• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, I'm looking for a single stack 9mm or similarly sized handgun for super double secret cc (SDSCC in the title :D). I currently carry a Ruger 9E in a leather pancake holster. It conceals fine. Just going about my daily business, no one seems to notice. But there are times when I'm around certain people that I'd like something a little more concealable. Some family members aren't as comfortable about my carrying as I am. While that's fine, I'd just rather not have to take it off when I'm around them. I figure if I get something smaller that I'm still comfortable shooting, then I'd be able to carry without them knowing and dodge a headache. I'm leaning toward a Shield. I've rented one a couple times. It feels good in my hand and the trigger, IMO, isn't as bad as some go on about it, but, then again, my reference is somewhat limited. I probably have never felt a super smooth trigger pull (aside from a 1911 I rented once, but I digress...). I shot an LC9s. It's just too small. It didn't fit comfortably in my hand. I held and dry fired a Walther CCP. Man, it feels like it was made for my hand. The trigger pull is a bit long, but pretty smooth. I'd like to find one to rent. The biggest hang up I have about the CCP is having to use the tool to take it down for cleaning. I'm just not sure how likely I'd be to say "I'll clean it next time" because it seems like a PITA to do, or worse not shoot to not have to clean it. I'd like to get my mitts on a P365, but I have yet to find any of the shops I've been to that had one in stock. Are there any others I should check out? Any pros/cons to the few I've looked at? BTW, a Glock 43 is out. I've shot several Glocks and held the 43. None of them felt good in my hand and I shot all of them like crap. :):

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So, I'm looking for a single stack 9mm or similarly sized handgun for super double secret cc (SDSCC in the title :D). I currently carry a Ruger 9E in a leather pancake holster. It conceals fine. Just going about my daily business, no one seems to notice. But there are times when I'm around certain people that I'd like something a little more concealable. Some family members aren't as comfortable about my carrying as I am. While that's fine, I'd just rather not have to take it off when I'm around them. I figure if I get something smaller that I'm still comfortable shooting, then I'd be able to carry without them knowing and dodge a headache. I'm leaning toward a Shield. I've rented one a couple times. It feels good in my hand and the trigger, IMO, isn't as bad as some go on about it, but, then again, my reference is somewhat limited. I probably have never felt a super smooth trigger pull (aside from a 1911 I rented once, but I digress...). I shot an LC9s. It's just too small. It didn't fit comfortably in my hand. I held and dry fired a Walther CCP. Man, it feels like it was made for my hand. The trigger pull is a bit long, but pretty smooth. I'd like to find one to rent. The biggest hang up I have about the CCP is having to use the tool to take it down for cleaning. I'm just not sure how likely I'd be to say "I'll clean it next time" because it seems like a PITA to do, or worse not shoot to not have to clean it. I'd like to get my mitts on a P365, but I have yet to find any of the shops I've been to that had one in stock. Are there any others I should check out? Any pros/cons to the few I've looked at? BTW, a Glock 43 is out. I've shot several Glocks and held the 43. None of them felt good in my hand and I shot all of them like crap. :):

1. I too, need deep concealment.
    2. I use a pocket holster:

DeSanti Super Fly's(R) new exclusive sticky rubberized fabric is even more viscous than the Nemesis(R). We have also added a removable, reversible outer flap to even further disguise the firearm.
    This pocket holster will absolutely not move out of position in your pocket.
    The inside is made of slick pack cloth for a low friction draw and is reinforced with added polymer in the right places.
    I got a pocket holster big enough to fill my pocket and cover up even the handle of the gun in my pocket, and the "flap" they refer to helps accomplish that.
    I am using a J frame Smith .38 snubbie hammerless 5 shot. (not tried my Shield 9mm b/c I prefer to carry a revolver).
    I am wearing dress slacks and not tight jeans, also.
    I also really like using my ankle holster with my 38 revolver, and have also used it with a Smith .380 and a Beretta .32 caliber, and even a Smith 7 shot 22 magnum revolver that I love.
    41piOQbnRVL._AC_UL320_SR320,320_.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you like the CCP take a look at the Walther PPS M2. Very similar ergonomics, a touch smaller, MUCH better built. The CCP had a recall on it a while back, in addition it wasn't very well built to start with. The CCP isn't a true Walther whereas the PPS M2 is. Mags are more expensive than the Shield and harder to find, same thing with holsters, much less selection.

I have the PPS M2 and my parents, in their 70's, have the CCP. They chose it because of the ease of slide manipulation. Neither one of them carry it anymore. We all hate the disassembly on it. The PPS has some nice features that other guns don't have. The striker actually extends out the rear slide plate a little when it's being fired. You can put your thumb on the plate when you reholster and if something catches the trigger you can feel it and stop. It disassembles like a Glock. The take down tabs are flared so they are easier to catch than the Glock. The Striker spring cups are already notched to let debris through like the maritime cups on the Glock. If you're interested in checking it out let me know. I'm not far away (Randolph county) and always looking for an excuse to get to Muncie and bring back some Chick-fil-a. If you have a place to shoot that's cool, if not then I'm a member of Old Trails in Richmond and you can try it out there if you like. Also have a Kahr P9 you can check out as well. Not as popular a choice but it's another option.

