• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    A few weeks ago I was working on a deal to trade a Sig Tacops 1911 for a Colt Combat Commander. The deal fell through but I sold the Sig to a co-worker and started looking for a Colt to replace it. I never did find a Commander that "spoke" to me, but I stumbled across a good deal on this series 80 Colt Competition 9mm. I already had a blued one in 45, but I never knew I NEEDED a 9mm version until this one called out to me:wavey:.

I got it home, cleaned and lubed it (oh and dumped the blue G10 for nice double diamond grips) and headed out back to see if I could hit anything with it. I've never owned or fired a 1911 in 9mm before, so I was anxious to give a run.

2uhs5sw.jpg

I love the fit, finish, trigger and rapid recovery of shooting 9mm out of a heavy 1911. I do have a few minor functioning issues to take care of, but overall I love the gun....especially for the price.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Minor functioning issues? Do you believe that it pertains to the magazines or what? Did it come with Colt mags or what brand? Keep us posted, I haven't had a 1911 in 9mm in years and thought of getting another one.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Minor functioning issues? Do you believe that it pertains to the magazines or what? Did it come with Colt mags or what brand? Keep us posted, I haven't had a 1911 in 9mm in years and thought of getting another one.

The brass ejection is erratic and seems to be just barley clearing the slide as it closes. I also had a couple of failures to lock the slide on the last round. I was shooting S&B, Federal Champion and my own reloads. All 115 gr and used only the factory Colt magazines.

The S&B dropped most of the brass about 2-3 ft away in the 5 o-clock position. These were the hottest loads of the day.

The reloads dropped most of the brass on my arms or chest with 1 empty dropping back down in the chamber on top of the next round, holding the slide open. I also experienced a few failures to lock the slide back. These are real mild reloads because my wife likes to shoot them in her CCP.

The Federals were also erratic in ejection and they flew all different directions , but mostly on top of my hat. They are pretty mush in the middle of the other two loads in terms of power.

The whole time I was shooting this morning, it was snowing pretty hard, so I couldn't see exactly how the rounds were feeding up the breach face (water spots all over my glasses). When I came in and cleaned it up, the extractor tension seems to be adjusted pretty close. I am guessing that the dual recoil springs are a little too heavy for the 115 grain loads. I ordered a WC 10 lb recoil spring and a new GI style guide rod.

This is the first Colt 1911 that I have ever owned that didn't run lights out right out of the box. My Competition .45 is a tack driver and eats anything I can fit into the chamber. But, I had no feeding or chambering issues and I think I can get it running like a top without to much hassle. I wasn't shooting for accuracy today, but I wasn't doing too bad at 10 yrds with all of the other distractions.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Very nice!!! As I'm thinking about what I want next, I keep coming back to Colt. The history and legacy is just fascinating to me, even if new Colts aren't quite the same as the "good old days", they're still pretty great. Glad you're enjoying it!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Colt is or WAS making this in a 70's series. Colt has a tendency to make small runs of these SPECIAL firearms. I bought the Colt competition (70 series) in real 1911 caliber :yesway: and its a fine shooter.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am so reading this with interest as I got interested just last Sat. in a Ruger SR Gov't 1911 45acp, but I was thinking I should get a 1911 in a 9mm but was told that was :nono:
    Since then I have shot the Ruger and a Dan Wesson (owned by gmcuttr) at Point Blank in Greenwood.
    I have seen the Colt for under $1000 and wondered how it pared against the $1000 Dan Wesson for sale, and how the Ruger SR1911 fit into the pic.
    Being as how you owned the 1911 45 and are trying out the 9mm: keep telling stories, I'm all ears. :thumbsup:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    This also interests me. I do not think i could give up my 45, however every time im somewhere looking at ammo and see the price difference i always think, hmmm. I do like shooting my 45, but as i also have a sig 1911 22 that my family members really enjoy shooting and the 45s recoil always seems to surpise them, i may need an inbetweener, heh.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This also interests me. I do not think i could give up my 45, however every time im somewhere looking at ammo and see the price difference i always think, hmmm. I do like shooting my 45, but as i also have a sig 1911 22 that my family members really enjoy shooting and the 45s recoil always seems to surprise them, i may need an inbetweener, heh.

1. I get my 45 ammo for under 30 cents ea. from individuals (buying some today or Monday in fact).
    2. I had a Sig 1911-22 that I enjoyed for awhile, but after getting 4 other 22LR guns I traded it straight up for a Judge (with ammo: 410 and 45LC).
    3. I tried not to buy a 45 b/c of ammo costs buy ran across a Shield for $320 with 2 boxes of ammo, so I caved.
    I love it and it is as accurate as anything else I have.
    I might keep it for CC instead of my Shild 9mm: just can't decide yet.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    For what it’s worth; the only ammo I seem to have issues with is Federal Champion. I think I still have 1000 round of it but prefer American Eagle and WWB for just plinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I am so reading this with interest as I got interested just last Sat. in a Ruger SR Gov't 1911 45acp, but I was thinking I should get a 1911 in a 9mm but was told that was :nono:

Being as how you owned the 1911 45 and are trying out the 9mm: keep telling stories, I'm all ears. :thumbsup:

I have a SW 1911 in 9mm. It is an absolute joy to shoot. CM would cringe but I like it.

b957fb3358e5017a8b81c3cb23cd3b64.jpg

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I generally keep several boxes of S&B around as a sort of benchmark ammo for any new 9 mm's that follow me home. I also keep a couple boxes of cheap FC or WWB around to use as test ammo whenever I am working on something. For the most part I only shoot my own reloads for range ammo.

My other 1911's are .45's and I only shoot them now as range guns. I picked up this Colt to use strictly as a range gun because I love the 1911 platform and I wanted a 9 MM to tinker with. My other 9's are all dialed in as EDC or HD weapons and I don't want to experiment with them.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Not sure about now nut federal champion used to be the weakest most erratic ammo available. I wouldn't hate one like yours, maybe down the road. Buy some hotter ammo and benchmark.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    For what it’s worth; the only ammo I seem to have issues with is Federal Champion. I think I still have 1000 round of it but prefer American Eagle and WWB for just plinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had any real trouble out of Federal or WWB, I quit buying both of them and now buy Remington green box. Not the UMC Yellow box.
    I had read, and believe it to be true, that Remington ammo is loaded a little hotter than the other two. I really noticed this when shooting my .357sig Glock.
    The Green box stuff had much more "snap" to it, than WWB in that cal. Also noticed it in .380acp as well. It seems to me that Federal ammo is dirty as well.
    I guess I should stop here and state if I am buying ammo at Wally World.

I typically order ammo on-line in large quantities, my favorite is Speer 124gr. in 9MM for range ammo. I carry 124gr. and 147gr. Gold Dots in my EDC, and have a mag of 124gr. Cor-Bon as well close at hand.
    I do like hotter ammo in modern day semi-auto pistols, it just seems to run better.

Top Bottom