• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Hi guys I was wondering what your opinions would be on buying a CZ Sp01 or P09. I'm looking at both Urban Gray threaded barrel versions. I've owned sp-01's in the past and I loved them, but I have never shot a p-09 and was wondering how it stacks up in comparison to the sp-01. I chose to sell my last sp-01 when I had back surgery and now I'm back to work and wanting to get another or potentially replace it with a p-09.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    The guys over in the CZickness thread are an encyclopedia of knowledge on CZ's, own about every model, and many own multiple models so they could give you a good comparison.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I currently have a couple of P09s in .40 and have had a P09 in 9mm in the past. I also have an SP01 currently and between the two, I like the SP01 better unless you are buying it for carry. The full size P09 in 9mm has a 19+1 capacity and with the +2 mag extensions, pushes that out to 21+1. It's big for CC but it's not too heavy for all day carry. When you shoot the P09 with the mags loaded to capacity, you get to the point where you start wondering if the thing will ever run out of ammo.

The P09 is far easier to work on than the SP01 but the SP01 can be tuned to a slightly better result IMO. It really comes down to what you are wanting to do with it. If you are looking for an HD gun with a capacity that's hard to beat, the P09 works really well. If you are looking for the sweetest shooter possible, then the SP01 might edge the P09 out.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    SP01.... though admittedly I've never been much the fan of plastic.

YMMV

(Of course, this is coming from an old guy that just picked up an LCR... with a plastic frame.... LOL! It's a CZ... it's going to be good)

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Thanks for the input everyone! So I went to a gun store and I asked to check out the urban grey sp01 and p09. The salesman was great and I didn't realize that they had a p01 not a sp01 in urban gray. I was looking at the p09 before I noticed and I asked his opinion. He explained that he never owned a p09, but the p01 had less muzzle flip due to the barrel staying stationary while the slide comes back. When I realized it was a p01 I really milled it over and I knew I walked in wanting an sp01 or p09. I went with the p09 because I figured if I was going to get a p01 it would be for concealed carry purposes and I wouldn't want the threaded barrel on it. I have a strong feeling after doing a little bit of research I will be back to buy a p01 in the near future.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the P09! Those guns are less expensive to tune with CajunGunWorks parts if that is something you are interested in. They are also really easy to disassemble for internal polishing. I think CZ makes a nice .22lr Kadet kit for those as well. I have a Kadet kit for my P07s and it can really cut the cost of a range trip down. On my .40 P07, I'll take it to the range and run a hundred or more rounds of .22lr through the Kadet kit and then finish the trip by putting the stock slide on and running a box of .40. The result is a lot more trigger time getting the feel of the gun for a lot less money than if it were all .40 being shot through it.

The P01 is nearly the perfect carry gun. I don't think I'd go with a threaded barrel P01 also as the raised height sights could complicate holster choices. The SP01 would make an excellent suppressor host though.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I own a P09 and CGW kit really made it that much better of a pistol. Knowing what I know now I should have spent the money on the kit sooner.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm EDC'ing a new p07 with a threaded barrel. I realize the p09 is a bigger frame but with the right holster, the threaded barrel is a non-issue. I'm also carrying with a tac light.

-JD-

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The SP01 Phantom has a polymer frame. The regular SP01 is a metal frame.

Yes..... I am aware.

What I was trying to say is that because I am not generally a fan of plastic guns, I may be biased against the P09.

The opinions of others, of course, may vary.

Top Bottom