• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    hi all -
    I might do some rearranging of my humble handgun collection. If that happens, it may open a spot for a medium-sized (yet concealable!) semi-auto... likely in 9mm flavor, but perhaps in .45.

I already have and will be keeping a Shield in 9mm, so this other gun won't be my main ccw, but I like the option of a higher cap pistol for certain carry situations.

I'm a convert to CZ and like them so far, and i like hammer-fired guns. the P-01 and the PCR seem to be perfect. Any reason NOT to get one?

EDIT TO ADD:
    I should have added that I already have a 75 Shadow (short dust cover) that I love.

After digging around, I can say that there are more differences than just the rail.
    PCR has loaded chamber indicator, different sight cuts, different trigger. - not ambi
    P-01 has rail, typical CZ sight cuts - not ambi
    P-01 Omega has rail, omega internals + trigger, ambi decock/safety

I'm a lefty so I prefer, but don't have to have, ambi controls.
    As of now I'm leaning towards the P-01 since it will be only occasionally carried, but I like a light on my home defense guns (this would fit that role and be in that rotation)

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You're not going to get a lot of help on here, lol. Based upon the recommendations you're about to get, I can tell you just go ahead and open your WALLET!

I had one, and absolutely loved it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This may seem trivial but I had a p-01 with the standard trigger with decocker, the trigger ate my finger alive. One day at the rand and the bottom of my trigger finger was completely raw from sliding under the trigger and getting caught inbetween the trigger and the guard. I sold it the next week, and bought a p01 omega as soon as I found one. I can shoot the p01 omega all day and enjoy it. Not everyone will have the same problem with the stand p01, but it was a huge turnoff. I think the p07 is probably one of the best hammer fired compact high capacity pistols made. Again tho I'm partial to the omega trigger. The p07 is a good deal lighter than the p01 or the pcr, just as accurate, cheaper, and comfortable enough to shoot all day. I wish I would have picked up one of the Mexican federali versions with the more aggressive grip, but I've been really impressed with the p07's.

I would recommend the 01 and the pcr, but if carry is in your mind the 07 is lighter and the polymer frame does better with sweat. The 07's can be had for very cheap on the used market, and the 2nd gens with the omega trigger are nearly bulletproof making them a great option to find used. THe 01 and the pcr hold their values well and if bought used you will get your money back if you decide it's not for you.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Another P-01 fan here. Mine has been pretty much fully Cajonized by The Wizard. Interesting feedback from Ggreen ^^^, as I had shot mine a bit before the new Cajon hardware was installed, and don't recall ever having problems with the original trigger. It now sports the 85 trigger, and definitely no problems to report.

The PCR is a bit of a rare bird. They don't come up as often or seem as readily available as the P-01, and because of this generally command more of a premium on the used market. They are nearly identical except that the P-01 has the rail... both are decockers with an alloy frame, so rust on the frame from sweat shouldn't be an issue.

Mine is the oldest gun in my smallish stash/collection. After the Cajon upgrades, I also installed some cocobolo grips and a FO front sight. Never a single hiccup or failure to report with an exception using some WWB range ammo that had a couple rounds that were out of OAL spec, and these same rounds wouldn't chamber in a couple other 9mm guns that were being used that day as well.

This is the gun that started me on my CZ path. I can't imagine ever letting go of it. Below is an older cell phone picture of it, along with the 75B in matte stainless that's also been fully worked over by The Wizard:

nXwLcCh.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    I am now on my third P-01. Best midsize EVER and fires all types of ammo, or case material. If it fits in the mag, it will work.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I current have a PCR as my EDC and it is a real sweetheart. I upgraded to night sights and carry it all day in a Black Arch holster with no issues. I trust it with my life and I wouldn't part with it for anything. I actually just sold my P01 because I never shot it much after getting a Rami BD.

Both are really great shooters and natural pointers. It basically comes down to whether you want a rail or not.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Buy it. Everything I have to say has already been stated upthread. CZs are the best production duty 9mm’s out there.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    I current have a PCR as my EDC and it is a real sweetheart. I upgraded to night sights and carry it all day in a Black Arch holster with no issues. I trust it with my life and I wouldn't part with it for anything. I actually just sold my P01 because I never shot it much after getting a Rami BD.

Both are really great shooters and natural pointers. It basically comes down to whether you want a rail or not.

I put a threaded barrel , Osprey Suppressor and CT laser on one of my P01's. Cats meow.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you aren't opposed to the polymer frame, look at the P07. Its a great gun. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and its a very sweet pistol and can be modified if you so choose.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    hi all -
    I might do some rearranging of my humble handgun collection. If that happens, it may open a spot for a medium-sized (yet concealable!) semi-auto... likely in 9mm flavor, but perhaps in .45.

I already have and will be keeping a Shield in 9mm, so this other gun won't be my main ccw, but I like the option of a higher cap pistol for certain carry situations.

I'm a convert to CZ and like them so far, and i like hammer-fired guns. the P-01 and the PCR seem to be perfect. Any reason NOT to get one?

Nope. No reason comes to mind as I fondle one of my CZ's.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I kind of like having a rail, so a P01 would by my choice over the PCR. The baseplates on the magazine on the P-01 are more comfortable, or at least for me, the rubber lip is better than the steel flange hanging out but that's easily fixed. Don't care for the loaded chamber indicator really on the PCR

Overall though they're both great guns and you'll be happy.

I only currently have a P-01 Omega Suppressor Ready, been pretty pleased with it as a suppressor host and probably fits my hands better than my 229.

Plan on starting a P-01 collection eventually, probably get one of those steel frame models with the ambi safety, locate an olive drab one, there's a ton of P-01 flavors out there

The decock on the P-01 Omega is......strange. More Sig-ish than CZ since it pivots forward vs rearward.

I've never had the problem with the sharp curve on the P-01 trigger, but can see that some would and I don't know why it's at such a steep angle, but someome familiar with CZ internals could pop that trigger out, heat it, bend it, and trim a tad to cure that, or replace it with a CGW trigger

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Unless you feel the need for a rail on your carry gun I would go with the PCR. Basically they are the same gun without the rail.

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I’m pretty set on a P-01 Omega as well. This will be my first handgun, so a little flexibility between trying out different styles of carry (cocked and locked, DA decock, etc) will be nice features to have.

The only questions is where I can find somewhere that actually has any to sell!

Top Bottom