Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am so ashamed.:ugh:
    I can't even tell you who the manufacturer is I'm so ashamed. :dunno:
    I have been wanting a 22LR 1911 style gun since I traded my Sig Sauer for a Judge.
    I went to ZR Tactical Solutions to look at and buy a Browning 1911 since my research indicated it was so reliable.
    I didn't want to pay $500ish for one though, but ZR had one never fired that they had put one of their update kits in: bushing, spring, guide rod, SAC, and plug, and it was $450, so I thought I'd go for it.
    After seeing it (so tiny for a 1911), then holding it (so small and light), the only thing it had going for it was it was a Browning and so reliable.
    I looked forward to buying it all last evening and today at work: but no.

They had 2 other 22LR (mostly had an array of your normal larger calibers).
    There was this one (which shall go nameless due to my shame :wallbash: ) that they had really upgraded beyond the usual:
    The ZRTS Ultimate Package including everything you need to upgrade your 1911-22.
    It comes with:
    -full-length guide rod
    -slide alignment cone (SAC)
    -bushing,
    -spring
    -plug

This package is designed to improve the performance of your 1911-22 pistol.
    The bushing and SAC are fitted together before shipping.
    We are the only ones who swiss turn a one piece guide rod that can never separate.
    All steel construction adds weight and reduces split times.
    Stainless busing replaces zinc die cast factory unit that is prone to breakage.
    Oversized spring is much more reliable and doesn’t bind like the factory spring.

Further upgrades were:
    -firing pin
    -front and rear sight (love the "red" sight at end of
    barrel)
    -Cerakote
    -rear
    serations
    -trigger kit
    -STI grips
    -a metal insert where the slide catch works (after the last shot) so it doesn't show wear (my Sig already showed some wear after only very few rounds)

You have to ask yourself: who buys an inexpensive 1911 and "trips" it out? :dunno: ( I know I am asking myself).
    But I just couldn't help myself: I tried to resist but I thought I'm never going to have a 1911 style 22LR that would have these upgrades that address the manufacturers deficiencies.

I was convinced that all the brands of 1911 22LR were not up to the standards of my Shield Compact 22 or even my Beretta Neos.
    But, I'm a novice and I know others will say I wasted my money paying extra to upgrade an inexpensive pistol, but there was no 1911 22 that I found that was at that level (except the Browning, but too small and light).

I know the ZRTS Ultimate Package cost $70ish to buy and I had them install the parts in my Sig Sauer, including literally cutting out the guide rod to remove the non-fitting upgrades that were installed by the previous owner from C & W Accessories (not fit: too tight: bad machining): cost was $100.
    These extra upgrades I estimate from looking online would be between $200 - $300. (I'll call and ask tomorrow).
    So, since I was getting upgrades for the price I paid for the gun ($350), I had to go for it, being a 22LR lover.
    I know the basic gun runs $100 -$150 cheaper, but I'll live with it.

OK, I know I'm going to get a hard time :nono:for feeding my low-end tastes, but I remind you that I bought a Ruger SR 1911 Gov't. model SS 5" barrel with its own upgrades tonight at Hoosier Armory.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Don't beat yourself up over it. I've held that gun in my hands multiple times threatening to buy it. It's worth every penny you spent on it and if you decide later on that you don't want it, shoot me a message. I trust Zack with all of my guns and the reason is because of that gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't beat yourself up over it. I've held that gun in my hands multiple times threatening to buy it. It's worth every penny you spent on it and if you decide later on that you don't want it, shoot me a message. I trust Zack with all of my guns and the reason is because of that gun.

1. Unbelievable! You know Zack! I didn't even get the fact of what you said at first that you held "the" actual gun I bought when I first read it. Thanks for your endorsement! I did have my reservations, but I knew I could sell if needed to someone who would appreciate all the upgrades more than I.
    2. That is exactly why I bought. I quizzed him with all the knowledge I have gained since summer using everything I had read and what he said was totally consistent with what different people were telling me.
    3. Since he fixes and upgrades the brand I bought (which he says is the one to get above all the others for 1911) and people use them in competition after he upgrades them, I was intrigued.
    4. If I have a problem with the gun, I am confident that he will repair it and charge me fairly since I bought an unshot upgraded "floor" model that is used to show/demonstrate what he sells/does.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just got off the phone with Zach at ZRT.
    In pricing out all of the upgrades the total comes up to $530+: wow!
    And I paid $350 for an unfired gun with all of these upgrades.
    Just trying to justify my purchase,j
    I’m sure if you got all of these done at the same time he doesn’t charge this much.

1. $80:The ZRT ultimate package includes guide rod, spring, plug and the slide alignment
    cone
    2. $40: firing pin
    3. $60: front sight
    4. $40: rear sight
    5. $125: Cerakote
    6. $?? Rear slide serrations ( forgot to ask )
    7. $60: trigger kit
    8. $75: STI grips

Total: $530 + rear slide serrations

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OK, I'm ready now to admit what 1911-22 I bought for my shooting pleasure:
    ATI GSG 1911, Semi-Automatic, .22LR, Rimfire, 5" Barrel, 10+1 Rounds

A 1911 clone with the right weight and feel and an identical manual of arms as the original.
    The zinc alloy frame is nearly identical to the original (material aside), most (not all) of the parts are interchangeable with the real thing,
    and the trigger is nice and smooth when you break it in.

