, I had put too much in there, confusing the amount by an extra $175 (what I paid for the Neos) :wallbash:
    I should not be allowed to have children: oops, too late (don't worry, one is an accountant and the other a lawyer: they take after their mother, fortunately).

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Wow. I saw that gun on armslist for the past couple weeks. Glad you bought it from an honest guy considering he sold you a non working gun AND you accidentally threw in an extra 175. Just. Wow.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wow. I saw that gun on armslist for the past couple weeks. Glad you bought it from an honest guy considering he sold you a non working gun AND you accidentally threw in an extra 175. Just. Wow.

1. Believe me: I thanked him profusely!!!
    2. He hadn't shot the gun, he said, b/c it was his wife's, which begs the quesiton: what happened the last time the wife shot it?
    3. I told him I always take a gun to the range before I sell it to make sure there is nothing strange going on.
    4. I usually like to go straight to the range with a new purchase like yesterday.
    5. Last summer I bought a Comanche 2 revelover (22LR) in Plainfield (45 minutes away from me) and went to Tim's Shooting directly to find out the shells would NOT eject after firing.
    6. I called, drove from the shooting range back to Plainfield and he gave me my money back: Whew!
    7. Long afternoon.

8. Thanks for feeling my angst with me!

8. This guy could not have been more apologetic and accommodating. I was afraid he'd just tell me Taurus had a lifetime warranty and for me to sent it back to get fixed.
    9. I had contacted him a week ago quizzing him (like I always do) with 20 questions, but never received an answer. Perhaps I scared him away b/c he knew he had a discerning buyer, and didn't know it was me this time?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad to hear it turned out well, minus a little lost blood!

1. Indeed: I had to wrap it with a handkerchief so I could keep shooting. :laugh:
    2. You don't want to tell someone the gun is fine except for some blood on it you couldn't get off. :dunno:
    3. I have 1/4 inch slice and a 1/8 inch "hole" in my thumb for my efforts (on top below fingernail where you don't have any wonderful fat providing protection.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    It generally only takes one time of thumb skinning to learn to not put your thumb or other body parts behind the slide on an auto. Hope you never again do that, especially with a .45!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I loaded up the Taurus.
    I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. :ugh:

Isn't that how a Taurus works by definition?

Just kidding - mostly.

Glad you found one of the honest sellers.

The word you are looking for is fully in battery. Unintended discharges are dangerous (call me Mr. Obvious) - glad it was just the band aid variety.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It generally only takes one time of thumb skinning to learn to not put your thumb or other body parts behind the slide on an auto. Hope you never again do that, especially with a .45!

1. Normally, no: but since it wasn't working I got sloppy.
    2. That's how people shoot themselves cleaning an "empty" gun (had a friend to that decades ago, fortunately it was a 22LR not a deer hunting slug.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Have you had any formal training? Between your finger on the trigger when taking pictures and now this, it might be worth considering especially if you're going to dive into larger caliber guns.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    He hadn't shot the gun, he said, b/c it was his wife's, which begs the quesiton: what happened the last time the wife shot it?

You would probably be surprised at the number of people who buy a gun, take it home, load it and stick in in a drawer without firing it.
    I sure as heck wouldn't. But people do.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Seriously? What is the friggin' point?" ...

A gun is a magic talisman that wards off evil. Just having it, knowing it's there, makes some people "feel safer." Doesn't matter if it works (or not). Doesn't matter if it's quickly accessible (or not). Doesn't matter if they have the mindset/skill to use it (or not).

Top Bottom