• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Was wondering what everyone thinks about the Ruger SR9C? Never shot it before this gun was purchased. I have heard great things about them but never had the extra cash to buy. So any thoughts or recommendations for upgrades or just general input is appreciated.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I have the 9E (full size version, but without all the bells and whistles). I love it. After ~1500 rounds, I've only had 1 failure to fire, and that was a bad round. Like BigTanker said, buy mags. Grab a Gun had the best price. I got 4 of the 17 rounders shipped for less than $80. Enjoy it. You've got a great gun.

Last edited:

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I plan on going to the range this weekend in clarlsville,in. Will give some more feedback as soon as i put some lead down range.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Congrats on having the SR9c. In order to have a satsifactory shooting session with it, if you haven't already done so, take some time to strip it down, remove the firing pin, and clean the firing pin channel very thoroughly . The earlier models had an issue with light strikes, that may have been remedied with the later models, I don't know. Galloway sells a stronger firing pin spring, which also eliminates the light strikes. Good luck with the pistol, it is a fine gun, and a good choice for EDC.

Sfrye5853

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just like senort mentioned, clean the striker and channel really well. I've had mine for about 2 years now and it is just starting to experience the light primer strikes. I was/am still learning and never knew about the need to clean the channel. It definitely makes a difference running a thoroughly cleaned gun lol.
    Enjoy the heck out of it, I love mine. My son and dad also have one and they love them.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Usually, the striker channel is full of grease from the factory. Clean it once. Lubricate it properly and you'll be good to go.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Love it! It was my first pistol, and remains my EDC. It is a great pistol.

That said, if I were buying today, I might go with the Ruger American Pistol Compact 9mm - only because I get the impression that the RAP series will replace the SR series.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Others have already noted cleaning out the striker channel. While you're in there, you can remove the mag disconnect as well. Takes just a few minutes, and you are set for a lot of enjoyment out of your SR9C. The stiff recoil spring makes the slide a little harder to rack, but also a pleasant and pretty accurate shooting experience. I always loved how slender this pistol is for a double-stack. I didn't have so much as a single hiccup with mine.

I ended up gravitating towards hammer-fired options, but the SR9C is one I sometimes wish I'd kept. I always thought the SR9C was one of the most under-appreciated EDC options on the market that is also a lot of fun at the range. It will serve you well!

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    SR9c is my EDC and very accurate. The only issue I have is that mine is a little picky on ammo. Mine jams on PMC Bronze, Fiocchi, Geco, and that Tula steel crap. Everything else it cycles great. I especially like the results from the Hornady American Gunner XTP HP for my EDC ammo. Have Fun!

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Thanks everyone for the great tips. I have thoroughly tore down the gun. It did have an unneccessarily amount of grease in it as you guys mentioned. Oiled it up and now shoots like a dream. I enjoy havin the multiple safeties on it, since im in different areas of crowds and family events. So i use the safety needed for me to feel great about it being locked&loaded. Its 1 hell of a gun for sure. I purchased it used for cheap and its turned out to be best decision ever.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I've had mine for a few years. Everytime I've thought of replacing it, I shoot it and can't do it. It shoots everything, is very reliable, very accurate, and has a great trigger. I bought the Ruger American compact, but liked the SR9c much better. I also have the Sig p320. I like it, but not quite as much as the Ruger.

Top Bottom