Made by German Sport Guns, imported by American Tactical Imports
    Built the same size and with the same ergonomics and controls as the real 1911
    Zinc alloy frame with black anodized finish for corrosion resistance
    Holds open on an empty magazine
    Commander-style hammer
    Extended magazine catch
    Colt Series 80-style firing pin block safety and mag disconnect safety
    Includes 3 front sights (low, medium, high), 1 magazine, various wrenches and chamber brush

Caliber: .22LR
    Action: Semi-automatic
    Capacity: 10+1
    Barrel length: 5"
    Barrel: Threaded
    Frame: Zinc alloy
    Grips: Checkered polymer
    Sights: Novak
    Overall length: 8.5"
    Overall height: 5.5"
    Overall weight: 34.4 oz.

Pics below are copied off a gun review site.
    The pistol I have, ZRT put a Cerakote finish on it so it is more boring looking than these pics b/c it doesn't have all the "white" markings and stampings visible anymore, plus, mine has different grips, sights and some internals: did I mention it is more boring looking?
    I will eventually take pics and post mine but it still will be boring.
    I can show some of the original parts that were replaced since some were left in the box.

To remind you:
    I did pay $350 for this gun (retail price for just the gun), but remember,
    I got $530+ in upgrades (rear slide serrations I forgot to ask price),
    so that is how I justified paying more than I could have bought the gun for at Hoosier Armory ($240),
    b/c having owned the Sig Sauer 1911-22, which I bought used (unfired) for $200 and I put just the ZRT Ultimate Performance Package in it ($80), but had to pay $100 total b/c Zack had to cut out the C & W Accessories ill-fitting parts the previous owner had installed.
    B/C of having the Sig, I knew that the Cerakote was a good thing,
    and the metal insert where the slide "catches" to keep the slide from wearing a bigger rectangular "hole" in the slide was priceless b/c there was steel and alloy "bumping" each other and the steel was going to win at the expense of the softer alloy slide. (if I understand correctly, might be saying it wrong)
    I truly do appreciate all the unseen parts I previously listed a little, but most of you will understand the long-term benefits of them so much better than I.
    Just the internal being replaced where you don't have to use an allen / hex type of wrench to begin the break-down so it will break-down like any "normal" 1911 is worth $$ to me.
    (Sorry about lack of proper terminology)

GSG-1911-.22-1.jpg
    GSG-1911-courtesy-gunnuts.net_.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report time.
    I took my GSG 1911-22 and compared it to my beloved S/W M/P Compact 22 (which I love after shooting nearly all other 22s out there) especially since I paid $300 new (at Rural King): never hardly could find one used, and the one time I did it cost more.

I shot CCI mini-mags.
    I shot at 5, 7, and 10 yards (I can't even see where I'm hitting a 10 yrd.)

The first number is how many shells were closer (or in) the bulls eye and the 2nd number is a little outside that (if 3rd number, a little bigger circle out or 4th number further out)
    GSG = 5 yds: 8 - 1 (WINNER)
    S/W = 5 yds: 5 - 3

GSG = 7 yds: 0 - 1 - 0 - 2; 5 - 4; 6 - 3; 5 - 2 (WINNER)
    S/W = 7 yds: 0 - 1 - 1 - 3; 9 - 1; 7 - 1; 3 - 0 (must have lost my concentration on this last 4th round) (WINNER 3 of 4 rounds)

GSG = 10 yds: 8 - 1 (WINNER)
    S/W = 10 yds: 6 - 1

(I was using different targets so you can't compare different yardages or even w/i a yardage, but you can compare the "round" which is above/below each other).

The GSG with its upgrades has proven to be more accurate than my S/W Compact.
    This is the first time the Compact has been beaten in my tests, with the Mark 4 being almost as good (w/i 1 shell per magazine consistently), but all the others: Ruger, Wather and etc.: not even close.

I still like my Smith Compact ($300 +tax) the best but the GSG ($350 +tax) is different enough as to warrant its existence, like the Beretta Neos ($175).
    I am delighted to have all three in semi-autos.

I had a failure to load for the 1st round of a magazine b/c the Range Master showed me I had to release the slide all at once and let it "snap" into position (which efficiently pushed the shell from the mag into the chamber).
    I was pulling the slide back and then assisting (holding it, slowing the slide going forward so it would not "snap" into place b/c I had thought I'd read that it wasn't good for the gun and caused it to wear doing that?
    Range Master said not to do that.
    Never happened again after that.
    With my Shield, the slide really "snaps" back and I was not letting the slide "snap" forward but "assisting" it (by holding on to the slide as it went forward w/o an issue,
    but the shell would not feed in the GSG when I did that.
    The GSG slide didn't have nearly the "snap" going forward into position like my Shield did?
    I thought if seemed "sluggish" compared to the Smith Compact.
    That is puzzling to me since I know it has an upgraded stronger spring installed.
    I wonder if I should call Zack at ZRT and ask him about it?
    Perhaps someone here will tell me it's normal for that gun.
    I didn't try the Beretta Neos that day to compare: too busy with the GSG 22 and the Ruger 1911 .45 (comparing it to the Shield 45 I have).

