Which 9mm 1911 target to get (and where)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    So I've been following several of the recent "which 1911" to purchase. My one and only 1911 is a Kimber Crimson Carry. Although it is more accurate than I am, and now runs fine, it has been finicky with ammo in the past. Knock on wood, I've finally got that past me. I'm now wanting to get a 9mm 1911 primarily for unofficial IDPA type shooting. This is nowhere near a need, as I have several plastic fantastic guns I can run, as well as a mid 80s Ruger, but I want to shoot something artistic as well. I really like the look of the Kimber Stainless Target II (
    3200326)
    , and although it has the sights I want, with the past experience, not that interested in it. :dunno:

I've looked online at the Springfield Range Officer P19122L and handled a couple of similar ones from Springfield, and the basic Range Officer doesn't seem to have the fit and finish I'm looking for. The RO elite models feel better to me, but I just don't care for the black finish on them, nor have I found one set up with the sights I want. If they were an honest to goodness blued finish, I'd probably be all over them.

I thought I had finally decided on the Smith Performance Center Pro 178047, even though it doesn't have the front fiber which I want. It seems much smoother to operate than the others I was handling. However, reading Churchmouse's comments made me question Dan Wesson. However, I hadn't been able to see one in person until this past weekend when I was able to fondle a Discression at Cabelas in KC. Wow. That felt nice. The slide felt like it was on ball bearings. The finish was immaculate and even though it didn't appear to be a traditional blued finish, had some depth to it.

Looking online at the CZ site, it looks like the PM-9 has everything I'd like, but I'm nervous about ordering a gun this expensive (at least to me) without at least seeing one example of it. I'd also like to have a dealer that can stand behind it, just in case something is wrong with it.

So.. my basic question is where can I go to see more Dan Wesson's to make a better decision? Is it really worth it over the Smith Performance Center? I'm in Lafayette, but willing to drive several hours if that is what it takes.

Just to head off the inevitable... I've looked online at Les Baer, Wilson and Nighthawk without finding what I would like. Now I could have lived with the Cabot Damascus with Mammoth tooth grips, but alas it sold! :cool:
    Hopefully somebody will be willing to let me in on the secret "fishing hole" where I can pull in the perfect pistol! :rockwoot:
    --Rick

Edited to correct misspellings...

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana Gun Club is something of a Mecca for high quality 1911’s, at least from what I have heard. You can check their inventory on their website as well.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I'm in Lafayette and I have a DW Valor commander in 9mm. Not a target model, but willing to let you look at it if you want to check fit and finish of a DW.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    aC6EV3Qh.jpg

I would venture to say the PM9 is a pretty sweet gun, probably about a thousand trouble free rounds down the pipe. Short of an STI Rangemaster in this price point the Dan Wesson is king IMHO. Go to the Indiana Gun Club that is where this one was bought. Speaking of which I need to call Wes and see where the CZ Tactical Sport Oranges are!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would shy away from Smith on a gun in that price range. They don't make guns like they used to, seems like the corporate motto is "send them out fast, fix them if they come back".

In your position, want quality & don't need to hurry, I would order a Les Baer which you already said you don't prefer, so my second choice would be to call 1911 Heaven and see what he has to offer.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would shy away from Smith on a gun in that price range. They don't make guns like they used to.

In you position, want quality & don't need to hurry, I would order a Les Baer.
    If you are a great shooter, then get a Les Baer with the 50 yard 1 1/2 inch guarantee. If you want the prettiest pistol out there, the LB just looks like an old style 1911, so look elsewhere.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I would shy away from Smith on a gun in that price range. They don't make guns like they used to, seems like the corporate motto is "send them out fast, fix them if they come back".

In your position, want quality & don't need to hurry, I would order a Les Baer which you already said you don't prefer, so my second choice would be to call 1911 Heaven and see what he has to offer.

I have a SW 1911 9mm that runs flawlessly and has a good finish quality. It's not a Dan Wesson or a Les Baer but not much is...I'm towards Fort Wayne - you're welcome to shoot it if you ever get my way.

Personally, I would lean towards the DW.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you are a great shooter, then get a Les Baer with the 50 yard 1 1/2 inch guarantee. If you want the prettiest pistol out there, the LB just looks like an old style 1911, so look elsewhere.

Part of it depends upon how close you look, but I agree in general. If you want more glitz than the LB "Boss" and "Hemi" models offer then someplace else is where to go.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Part of it depends upon how close you look, but I agree in general. If you want more glitz than the LB "Boss" and "Hemi" models offer then someplace else is where to go.
    Yeah, I am not in the "OMG there is a tool mark on the inside of my pistol" crowd. But some people are, god bless them.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I am not in the "OMG there is a tool mark on the inside of my pistol" crowd. But some people are, god bless them.

Was thinking external, the slide serrations & small parts fit & slide/frame/barrel fit & grip checkering & etc.. There is 5' away impressive stuff & there is up close & personal impressive stuff.

Ain't no wrong or right to what works for any one person though.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I do really like the look of the Baer Boss, but it is only in 45ACP, and I'm wanting 9mm for this specific gun... I haven't inquired about the potential of a custom version as I don't want to wait 6+ months for it.
    --Rick

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I do really like the look of the Baer Boss, but it is only in 45ACP, and I'm wanting 9mm for this specific gun... I haven't inquired about the potential of a custom version as I don't want to wait 6+ months for it.
    --Rick
    There is the Black Baer that is 9mm....

Black-Bear.jpg

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I haven't inquired about the potential of a custom version as I don't want to wait 6+ months for it.
    --Rick

I talked to the man himself when the NRA show was in St. Louis about building something special for me in 40, he said it was not a problem but I think the 6 months would definetly be optimistic. Could be wrong.

Good luck with whatever you choose! There are a lot of nice options.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The Springfield RO 9mm or Dan Wesson PM9 are both great 9mm 1911's. I've owned both. The RO 9mm has MIM internals that most people change out. The PM9 has higher quality internals. As other's have commented go up to Indy Gun Club. They have probably 200+ high end 1911's.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Go buy a PM9... its gonna do everything you want and more! Its a far superior gun over the other production guns and in all honesty, probably on par with the the semi-customs for far less in terms of price.

Go buy it and dont look back!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Ahh all of the Dan Wesson in this thread makes me happy! I'm really wanting a 9mm DW. The discretion in a way has me but part of me wants something more "pure" too.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom