• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A little bit of radioactive material around that area won't hurt anything...

I'd say yes, but then I don't really carry anything that small, but as Frank said, I'd think the thought process on that decision would be the same as any gun you would carry.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My pocket gun is more for point shooting.... Hell, it barely has sights! (LCP)

I've always viewed it more of a close quarter pistol.... doubt it would ever be "aimed over distance".

Of course, YMMV.

Good luck!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm less of a believer in their necessity than I used to be. I don't see what they can hurt, just try to find something you can find the front sight for quickly and in a variety of lighting situations.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Instead of night sights you might just as well consider a crimson trace laser. I am not a big laser guy but I think they have utility on a pocket gun.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Lets see Mr. Obvious, do you carry at night?
    Might you be attacked and or threatened at night?
    Would you someday like to shoot the moon?

If you can say YES to any of the above questions and can afford them, hey (IMHO) why not?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In a close quarter environment whre you must quick deploy your pistol and shoot for self defense you won't even see your sights even if you are well trained. Point and shoot will win the day. More times than not.
    Now if you plan on clearing rooms methodically with this pistol, besides all the training issues, then yeah night sights might benefit you if you are relying soley on that

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    When I think of pocket carry pistols none come to mind that have replaceable sights to make night sights an option. Most likely my knowledge is too limited or my pockets are too small.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In a close quarter environment whre you must quick deploy your pistol and shoot for self defense you won't even see your sights even if you are well trained.

I disagree. Train to use your sights, you'll use your sights. I can, and have, and am I'm not special or unique.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I think of pocket carry pistols none come to mind that have replaceable sights to make night sights an option. Most likely my knowledge is too limited or my pockets are too small.

The Sig P238 and P938 both come with a good set of night sights that are dovetailed. They are expensive little guns, but do serve their purpose very well. With all of that said, I don't put a lot of importance on night sights for my pocket pistols. There's a very real chance that if I have to use the gun in an SD role, I will fall back to point shooting, so that's what I practice. For a pocket pistol, I'd recommend getting a Laserlyte training cartridge if you are going with 9mm and practice, practice, practice point shooting. Get to the point where you can draw and hit any spot within 20 feet that you can see. Practice with the laser cartridge on light switches across the room, photos and anything the size of a softball or smaller. After a while, you will build muscle memory on how that gun points for you and if you do need to use it for real, you'll be much more likely to hit what you are aiming at.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I disagree. Train to use your sights, you'll use your sights. I can, and have, and am I'm not special or unique.

That's not what I meant. I deffinately train to use my sights as should everyone. However I do think too much emphasis is put on sights instead of the attacker for self defense shooting. Same with rifle shooting with a red dot. People are looking at the dot instead of the target and not putting the dot over the target.
    I think waiting for a perfect sight picture in a lot of cases when the gun is already covering the target is a waste of valuable time. I'm not saying be sloppy or rushed. People should be practicing constantly, but know that as soon as that gun is presented out of the holster and pointing towards the bad guy it's ok to start shooting if you have to. I just hate seeing people get locked into things like robots.
    To each their own. Even national trainers don't all agree on this issue

Last edited:

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I like the Ameriglo I-Dots with the bright orange ring around the tritium insert. Bright enough for day, and at night I like the "dot the I" sight picture. I currently have three dot night sights and find it hard to focus on the front sight when there's 2 other dots i have to look at. So maybe try blacked out rears or I -Dot type sights. And always have a flashlight on you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's not what I meant. I deffinately train to use my sights as should everyone. However I do think too much emphasis is put on sights instead of the attacker for self defense shooting. Same with rifle shooting with a red dot. People are looking at the dot instead of the target and not putting the dot over the target.
    I think waiting for a perfect sight picture in a lot of cases when the gun is already covering the target is a waste of valuable time. I'm not saying be sloppy or rushed. People should be practicing constantly, but know that as soon as that gun is presented out of the holster and pointing towards the bad guy it's ok to start shooting if you have to. I just hate seeing people get locked into things like robots.
    To each their own. Even national trainers don't all agree on this issue

It's all summed up by "see as much as you need to see". Depending on the challenge of the shot, you could be shooting from retention using pure body indexing or you could need a hard front sight focus and very deliberate trigger press. Part of training is knowing how good a sight picture is good enough at various distances, and is one arena where competition is quite valuable since you get to engage targets at multiple distances under time pressure.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Im putting tfx pros on my g43 but i mainly just like the sight picture from those, the tritium is secondary for me.

I've got Trijicon HD's on my 43 (though to be honest I don't really count the 43 as a pocket carry in my case).

OP, what gun are you thinking of for pocket carry, just curious.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm less of a believer in their necessity than I used to be. ...

Same here.

For private citizen defensive carry, there has to be enough light for a perp to assault/rob you. If there's enough light for that, there's enough light to see a high visibility sight. Just because a crime occurs during the hours of darkness doesn't mean it's dark. Most urban places you go at night are fairly well lit.

Data-wise, I don't think any of Tom Givens' students who have been involved in incidents would have benefited from night sights. (Correct me if I'm wrong. Going from memory here.)

BBI, is lighting a factor you've tracked in your data?

For planned night operations, different context entirely. :twocents:

Top Bottom