• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thomas13906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Greenfield
    Hello. My wife carries a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. She is a very small framed person and weighs about 100 lbs. She can shoot it fine but she doesn't really like to shoot it like she does all of our 22lr guns. The recoil isn't terrible but for a tiny person it sorta kills the fun though. I would like to put a ported barrel in it like the performance center models but I am curious if I need to port the slide as well to give the gasses an outlet from the slide for before the slide moves back. I have no problem getting the slide ported but I am wondering if I would need to do it before I get a ported barrel. Thank you in advance for the input.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hello. My wife carries a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. She is a very small framed person and weighs about 100 lbs. She can shoot it fine but she doesn't really like to shoot it like she does all of our 22lr guns. The recoil isn't terrible but for a tiny person it sorta kills the fun though. I would like to put a ported barrel in it like the performance center models but I am curious if I need to port the slide as well to give the gasses an outlet from the slide for before the slide moves back. I have no problem getting the slide ported but I am wondering if I would need to do it before I get a ported barrel. Thank you in advance for the input.

Yes. They need a path outside the slide. Find a competent smith willing to work on this model.

Edit......porting will not do much if anything to control recoil. If a 9mm is packing too much poop for the little lady she might need something like a CZ with a really small slide. Very little secondary (slide contact) recoil in mine.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    For the time and trouble, you might as well pick up the Performance Center Ported Shield. Keep the old one or sell it to recoup some funds. Shields aren't all that pricey for a handgun.

But if you want to throw money at it - I will also vote for Mag-na-port. They are top notch and have been doing this for a long time.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I currently have a PC Shield with the ported barrel. Personally, I find no difference in recoil versus a non-ported barrel. Maybe a little less muzzle flip but very minimal.

That is just my experience - yours may vary. I would suggest firing a ported Shield before making a change. I would also suggest just buying a PC Shield instead of modifying. The PC trigger is better and I prefer the Hi-Viz sights. I'm near Fort Wayne which isn't exactly near Greenfield but if you are ever up my way...bring as much ammo as you want to fire in my Shield. :-)

Depending upon how she carries the firearms, I might suggest something with a less felt recoil like a Smith Wesson 3913 Ladysmith (she may or may not like the TDA trigger). Also firearms like the SW Bodyguard with its awful trigger or a Ruger LCP II though even a 380 can be pretty snappy in a 12 ounce gun.

The new Smith & Wesson M&P 380 EZ might be designed just for her with a MSRP of $399.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    This is a great example of how the new Shield EZ has a market, I think the Shield EZ would be great for your wife because porting the Shield she has would be a lot more than buying and other gun. Take a look at the Shield on this video, it has a threaded barrel and comp that may be an option for you.[video=youtube_share;I5PlJOv_hVE]https://youtu.be/I5PlJOv_hVE[/video]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes. They need a path outside the slide. Find a competent smith willing to work on this model.

Edit......porting will not do much if anything to control recoil. If a 9mm is packing too much poop for the little lady she might need something like a CZ with a really small slide. Very little secondary (slide contact) recoil in mine.

Or learn how to grip and shoot it properly.
    As far as the other comments about a .380, i don't think that caliber is an effectfive self defense tool. Sure better than nothing but with proper training anyone can shoot a 9mm shield or like a glock 43. My daughter could shoot a shield when she was 9.
    Also ported barrel on a self defense gun, not a good idea.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As far as the other comments about a .380, i don't think that caliber is an effectfive self defense tool. Sure better than nothing but with proper training anyone can shoot a 9mm shield or like a glock 43. My daughter could shoot a shield when she was 9.
    Also ported barrel on a self defense gun, not a good idea.

Ageeed. But last time I mentioned operator error on some ones spouse the PMs were not pleasant.
    This is more likly the case though.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Having a timid 100lb wife myself, I can relate.

Another thing to point out is that recoil is highly subjective and often as much psychological from the noise as the physical action. For the amount of physical recoil that the porting may (or may not) mitigate, you may have an increased noise to compensate.

The other thing I've found to help (if you have any and if she's willing) is bring a few guns of varying sizes. 22, 380, 9, 45. When she starts getting confident (or doing poorly) with one, switch calibers. The bigger boom makes the others smaller and if she starts flinching with the big one, the smaller ones make it show so she can fix it. Of course 90% of the problem for her is not enough range time, refuses any training without me, and won't entertain the idea of trusting a 'sitter so yea:ugh:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The other thing I've found to help (if you have any and if she's willing) is bring a few guns of varying sizes. 22, 380, 9, 45. When she starts getting confident (or doing poorly) with one, switch calibers. The bigger boom makes the others smaller and if she starts flinching with the big one, the smaller ones make it show so she can fix it. Of course 90% of the problem for her is not enough range time, refuses any training without me, and won't entertain the idea of trusting a 'sitter so yea:ugh:

To add to this - something I see often is that people of small stature is that they are given small guns. Most recently a friend who (instead of shooting through my stuff first) bought his wife a Kimber Micro 9 that 1) only likes premium ammo and 2) is really a snappy little thing. She hates shooting it.

While you may end of buying a small frame or plastic firearm; recoil management is more easily learned with heavier guns and then increasing calibers. Once a comfort level is reached, they can work down in frame size. I think this is why SW went with a little larger frame in the 380 EZ. We can talk about 380 all day; but I think this is going to be a very popular gun for small stature or physically limited people. Maybe some will step up in caliber.

My wife doesn't like to shoot J-frame revolvers but is a hit at the range with a full size 44 mag revolver that weigh as much as she does (arthritic hands and carpal tunnel inclued). She says she likes to have something big enough to hold onto. (insert age appropriate joke here).

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

yea, most likely this is the case. spend the $ on training. the porting will make very minimal difference if the technique isn't there. I've seen youth no bigger than 100 pounds run guns just fine in competition... with the correct techniques.

I also don't like the idea of ports on a carry gun.

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom