Colt 1911-22 Gov't model made by Walther: Input?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    convert

$350

Does anyone have experience with this and can compare it to the Sig Sauer 1911-22 (I owned that one, but traded it off).
    I have the Beretta Neos (newly acquired) and love it and wondered if this would be any kind of different fun, or just more of the same.
    After getting my S/W M/P Compact 22LR, I lost interest in the Sig, made by GSG, (metal on the Sig slide was a zinc alloy and I didn't trust it for the long haul and putting thousands of round through it).

I have wanted to check out the Browning 1911-22 (mark against it is that it is 85% in size),

There are 3 tiers of this: Gov't. model, rail model, and the Gold Cup (there is a Gold Cup for sale for $350 on Armslist, but I feel it's too much.
    I would pay $250 for it now, but hesitate at $300 b/c you can get them new at Hoosier Armory for $335 +tax and $365 +tax (don't know the difference between them).

I could have bought the Gov't. model used twice at Marksman Shooting in Westfield for $200 each time but I already had the Sig at the time.

Anyone have a suggestion on which 1911-22LR to look at?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My little brother has this in the standard govt model, shoots real nice I think. If I remember correctly it is a 12 round capacity as well over the gsg 10 round. I had a gsg many years ago and I always regretted trading it, great plinker. We enjoy shooting the colt branded 22 as well, no worries here.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Save up get the browning buckmark target do the hingis spring flip for the trigger add an optic.
    American made browning. Money stays in the USA. Then the search for random cheaper 22’s will end.

i will miss the threads myself.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Probably a rebranded GSG. It's definitely not made by the 'real' Walther but might be by their airsoft parent company, Umarex. Umarex walthers (PK380, P22, CCP, others?) are crap compared to the 'real' Walthers (P99, PPQ, PPS, older stuff).

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Probably a rebranded GSG. It's definitely not made by the 'real' Walther but might be by their airsoft parent company, Umarex. Umarex walthers (PK380, P22, CCP, others?) are crap compared to the 'real' Walthers (P99, PPQ, PPS, older stuff).

Amen to that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Consistent with what I’ve read.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've heard (Warning: this is gun shop talk... take with a grain - or a kilo - of salt) that the slide is heavy for a blowback 22 and can have reliability issues, especially when dirty.

Moving the whole slide, as opposed to just a portion of the slide (like a Ruger, Browning, etc) seems to be an easy way to get some bad reliability issues due to the size/weight of the reciprocating mass. Even if alloy/aluminum if it's bigger it'll have more areas for friction and dirt to interfere

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    1. Consistent with what I’ve read.

call it first hand experience: I have a CCP. it's always worked for me and my wife likes it but the slide has more slop than my actual airsoft guns and after some not-insignificant help from AllenM, the improved trigger is sill about as smooth as dragging a steel pipe over an asphalt road.

Taking it apart and looking at it as an engineer and comparing it to my other guns, the best adjective I can think of is amateur. I appreciate the design but the implementation basically reeks of someone with no experience or expertise in firearms. case and point: the slide can travel far enough to pick up a new round without travelling far enough to cock the striker. that means you can end up with a live round, uncocked (and no indication as such), and no way to cock it without loading a new round. I have yet to encounter another pistol or rifle that cannot be recocked for a second strike by short stroking the action (physically possible even if it's difficult to execute like most 22s). I also have a HK P7 (that also uses the gas-delayed action... about the only comparison) and it's like comparing a high end BWW when they were at their peak to a Trabant. In practice, I've never had an issue with it and it's comfortable to shoot (for such a small, light gun, other than the trigger) and it carries like a dream but I just cant trust it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Buy that Ruger 1911 you have been eyeballing and then pick up a conversion kit. Two birds. One stone.

1. A 22LR conversion kit for a Ruger 1911 .45?
    2. Sounds expensive, but I'll google it.

3. Just got back from trying to check on them.
    4. I do not feel confident in ordering the correct conversion kit, nor doing work with firing pins or whatever it was I read about.
    5. Then there is the reversal process when wanting to reverse the process, then doing it over again.
    6. Sounds like the probability of reliability issues would be elevated, but that is just my non-gunsmithing experience talking. :dunno:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. A 22LR conversion kit for a Ruger 1911 .45?
    2. Sounds expensive, but I'll google it.

3. Just got back from trying to check on them.
    4. I do not feel confident in ordering the correct conversion kit, nor doing work with firing pins or whatever it was I read about.
    5. Then there is the reversal process when wanting to reverse the process, then doing it over again.
    6. Sounds like the probability of reliability issues would be elevated, but that is just my non-gunsmithing experience talking. :dunno:

I'm not well versed on the conversion kits for 1911's but I would not think you would have to do any firing pin work. I have the AA kits for Glocks and it's simply swapping out the slide and mag. The AA kit for 1911's looks similar in operation Advantage Arms Secure Online Store: 1911 Conversion Kits . That said, I went with the conversion kit for the Glock instead of a dedicated gun, because there was no exact replica/dedicated gun on the Glock in 22 LR, since there is for the 1911, not sure I'd go the same route. :twocents: And even when I do run the AA kit at the range, I'm not swapping anything there as I just pick up another Glock I have when doing centerfire work, and have the AA kit on another.

The kits at least on the Glocks are finicky on what ammo they like, and therefore specific brands with specific bullet profiles are recommended, but that can be expected when not building a gun from the ground up and engineering it to work with what is there, and when dealing with 22 LR on top of that.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm not well versed on the conversion kits for 1911's but I would not think you would have to do any firing pin work. I have the AA kits for Glocks and it's simply swapping out the slide and mag. The AA kit for 1911's looks similar in operation Advantage Arms Secure Online Store: 1911 Conversion Kits . That said, I went with the conversion kit for the Glock instead of a dedicated gun, because there was no exact replica/dedicated gun on the Glock in 22 LR, since there is for the 1911, not sure I'd go the same route. :twocents: And even when I do run the AA kit at the range, I'm not swapping anything there as I just pick up another Glock I have when doing centerfire work, and have the AA kit on another.

The kits at least on the Glocks are finicky on what ammo they like, and therefore specific brands with specific bullet profiles are recommended, but that can be expected when not building a gun from the ground up and engineering it to work with what is there, and when dealing with 22 LR on top of that.

1. In my reading about the different kits, there was a mention of "being careful when taking out the firing pin" in one (which scared me away).
    2. Since I bought the ATI GSG 1911 22LR at ZRT in Noblesville area (140/37) with the $530+ in upgrades for $350, I'm good to go anyway.
    3. Thanks for spending the time to educate me: I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. In my reading about the different kits, there was a mention of "being careful when taking out the firing pin" in one (which scared me away).
    2. Since I bought the ATI GSG 1911 22LR at ZRT in Noblesville area (140/37) with the $530+ in upgrades for $350, I'm good to go anyway.
    3. Thanks for spending the time to educate me: I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Yep, I'd have gone for the dedicated gun in that case as well.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Somewhat off topic kind of but I have the Walther made Mp5 .22 clone and it runs like a top and had been great
    The GSG gun is different than the Walther in my model and I have seen some pretty poor reviews on the GSG (falling apart, terrible reliability and accuracy). The Walther was about $150 more than the GSG but seems to be worth every penny
    Walther VS GSG
    Walther wins
    FAF248EC-71AB-4F9B-80E7-3DFD89139017.jpg

Top Bottom