I actually learned this when using the Ruger SR 1911 .45 (that's what I was using when I asked the Range Master what was going on)
    I had been shooting it using my technique w/o issue, but I was using a different ammo that seemed to be old b/c of a light "coating" of "dust" on the shells.?
    On my Shield 45, using my technique of keeping hold of the back of the slide so it didn't "snap" forward was not an issue,
    but it was on my Ruger.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You should NOT "ride" the slide to close it when there is a round being fed into the chamber. Either use the slide release if the gun is so equipped or overhand it (I use the overhand method as I carry guns that have a slide lock as opposed to a slide release) some use the 2 finger approach to pinch and pull back the slide and let it go. Do not ride the slide when chambering a round. The gun is designed to handle that without an issue, and the extractor should have no issue with the mechanics of that. It's doing it for every other round it feeds. If the gun feeds fine when you are not riding the slide there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Different folks have different opinions on letting the slide fly on an empty chamber (I don't do it, as I see no purpose), but when there is a round being fed, there is definitely no reason to "ride" the slide.

Also, there are different mechanics at play when comparing the "snap" of a 1911, an M&P 22, and the NEO. I would not expect them to "feel" the same, just that they should all load the first round fine when not riding the slide.

Just a general note and not specific to these guns, but I generally find that tapping a 22 LR semi auto mag's floor plate on the bench (just a small settling tap) helps "seat" the rimfire cases a bit in the magazine. Not needed for regular centerfire rounds designed for a semi auto. This is my experience with the types of 22 LR guns I shoot, and may not be needed on yours.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You should NOT "ride" the slide to close it when there is a round being fed into the chamber. Either use the slide release if the gun is so equipped or overhand it (I use the overhand method as I carry guns that have a slide lock as opposed to a slide release) some use the 2 finger approach to pinch and pull back the slide and let it go. Do not ride the slide when chambering a round. The gun is designed to handle that without an issue, and the extractor should have no issue with the mechanics of that. It's doing it for every other round it feeds. If the gun feeds fine when you are not riding the slide there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Different folks have different opinions on letting the slide fly on an empty chamber (I don't do it, as I see no purpose), but when there is a round being fed, there is definitely no reason to "ride" the slide.

Also, there are different mechanics at play when comparing the "snap" of a 1911, an M&P 22, and the NEO. I would not expect them to "feel" the same, just that they should all load the first round fine when not riding the slide.

Just a general note and not specific to these guns, but I generally find that tapping a 22 LR semi auto mag's floor plate on the bench (just a small settling tap) helps "seat" the rimfire cases a bit in the magazine. Not needed for regular centerfire rounds designed for a semi auto. This is my experience with the types of 22 LR guns I shoot, and may not be needed on yours.

1. Strange, I responded to this thread 2 hours ago but don't see it, must have forgot to push "Post Quick Reply." I forget to push "Send" on the cell texting all the time.
    2. Appreciate you taking the time to "tutor me" and it must be that doing it to an empty chamber is what I had confused with loading up the 1st round from a full magazine :ugh:
    3. Appreciate the "tapping" hint. I did read where to make sure when you put in your (especially on the last shell in the magazine) to keep the rim in front of the rim of the shell underneath it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is a good looking piece. May look into one.

1. I have spent the evening researching other 1911-22 (Rock Island, Kimber, etc) besides those I had previously researched: Browning, Colt, Sig (owned that one), and the more I learn the more I am thrilled that I got the GSG platform with all the upgrades: it will outlast any shooting I'll do.
    2. I was intrigued by the all-steel R.I.A. however.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You have entered Phase II of gun ownership. Modification and Customization.

As you've been in the car cultural before, you know where this leads!

Congratulations!

1. Yes, but I did it "on the cheap." :dunno: Only I could get $500 of mods in a gun and buy it unfired for $350. :lmfao:
    2. Buying an "expensive" gun, then modding it: not going to happen in my "first year." :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Was at the range Sunday.
    There were 18 people in line waiting to get to the register/desk for the range, and 14 people waiting in the "lounge" to get into the range: never again on a Sunday, but I had to test out a 9mm Charter Arms before sending it back AGAIN.

45' = all left and high

30' = all left and high

15' = all left

Deduction: need to learn how to adjust sights

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Was at the range Sunday.
    There were 18 people in line waiting to get to the register/desk for the range, and 14 people waiting in the "lounge" to get into the range: never again on a Sunday, but I had to test out a 9mm Charter Arms before sending it back AGAIN.

45' = all left and high

30' = all left and high

15' = all left

Deduction: need to learn how to adjust sights

Have you considered a shotgun? :):

Top Bottom