• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I am considering a snubbie in 357 magnum for CC / BUG purposes.

I am leaning towards one of these.... Does anybody have experience with them?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have experience with both. It's a toss-up, but I would lean toward the LCR. I find it easier to shoot than any of my J-frames, including my 640.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have some experience with the 640. I more or less turned it into a "Pro Series" gun with an XS Big Dot on the front, and an Apex Spring Kit to smooth our the horrible (HORRIBLE) double action factory trigger.

The extra work I did on the 640 took it from being a mediocre gun to a darned good gun. But I'm with Snap on this one, give the Ruger a try. I don't have any firsthand experience with the LCR, but have heard good things about it. It pains me to say this because I'm definitely a S&W wheelgun fan, but not so much with their J-Frames... FWIW, I no longer own the 640. But boy did it carry nicely.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    LCR for me. Lighter for ankle/pocket carry, the grips absorb recoil and fit my hand, and I prefer the cammed LCR trigger over the j-frame offering. The front sight is also very easy to swap out for a high visibility/night sight if you like. The 640 Pro has better sights out of the box, though.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally I like the Smith and Wesson offerings, though if I were to buy a 640 is would be the Pro Performance Center model as most stock S&W guns have aweful triggers right now. When I bought my 360PD it had at least an 18# DA as the trigger weight measurer could not register the pull weight it was so high.

Personally don't carry Magnums in it, follow up shots are a total disaster with the Magnums in these little guns. That and they kick the crap out if your hand i carry the new Federal HST 38spl +P myself only breaking out the Magnums for range work and general fun of the massive fireball.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Agreed on the +P instead of the magnums. For carry, I load with Speer Gold Dot .38+P 135 gr Short Barrel if I can find it-- Remington Ultimate Defense if I can't. (I use it periodically for target practice, so have to keep rotating).

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    LCR is a great carry revolver. I throw it in my jacket pocket all the time and forget it's their. Easy to change out the front sight to fiber optic or night sight. It's a all arpund great gun. Mine is a 38sp+p model.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My first snubbie was a late 70s model Colt Detective Special in .38 spl with an amazing DA/SA trigger that must have spoiled me. After it was stolen I tried to find a replacement j-frame sized BUG but I haven't been able to find one with a trigger I liked.

I hated the double reset feeling of the LCR trigger and just couldn't bring myself to train enough to get used to it. I'm sure it would have been no issue in a defensive situation, but it just wasn't all that fun to shoot at the range.

My S&W Bodyguard had a slightly better trigger, but does not do as well with recoil as the LCR.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI and Snapdragon.....Why do you hurt me so???

:)

I know, you want to recommend something else:

10543765.jpg

It's ok, go ahead, we won't judge.

*silently waits for opportunity to judge*

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Regarding the LCR 357, I have found that most people tend to gravitate toward using 38+p or mid-velocity 357 mag loads, such as the Golden Saber 125's. I have experienced "crimp jump" numerous times with the 357 Golden Sabers, which is regrettable because recoil is mild with this load and they come 25 in a box. I have not experienced this issue with full-house 357's or with 38 rounds. Frankly, I don't notice a big difference in recoil between the mid-velocity 357 loads and the Gold Dot 38+p 135 grain rounds. The 357 is worse, of course, but not dramatically so. The big jump comes when you go from mid-range 357's to full power magnums. It is brutal. Lately, I have been shooting the Winchester 125 grain PDX1 357's and have found them to be similar in recoil to the Golden Sabers, but with no crimp jump issues. The test results with them on lucky gunner seemed good also.

Top Bottom