• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    Argos
    I shoot 44 & 357mag quite a lot. What shooting Gloves do you wear? I'm looking for a padded palm if possible. Thanks for the input.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Damn, I felt that over here. ;-)

You wouldn't have felt it if you had been wearing gloves!

OP, if I were you, I'd go to your LGS and try several on to see what feels right and natural to you. IMO, gloves, and apparel in general, are very subjective.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have arthritic hands and use the short fingered padded gloves weight lifters use. Several types are available at all the major big box stores. I think they help my situation.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Over the course of this winter, I did a lot of shooting just using a pair of decent mechanics gloves. Mine were thin enough to shoot most anything with a decent trigger guard. I have not shot my 44 mag Redhawk with gloves much, but am thinking that I should. For some reason, that gun seems to pinch the top of my trigger finger enough to cause a blood blister.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I tried wearing gloves (mechanix) a couple weeks ago. I hated it. I don’t wear gloves even in the winter so I’ve decided that training with gloves is pointless for me.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    PIG Alpha Touch, or Oakley SI's are all I wear for shooting. Neither are very padded, but do absorb some recoil. I have found d that the PIGs are very fragile though, at $42 a pair, not pleased with that so much.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    What type of shooting are you doing? I ask because I'm wondering if all the loads you shoot need to be magnum loads. I have shot a lot of rounds thru my 44 Redhawk. Most of that was silhouette shooting. When shooting big bore (out to 200 meters) I needed mag loads to knock down the targets. For field pistol (out to 100 yards) I did not need mag loads and loaded 240gr lead SWC to 1050 fps. No need to punish yourself when the extra power is not needed.

While I did not use gloves, I used appropriate power for the task at hand. Just wondering if that is an option for you.

A good set of Pachmayr grips does help quite a bit. I think that would be better than gloves.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've only had the Redhawk for a couple of weeks and am just feeling my way through various commercial loads. Sooner or later, I'll build up a toolhead for the 550 and start reloading for yet another caliber.

OP: Hope you are still around and that the first response to your question did not put you off.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One of the things that NFA items do in the summertime is get hot. After a few burns many years ago I started wearing golf gloves with the right index finger tip removed when I would go shooting.

Back in the 70s I shot silhouette like Whip and used those gloves to protect from web splits between my thumb and index finger.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have arthritic hands and use the short fingered padded gloves weight lifters use. Several types are available at all the major big box stores. I think they help my situation.

+1 on the weight lifting gloves. I too have arthritis and bone spurs in my wrists. The padded palm of the weight lifting gloves absorb some of the shock of snappier rounds (like +P target shooting out of my Airweight:shoot:)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Shooting a handgun with a glove will not solve the problem. No glove can defeat recoil energy. It just goes right through it. I have tried all of them. And if you have arthritis now you need to stop shooting the heavy stuff because you're just going to do more damage to your joints and get to enjoy even more pain. Forever. Trust me on this. I had to give up match shooting for 2 years because of joint damage. It's not worth it. Find some lighter recoiling handguns or take up rifle shooting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom