• ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaS4227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2018
    Greenfield
    Hey guys,

I’m looking for a small gun for concealment while at work. First issue is that work really doesn’t want/like guns. National retail pharmacy chain, and I’m with the drugs. We wear scrubs for work, so I don’t even have pockets to use. I’ll probably be looking at ankle holster that I can run closer to calf height. I’m new at concealed carry (waiting on the LTCH to come back) so any insight would be appreciated. I’m a big guy which I feel might make me target number 1 for a desperate person robbing my store.

Thanks in advance.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Here are some options (not that I agree necessarily with the final decision) as you need to use what works best for you.

As for ankle carry I can't speak personally, but I'd think moving it further up your leg would just make it harder to get to quickly. If you're thinking the most likely scenario is someone is going to rob your store at night, they will almost certainly get the draw on you and then you need to wait for opportunity to reach for your pistol. The harder it is to draw quickly, the less chance you have of being successful. If you haven't already, subscribe to Active Self Protection.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Train, learn, maybe take a class, then figure out which form of CC is best for you. You may find the ankle holster is not for you. You may find Thunderwear or a pocketed CC undershirt works better.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Someone mentioned the NAA (I have the 22 magnum and can't hardly hold onto it: strictly a "gut-gun," which I have carried in my younger days in my long knee-high elastic sock. :ugh:

A .32 caliber tip-up barrel (or even .25, but I'm going to get some wrath for mentioning these small calibers by Beretta if you can find one).

I think the Smith/Wesson M/P Bodyguard .380 is a perfect small firearm, and manufacturers make 9mm the same size.
    And, some of the other .380s are even smaller: Ruger is a good example.

I couldn't believe it when months ago someone showed me a Ruger .380 (I had been away for a long time and it was minute compared to the Colt Mustang .380 I kept).

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Taurus 738/TCPs are another diminutive .380 to look at, similar to the Ruger you saw. They get some crap but seems like it's certain runs were bad. I haven't put many rounds through mine (100? 200?) but never even a hiccup. Not the most friendly to shoot but not bad at all considering the size.

running tho ankle holster high makes it easier to reach but you'll have to pull the pant leg farther to get to it. everything's a trade-off.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Taurus 738/TCPs are another diminutive .380 to look at, similar to the Ruger you saw. They get some crap but seems like it's certain runs were bad. I haven't put many rounds through mine (100? 200?) but never even a hiccup. Not the most friendly to shoot but not bad at all considering the size.

running tho ankle holster high makes it easier to reach but you'll have to pull the pant leg farther to get to it. everything's a trade-off.

1. My ankle holster is my favorite CC mode.
    2. I had to send back a Taurus 709 Slim that I bought, and that was after reading how it was one of three guns of all small 9mm sold to make it to 1000 rounds w/o an hiccup. (Guns and Ammo test few years back)
    3. I would not trust Taurus with a semi-auto, especially a small one (easier for something to go wrong the smaller you get from what I've read). A revolver: yes. (but I've even read issues there :ugh:
    4. I had a problem with a Taurus PT22 (tip-up barrel .22 caliber) that had to be sent back (trigger/hammer not work).
    5. They are on my "avoid" list, although I did buy a large .22 magnum revolver a month ago from a member here (I think) that I love everything about it, I just wish it was a 22LR for cheaper ammo, but it was Stainless and big and a revolver so I "needed" it. :laugh:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    You could carry about any compact / sub-compact with THIS SYSTEM from PHLster Holsters. This system has been tested by several of the more active names in the national training industry before coming to market.

I bought one to play with and I'm impressed... Adding my own kydex holster from different quality mfgs hasn't been an issue, from my testing.

As for a firearm, I'd suggest a G43 or an M&P Shield in 9mm, or a 38 snub as a revolver choice and load it with something like Critical Duty from Hornady, HST from Federal, or Gold Dot from Speer. I don't recommend going below those calibers.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, when you say you wear scrubs, are those worn over your pants/belt, or are the scrubs your pants (i.e. no belt, and nothing underneath but your tighty whities)?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Depending on your build, you can get away with a pretty decent sized gun in a Smart Carry holster. With pants with an elastic waist, the draw isn't terrible and is basically the same as AIWB.

I carried a gov't 1911 in a SmartCarry when I worked IT. I always figured if a man noticed any bulge they would pretend they didn't and if a woman did she'd be suitable impressed.

Obviously build and clothing dependent, but I found width harder to conceal then length (giggity) and the 1911 was much easier to carry than a double stack CZ.

You just have to see what will work for you. I'd caution against going too small on the gun if a pharmacy robbery is your main concern, as distances could be longer than "typical" and your odds of having more than one assailant, and assailant who can find cover, etc. are higher, etc. The .22/.25./.32 recommendations are bad advise for someone with your concerns, period. You're in the situation that if you decide to act and you don't get the job done quickly you could be causing a gun fight or hostage situation. It's not just your butt on the line if you do it wrong, it's the other workers, customers, etc. Get enough gun, and enough training, that if you do decide to act you've got strong odds of ending it before the robber(s) react.

JoshuaS4227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2018
    Greenfield
    OP, when you say you wear scrubs, are those worn over your pants/belt, or are the scrubs your pants (i.e. no belt, and nothing underneath but your tighty whities)?

Scrubs amd skivvys. I'm going to try to upgrade the scrub pants as I suffer from noassatall amd can hardly keep the issued ones up.

Thanks everyone for the info! Need a bit more research/practice it seems.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Ankle carry is slow from a standing position but great for sitting, 2" Taurus 85 is inexpensive, reliable and well made. Not a S&W or Colt but also 1/4th the cost. If you can afford look into the Rohrbaugh. Smallest 9mm ever made but TOTALLY reliable but run $899-$1500. I have 4 and carry one 24/7.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Depending on your build, you can get away with a pretty decent sized gun in a Smart Carry holster. With pants with an elastic waist, the draw isn't terrible and is basically the same as AIWB.

I carried a gov't 1911 in a SmartCarry when I worked IT. I always figured if a man noticed any bulge they would pretend they didn't and if a woman did she'd be suitable impressed.

Obviously build and clothing dependent, but I found width harder to conceal then length (giggity) and the 1911 was much easier to carry than a double stack CZ.

You just have to see what will work for you. I'd caution against going too small on the gun if a pharmacy robbery is your main concern, as distances could be longer than "typical" and your odds of having more than one assailant, and assailant who can find cover, etc. are higher, etc. The .22/.25./.32 recommendations are bad advise for someone with your concerns, period. You're in the situation that if you decide to act and you don't get the job done quickly you could be causing a gun fight or hostage situation. It's not just your butt on the line if you do it wrong, it's the other workers, customers, etc. Get enough gun, and enough training, that if you do decide to act you've got strong odds of ending it before the robber(s) react.

You may want to listen to his suggestions...

Top Bottom