• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I was looking for a new range gun and decided on the m&p 2.0. Was wanting the 5” 9mm thinking longer barrel more accurate. I do not shoot in competition just for bragging rights. Could not find a 5” in stock and ended up getting the 4.25. Does the 3/4 longer barrel have a noticeable advantage?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The longer sight radius makes it a bit easier with the 5” version. That’s the biggest difference I found comparing different length barrels.

There is a velocity advantage to the 5” but it’s not massive and shouldn’t change what you are doing with it.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The longer sight radius makes it a bit easier with the 5” version. That’s the biggest difference I found comparing different length barrels.

There is a velocity advantage to the 5” but it’s not massive and shouldn’t change what you are doing with it.

^^^^This^^^^

I do find my 5" barrel guns to be slightly more accurate, but probably more due to the sight radius as @Areoflyer09 states, but I also think the accuracy improves a bit with the longer barrel, and once again due to what @Areoflyer09 says about the increased velocity. Combine the two factors, and you should see increased accuracy. Enough to make a difference? That is a tougher question that only you can answer.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We've had a few threads about this lately debating the accuracy of a longer barrel pistol, lets say a G17, vs a shorter barrel like a G26. In pure accuracy tests from something like a ransom rest, the G26 was more accurate. Something about the harmonics and the bullet spending less time in the barrel.

But to the average Joe, the longer sight radius will be a benefit.

I have a XDm 5.25 in 9mm that I love. It's accurate. But next to it's 4.5" stable mate, I don't think it's a huge advantage.

You already made the purchace so go with it. Don't worry about what might have been. If the 5" shows up buy it too and do your own tests.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    In my case I find the long sight radius to be not important, for some reason I can shoot my G26 better than my G17. But the one thing is my M&P 2.0 5 inch due to the weight is a very soft shooter and the weight also helps me keep to get my sights back on target a tad faster, accuracy has too many variables but what I learn is that mainly depends on me more than what gun I'm shooting.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I was looking for a new range gun and decided on the m&p 2.0. Was wanting the 5” 9mm thinking longer barrel more accurate. I do not shoot in competition just for bragging rights. Could not find a 5” in stock and ended up getting the 4.25. Does the 3/4 longer barrel have a noticeable advantage?

I have both. When using a rest I can't tell a bit of difference. Granted, I am a lousy shot and I can't see but still, relatively equal accuracy.

Unassisted, I find that I shot the 5" M&P better but that is most likely because I have lots of rounds through a 1.0 PC 5" model and has nothing to do with the inherent accuracy.

Shoot both (buy, rent, borrow). See what one YOU shoot best.

The question for you and competition is likely going to be which barrel length you bring back on target faster. Either will have more than adequate accuracy for popping plates and paper.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    OP

No one here blames you for wishing you had an additional 3/4".

Practice, practice, practice and learn to use what you have. In the long run if you are good with it no one will ever say "You know he would probably do better with an additional 3/4"!

:whistle::rofl:

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Took it to the range yesterday evening. Feels good and no function issues. Was just having buyers remorse because I set out to get the 5 inch model and when I couldn’t find one in stock I settled with what they had. If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one your with. I definitely need a lot of practice with it

Top Bottom