• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just thought I'd toss this question out there. So, you bring a brand new Glock home. Do you do the normal drill of complete disassembly, cleaning and lube before starting to break it in? Or, do you just run it after a quick inspection of the internals to make sure there are no burrs or debris inside?

I've always cleaned and lubed every gun I've brought home, Glocks included. Most guns come with a preservative oil that is not intended to be a lube and cleaning that out is mandatory for initial operation. But, Glocks come with a bit of copper colored lube on the base of the slide that probably should not be scrubbed away before shooting for the first time. Does that indicate that Glock expects us to pull them from the box and then run the crap out of them as is?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You are WAY overthinking this...... just run the crap out of it. See if you can set it on fire..... I am quite certain that Glock does not really give a crap what you do to it - except maybe limp wrist it. Dat is verboten!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't think you'd hurt it by giving it a good cleaning.
    Glocks are a simple design that doesn't take much effort or much material to clean.
    My Glocks get cleaned MAYBE twice a year, or every 4K rounds (whichever comes last)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What? Me overthink? I may have had issues in that area before. :): I think I'll grab some ammo and head out to the range after work and see how the new blaster runs. Thanks for level setting on the Glocks guys.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Depends on how many rounds you shot on the trip home from buying it. :dunno:

Less than a couple thousand, prolly not gonna clean it. More than a couple thousand, prolly clean it, if it starts acting up... ;)

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Glock is the ONLY handgun I own that don't get meticulously cleaned after every range trip.
    Glock is an ugly utility pistol. It's made to carry and shoot. Nothing pretty about them to worry about needing a good cleaning.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I clean every new/new to me GLOCK I get. And give it a solid look while I have it apart.

He finally admitted it!

Anyway, I think I remember something about the firing pin channel can be quite dirty. Pull the back plate off the slide and it comes right out.(I think) Clean it up and put it back in. No oil!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I clean every new/new to me piece I get. And give it a solid look while I have it apart.

Pretty much my take as well. I clean them, inspect and lube and then shoot it. I don't think you'll hurt one shooting it straight out of the box, but just prefer doing a quick field strip and lube before doing so myself.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My objective is always to clean and inspect a new gun for proper function and proper lubrication. Sometimes, a quick stop at the range gets in the way....

Used guns ALWAYS get the best inspection my uneducated eyes can provide before firing. Always.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would probably punch the bore of any preservatives, if they have any.
    Other than that I think you'll be okay to shoot it straight out of the box, I don't think you will hurt it at all.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Wait....I should clean my Glock?

Why?

Oh...brand new. Take a pencil. Shove a Kleenex down the barrel. Remove. Load. Rack slide. Pull trigger.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Needs to be disassembled to put real sights on it anyway. Makes it easier to install the SCD too, but disassembly isn't strictly necessary to do that. As for cleaning it, I guess it wouldn't hurt anything.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Whenever I buy a new staple gun I always take it home and disassemble and inspect and lube it before I use it on a target........ Question from the back row -"So you're saying that a Glock is just like a staple gun?" Why....... yes I am. Pretty much just like a staple gun.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    When I get a new one I don't clean it. I add more lube (in addition to the copper junk on it) and go shoot it a bunch. Then when it's pretty dirty I give it it's first good cleaning.

BlackGun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    When I get a new one I don't clean it. I add more lube (in addition to the copper junk on it) and go shoot it a bunch. Then when it's pretty dirty I give it it's first good cleaning.

Same for me good inspection initially and run it.

Top Bottom