• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    I would like to get a .380 for summer time carry option. Browsing online I liked the M & P Shield 380.
    A friend said I should instead purchase a 'baby' nine; his preference a Glock 26. I just want something easy for cc that's fairly accurate and fun to shoot. I have a compact Springfield xdm, which has been fun to shoot at ranges and great for home defense. But I"m looking for a lighter handgun to carry outdoors. No preference on brands; .380 or 9mm?
    Anyone's input is appreciated. I plan to narrow it down to two or three and rent/try them out. Thanks.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you are wanting a 380 then go with the S&W bodyguard. I owned a glock 42 and hated it. The bodyguard is good I just don't like .380 and i don't ever carry it. Extreme circumstances where i need to deep conceal might be an exception.
    I think the .380 shield is a gun for *****s and armatures who don't properly learn how to shoot a gun. For the same size gun you can have a 9mm shield that has a caliber that will actualy be MUCH MORE effective in stopping your attacker and it is easily manageable with proper technique

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    If you are wanting a 380 then go with the S&W bodyguard. I owned a glock 42 and hated it. The bodyguard is good I just don't like .380 and i don't ever carry it. Extreme circumstances where i need to deep conceal might be an exception.
    I think the .380 shield is a gun for *****s and armatures who don't properly learn how to shoot a gun. For the same size gun you can have a 9mm shield that has a caliber that will actualy be MUCH MORE effective in stopping your attacker and it is easily manageable with proper technique

Those damn armatures!

Dc_armature.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'd look at the Shield (probably not the 380 EZ - unless you have trouble raking a slide), I prefer the Ruger LCP II over the Bodyguard (both have very long trigger pulls but if size and weight are your priority) or take a look at the Sig P239/938.

Personally, I CCW a Shield or a Sig P938 depending on the circumstance.

Head to a range and rent a lot of small guns - they are very user specific.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have the Shield 9 and 45 (45 only a little bigger), and I also have the Smith Bodyguard 380 (b/c the $200 price tag I couldn't pass it up).
    The Smith Bodyguard 380 is smaller than the Shield 9, and someone said that there are 9mm just as small as it, and I don't doubt it.
    I have bought and sold many small 9mms since last May and some like the Ruger are so small, but I didn't have my Smith Bodyguard at the time to compare.
    I didn't need the Bodyguard (have a Colt Mustang 380 from 1990), but I got the Bodyguard for $200 and had to buy it, and if I need really small it has its function.
    I can't use my Shield 45 in my ankle holster sticks out too much on pant leg), and can barely use my Shield 9mm, but the Bodyguard 380 is not issue.
    But, I usually use my Smith snubbie b/c I prefer a revolver, and have never worn the Shield 9mm in the ankle holster.
    I have used the 9mm in my DeSanti pocket holster with the extra flap to hide printing from the handle.

I am amazed at the size of the small 9mms (been away from guns and carrying since 1990, came back 10 months ago).
    My old "small" (in its day) Colt Mustang 380 is as large as today's small 9mms, just like they are saying.

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    My wife has mild arthritis and carpal tunnel in her hands, she is literally unable to rack the slide on my semi-auto pistols and can't ever pull the trigger on a double action revolver without cocking the hammer first, and even that's difficult. Right now her bedside home defense gun is a .22 handgun (i know). I figure it's better than nothing.

I'm seriously considering this gun because of its EZ rack capability and relatively low recoil.

Some people are slamming this gun only because it's not right for them, but you need to be aware that there's a lot of different people with different needs out there.

AmateurE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2017
    NWI
    I think the .380 shield is a gun for *****s and armatures

I think the .380 shield is a gun for *****s and armatures who don't properly learn how to shoot a gun.

Don't look at me***, I have a S&W Bodyguard and love it.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-shield-ez-consumer-advisory
    [h=1]M&P®380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Consumer Advisory[/h]

Like any firearm, the function of the M&P®380 Shield™ EZ™ Manual Thumb Safety pistol can be influenced by the type and quality of ammunition used with the pistol. In the case of the M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety, we have found that in very rare circumstances, ammunition that produces a high level of felt recoil can cause the manual safety to move from the fire to the “safety on” position during firing. Should this occur, you will not be able to fire the next round unless and until the manual safety is reset to the fire position.

At Smith & Wesson, we are committed to designing and producing firearms that meet the highest quality and performance standards. To ensure that every Smith & Wesson handgun meets our standards for reliability and performance, as of April 4, 2018, we have engineered the manual safety so that it will be less susceptible to the influence of ammunition weight, velocity and loads. Any M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety pistol produced before April 4, is eligible for a no-cost upgrade. To determine if this consumer advisory applies to your pistol, please utilize our serial number verification tool on our consumer advisory page. CLICK HERE to navigate to that page.

If your pistol is subject to this advisory, please call Smith & Wesson at 1-800-331-0852 or email us at MP380EZAdvisory@Smith-Wesson.com. A FedEx return label and shipping instructions to facilitate the return of your M&P 380 Shield EZ pistol will be mailed to you promptly. If you have any questions, you may call 1-800-331-0852 for more information.

WARNING: READ AND FOLLOW THE WARNINGS IN YOUR OWNER’S MANUAL. NEVER USE “PLUS-P” (+P), “PLUS-P-PLUS” (+P+); OR RELOADED AMMUNITION WITH THE M&P 380 EZ. ALWAYS USE FACTORY MANUFACTURED AMMUNITION PRODUCED TO SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS.

Dakota

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Hagerstown
    My wife has mild arthritis and carpal tunnel in her hands, she is literally unable to rack the slide on my semi-auto pistols and can't ever pull the trigger on a double action revolver without cocking the hammer first, and even that's difficult. Right now her bedside home defense gun is a .22 handgun (i know). I figure it's better than nothing.

I'm seriously considering this gun because of its EZ rack capability and relatively low recoil.

Some people are slamming this gun only because it's not right for them, but you need to be aware that there's a lot of different people with different needs out there.

My wife just looked at both guns as she was having trouble racking the slide on most guns. The .380 shield was very easy to rack. She ended up buying the 9mm instead and is going to work on practicing racking the slide until she gets better at it but I think the .380 would be a good alternative to the 9 for some people.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    The purpose and market of this gun is those that are not likely to correct this that way though.

Good point. The few sessions at the range I have had the wife shooting with thumb on safety 1911 style and has not been an issue. Next time at range I'm going to try and reproduce it with few mags of her carry ammo. Will make decision after that if it's going back or not. Honestly at this point I'm not concerned and will let her make the final decision on going back since it's her gun. Of course if I can reproduce it the decision will be made very quickly.

Top Bottom