Browning Black Label 1911-22: buuy or pass.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After I pick up some 380 and 45 acp ammo after work tomorrow, I'm going to ZR Tactical solutions (146th/37) to look at a gun I remember seeing there when I got my Sig Sauer 1911-22 fixed after I bought it with upgrades but it had been done with C & W Accessory parts which did not fit (the guide rod had to be cut out), and I put in replacement parts that fit from the experts at ZR.

They had an array of guns on a wall for sale.
    I remember a Browning Black Label that they had bought, never fired and had upgraded it for a display model.
    I am going to look at tomorrow b/c my research on 1911-22s get negative reports on about every gun I ask about.
    The Sig I had was made by GPG, the Colt made by Walther is really farmed out to Umarex and etc.
    I believe the Colt/Walther is better than some of the others, but on a thread I have about that it's not winning any awards either.
    It seems the Browning is at least made by Browning (and certainly that is good) and had good reviews as far as reliability.

I wanted to get a 22LR 1911 and am not getting any direction for which one, just warnings.
    I think the point is I'm on the wrong track. :dunno:
    I have the Smith Compact 22 and the Beretta Neos, both of which I love (we won't mention the Taurus and Beretta tip-up barrel 22s).
    If the Browning is not going to be a flavor different than either of the two I mention I shouldn't bother, but if it is the best-made 1911-22 out there then I want it anyway.

Anyone have experience with this Browning 1911-22LR?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    What is it about the 1911 22lr? Is it the look or the feel?

If you like the feel of a 1911 I'd look at a ruger 22/45.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What is it about the 1911 22lr? Is it the look or the feel?

If you like the feel of a 1911 I'd look at a ruger 22/45.

1. The look. And on the Sig Sauer I owned: the size and weight of it, neither of which the Browning has, but the Browning seems indestructible from my reading.
    2. I actually was looking at a Ruger 22/45 after work at a gun shop around Washington/Post where I shopped back in the late 80s (they moved from another location: don't remember where) It looked different enough to get my attention.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Brownings size kills it for me, I was ok with the gsg and or the umarex(Walther) Colt, at least it's the correct size and takes real 1911 stocks.

1. Understood: holding it could be the end of the interest since I have small 22LRs and my fascination for 1911 22s was b/c of size and weight and of course, looks.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I always liked the Ruger MK III Hunter, All stainless, fluted barrel, nice sights.

https://ruger.com/products/markIVHunter/models.html

Or the Browning Buck Mark, this particular model:

Buck Mark Plus Stainless UDX

1. Since I had the Mark 1 back in the late 80s, I would like to get a Buckmark if I go that direction, which I'm trying to avoid, finding solace in my Smith Compact 22 and Berretta Neos.
    2. I'm looking at a Browning 1911 Black Label that has been upgraded at ZR Tactical this evening for $450, but it is light (15 oz, I think) and only 85% of full size, both which are against it, but they have a stellar reputation for reliability and so resale should be solid, even though it's over my usual target of under $300 or no more than in the $300s.
    3. Of course, I have violated that much in the past few purchases :dunno: and should just say "in" the $300s. :laugh:

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I got the GSG because the size and weight was close to a center fire. I would think a GSG tricked out by ZR would still be better than the 3/4 size Browning. Yes, I like the look and feel of the 1911. I have a 1911- BB gun and airsoft- both with blow back action that I enjoy. For my 1911, I got the Range Officer in 9mm, and before everyone goes off on the 9mm, I had to tone down from the 45. due to some injuries to my fingers, hand and wrist. The recoil of the 9 is tolerable over the course of fire, as opposed to the 45 which would leave me in pain.
    I actually have two GSGs, one Govt size and a Commander size, and I need to get the second one in there for them to take a look at

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I really like both the .380 and .22lr black label Browning 1911 style autos. The price has kept me away. If I found a decently priced used model I would strongly consider it.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I have the Browning 1911-380 Black Label Medallion. I got it because it fit my hand perfectly, is fun to shoot, should be a good carry weapon for me, and looks pretty. The 1911-22 physically is the same size. For .22s I have shot the Buckmark over 1,000 rounds and enjoy it more than the S&W Victory. My wife has a Ruger .22lr 22/45 Lite. I like the Buckmark better, but since I am the one cleaning the guns, the Ruger is fantastic.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I really like both the .380 and .22lr black label Browning 1911 style autos. The price has kept me away. If I found a decently priced used model I would strongly consider it.

1. Anytime I ever see one for sale, it is selling for $500.
    2. For that money you can quickly get a new one

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    So I was looking over the Browning website. All of the .380 and .22lr models are listed as composite frame. Do they not make any of these with a metal/alloy frame?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I went to ZR Tactical Solutions and handled the Browning 1911, felt it, and did not buy it: too small and too light for what I has in mind for a 1911.
    I did buy something else there only b/c they updated "everything" on it and I wasn't going to get an another 1911 "hopped" up like this, so I went for it.
    I'm embarrassed to say what it is b/c I'm going to get all kinds of grief over it, but I'll wait until I start a thread about it and have pics to post, although pics will not mean anything.
    Maybe I'll forgo the pics of an unexciting gun and just list all the upgrades. :laugh:

Speaking of threads, I also bought a gun tonight at Hoosier Armory that you will be surprised about: there will be pics in a thread about it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So I was looking over the Browning website. All of the .380 and .22lr models are listed as composite frame. Do they not make any of these with a metal/alloy frame?

1. When I was at Point Blank Gun Shop and Range Sunday they had just gotten in and did not have on display yet a:
    Browning 1911 .380 all metal. It seems to be the same size and weight of the Browning 1911-22 I had in my hand last week at ZRT.
    2. Very unique piece: I wonder how old it was?

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    I bought a 1911-22 when they first came out. It was the all metal version, they still offer this as the "regal" model. I loved everything about it except the sights, couldn't see them at all. There are no aftermarket sights available and I couldn't find anyone to do any custom work, so I sold it. I had wanted to have a S&W j-frame rear sight installed like thy used to do on the old school 45s. I still miss it and now that they have a "Black label regal" model with decent sights, I might pick one up. Great little gun, very well made, and lots of "cool factor".

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought a 1911-22 when they first came out. It was the all metal version, they still offer this as the "regal" model. I loved everything about it except the sights, couldn't see them at all. There are no aftermarket sights available and I couldn't find anyone to do any custom work, so I sold it. I had wanted to have a S&W j-frame rear sight installed like thy used to do on the old school 45s. I still miss it and now that they have a "Black label regal" model with decent sights, I might pick one up. Great little gun, very well made, and lots of "cool factor".

1. Interesting. Therefore, being all metal, it should not be as light, which I objected to (the 85% was not desirable for a 1911 either).
    2. If I ever get a chance I'll shoot one: the reliability factor is what really got my attention in my research, which is one of the reasons I bought the S/W M/P Compact 22LR: research.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I have a 1911-380. The frame one it and the 1911-22 are the same. It's a composite with impregnated aluminum. Browning won't say what the formula is.

Top Bottom