• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Can someone please tell me why used glocks go for what they do? Don't give me that "they're a awesome gun, they're the ak of the pistol world crap either." I own glocks, I own 1911s I love them both. I'm not a glock hater just the used prices are ridiculous.

Bottom line is you have a plastic injection mold frame, a "square" slide that takes nothing to machine, minimal parts oh and by the way they're not a collectors gun THERE IS MILLIONS out there... Its not like they're in short supply. They shouldn't cost more than $250 new out the door to begin with for what it takes to manufacture them.

So please explain to me why you think your used glock should cost only $50 less than what I can buy them for new..... Can we all please come down off our high horses on these used guns? Please!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Don't buy them then. As long as people can get the money they are asking for them, then they will keep asking it.
    I have bought several of them. I don't even think a couple of them have ever been fired. They are worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for them.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Generally unless they are severely abused or they are fitted with a bunch of aftermarket stuff, they tend to run just as new. Why do certain types of vehicles hold their value (Trucks, Jeeps, etc). Same type of thing I suspect. They are a commodity, but that also makes the used ones not far off of new. And agreed with Expat, supply & demand have kind of settled on those prices.

I have seen a drop in the prices of .40 Glocks on the used market as the market has kind of settled on .40 being less desirable these days. I'm guessing largely due to the large supply of used Glocks available in this caliber currently.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Brand tax. People are apparently willing to pay $500+ for tupperware that clearly costs $50 to make.

Helps that they do, generally, work.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    WebSniper kind of hit a big part of the reason in his response. There are some things that you buy because of the aesthetic or for what they represent and there are others that you buy for the utility. For the latter, you are not so much buying the object, but are buying the utility that the object gives you. Pickup trucks are a good example. For a lot of people, a truck is just another tool and a used truck has a lot of utility left in it, so the prices don't drop too badly. Now, take a Jaguar and there really is not any more utility in a Jag than there is in an Impala. But, the Jag has a better aesthetic than the Impala when new. The value of the Jag is not tied to its utility, but it's desirability over the years.

Glocks have never chased the aesthetic buyers and have always provided a fairly standard bit of utility. They are generally ugly but functional when new as they also are when used. How much more utility is in a new Glock as compared to a used Glock? The market says about $50 apparently. A new Glock guarantees that your gun has not been bubba'd or otherwise abused, but that's not a huge problem anyway.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thread will not go as OP expected

Oh I know the OP....I got him to join INGO....It's going exactly as he expected...And no he is not racing to 50 posts...He and I have had this conversation numerous times and it's something I wonder as well...

Like expat said, it's supply and demand...

I sell used Glocks in here for $400ish....Just sold a mint 17 for $399.99 with no box...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Oh I know the OP....I got him to join INGO....It's going exactly as he expected...And no he is not racing to 50 posts...He and I have had this conversation numerous times and it's something I wonder as well...

Like expat said, it's supply and demand...

I sell used Glocks in here for $400ish....Just sold a mint 17 for $399.99 with no box...
    I see that a lot in my local shops as well. They sell used guns that I know would sell for more in the private market. I don't know if people are willing to pay a premium to not have paper on a gun?
    I would buy a new one most of the time versus buying used because of the small price difference. Or a used one at a shop but they don't usually last long.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So many better things to ponder... like why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore, and why can't I buy factory 38/357 and other fun calibers at 9mm prices?? It's not right, it's shameful!

Don't forget that some people around here can't appreciate the difference between a Shield and a Dan Wesson...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    It is purely market dynamics.

I do see them used in my local gun store much cheaper than asking prices here and on that other popular classified gun sale site. I would venture to guess that the spread from new price to the actual used selling price has a similar variance as many other manufacturers.

The real question is why would anybody buy a Glock?? Just kidding…

I’ll just wait till Indiucky has a GEN 5 glock for 399 and then make a road trip to the southern border.!

Top Bottom