Here's a write up on the PPS I did a while back.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/423203-walther-pps-vedder-holster-ammo-review.html

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you are worried about someone seeing your gun find something better to worry about. It's just not worth it. People today walk around in a trance staring at their stupid cell phones. Almost no one but a cop will ever notice your gun. And even if they see a bulge they won't have the slightest idea what it is. You can either try to hide your gun by using a tiny gun and jamming it in a pocket (not my choice) or dress around a full size one with good leather. Wear clothes with room in them. Since I retired and have no obligations I dress like Neil Young. Neil could hide TWO Desert Eagles under that flannel shirt and still play guitar and blow a harmonica. (and the older chicks dig the look too) :twocents:

Last edited:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    doddg - Desantis is one of the most trusted names in holsters, and I think that one would be a quality piece, as are their others. I'm not really thinking pocket carry, though. I know it would definitely fix my problem. Heck, I can slip my Ruger into the back pocket of my jeans. I prefer carrying around the waist. My front pockets are already taken up (cell phone, knife, pen in one; cigarettes, lighter, car keys in the other). So, my back pockets are the only option for pocket carry, and I really don't want to sit on gun all day. :):

AngryRooster - That looks like something I need to check out. Fantastic review, BTW. I think there are a couple ranges near me that might have that one for rent, too, which is a plus.

Drail - As far as pocket carry, see my reply to doddg. I can't simply choose to not be around these people. They are family members. I'll need to be around them from time to time, if I want to see my nieces and nephews grow up. While I agree that most people do not notice, as I stated in the OP, I know that coming into closer contact with people increases the chance that they'll notice (we're a hugging family :D).

BigTanker - That's also not one that I've looked at, yet. I take it the 4" is about G19 sized? I have seen the 3.3" before, but I didn't even know they had a 4" single stack.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg - Desantis is one of the most trusted names in holsters, and I think that one would be a quality piece, as are their others. I'm not really thinking pocket carry, though. I know it would definitely fix my problem. Heck, I can slip my Ruger into the back pocket of my jeans. I prefer carrying around the waist. My front pockets are already taken up (cell phone, knife, pen in one; cigarettes, lighter, car keys in the other). So, my back pockets are the only option for pocket carry, and I really don't want to sit on gun all day. :):

1. I have never gotten the "carry in the back pocket" routine but to each his own.
    2. I bought a small Beretta .32 tip-up barrel from a guy who said he carried it in his back pocket for 20 yrs.: I really don't get it.
    3. I do understand about the front pockets: I don't have room and need both pockets for my crap, which is probably why I gravitate toward my ankle holster.
    4. When I was doing my search for the perfect front pocket pistol, I found that the thickness of the handle was the limiting factor for getting it out of the pocket judiciously, not the length or height of the pistol since many are fine in that regard (but I love my Shield 9 and the Shield 380 is so perfect for pocket carry: really not called a Shield, the Bodyguard).

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Have you considered a Beretta Nano? I bought one, put a Galloway spring kit on it, and carry it everywhere I go. I was hesitant at first because I have big hands but this thing is a joy to shoot, conceals well, and has never had any issues going on over 1000 rounds.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Shield, PPS, LCP II/LC9, are all good thin options.
    If i wanted small and light, i would also strongly consider a small revolver, like the LCR or a j-frame smith.
    Those small revolvers disappear quite easily

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Yeah, doddg, I don't understand the pant pocket carry at all, either. I can see, if you're out walking the dog or something, to carry in a jacket pocket, but not the back pocket of jeans or slacks.

I had not considered the Nano, Itchy. I went to Point Blank yesterday and handled the PPS, but they didn't have a Nano. The salesman said that there were problems with them. It doesn't seem like you've had problems, but have you even heard of issues?

Tony - I have a .38 snubbie. It was my first gun, and it has now been relegated to my vehicle gun. It does conceal very well, but I'd like to go with something even thinner. The cylinder makes the middle a bit fat.

Hopefully, next weekend I can go back to Point Blank and try some out. They were just too busy when I was there. So far, my list includes:
    PPS
    XDs
    XD-E - I have a thing for hammer fired guns and want to try a polymer-framed one.
    Maybe the Shield again.
    Possibly a G43, for :poop: and giggles.

Any others that any of you know Point Blank has for rent that I should try?

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I had not considered the Nano, Itchy. I went to Point Blank yesterday and handled the PPS, but they didn't have a Nano. The salesman said that there were problems with them. It doesn't seem like you've had problems, but have you even heard of issues?

I've read people who said they had multiple fte but I haven't had one. Maybe it's because I changed the spring before I ever fired a round or maybe I got lucky. I know that's it's one of very few guns I own (including Glock and Sig) that I have complete faith in on every trigger pull.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Oooh, I hadn't thought about the 938, hp. Thanks! I'm not sure if they had a 365. I didn't see that they had one for sale let alone for rent, but it is one that I want to get my hands on.

I'm glad you haven't had any problems, itchy. He didn't go into detail, but he stated that there was a recall. He was also under the impression that they didn't make a 9mm version, only .380. So, maybe it was only the .38 version.

Top Bottom