• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent lots of time with an old old friend this weekend.
    I took a bag of guns to show him.
    He showed me his Taurus .357 that he has always kept in a holster in back of his bed.
    Interestingly enough, he showed me this Hi-Standard gun his Dad gave him before he died.
    My friend was willing to sell it to me if I wanted it. :ugh: Really, a 22LR revolver: do I want it? ;)
    I told him I had bought something similar with better grips and w/o the scratches for $180, and with the scratches probably $150, but that I didn't know.
    You might know how honest I am from my writings, but I have no intention of giving $1 less than a fair price (not retail, not 1/2 price, but what I call "fair."
    He has known me since I was 30 and I'm now 65 and he's 60, and know I will do right be him, and he really doesn't care anyway.

Just thought I'd post pics in case this is the long lost "smoking gun" history has been looking for and worth a million dollars. Or not. :laugh:

Give me your opinions: I think $200 is top dollar, and I don't know how much to subtract for the wear and scratches, there is a big one on the right side and a HUGE one on the left side.

I intend to take it to the range tomorrow or Monday to see if it is efficient.
    The barrel seems sufficiently tight for an older gun (with hammer back then trying to turn cylinder like I was shown).

spY8Trw.jpg

7j9J1jj.jpg
    hqGv1Sw.jpg

ak6Si9o.jpg
    2yyxyMU.jpg

qndghWn.jpg
    E1AQKSR.jpg

JOmsOyN.jpg
    GkyoECy.jpg

psjmZZf.jpg
    VSVwglR.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll say this much for those 9 shot 22s. The only city gunfight I ever witnessed, as much as you can witness while hiding, was between two robbers and a factory owner who carried one of those on his belt. I know he carried it because he always had it on his belt when we got food from the Adams food truck in the morning. It was good enough to drive two robbers armed with unknown guns out of his business and down the street.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll say this much for those 9 shot 22s. The only city gunfight I ever witnessed, as much as you can witness while hiding, was between two robbers and a factory owner who carried one of those on his belt. I know he carried it because he always had it on his belt when we got food from the Adams food truck in the morning. It was good enough to drive two robbers armed with unknown guns out of his business and down the street.

1. This is that same one! :laugh: Sorry, just trying to add to the story! :ugh:
    2. That is a great story and you know how I like the story line.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I inherited this model that's been in our family for 50+ years, got a matching gun belt with it sized for about a 24" waist. While I remember people being smaller on average back in the early sixties think a 24" gunbelt was even small for back then. Before Dad passed he said the cylinder timing had worn and that it would shave lead. With it being that many shot cylinder and that old that's one of the concerns I'd have with the cylinder timing. Mine may show more holster wear than your example. I've always thought anything more than $150 was being generous when valuing this model. But as they say the value of a gun is what someone's willing to pay for it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I inherited this model that's been in our family for 50+ years, got a matching gun belt with it sized for about a 24" waist. While I remember people being smaller on average back in the early sixties think a 24" gunbelt was even small for back then. Before Dad passed he said the cylinder timing had worn and that it would shave lead. With it being that many shot cylinder and that old that's one of the concerns I'd have with the cylinder timing. Mine may show more holster wear than your example. I've always thought anything more than $150 was being generous when valuing this model. But as they say the value of a gun is what someone's willing to pay for it.

1. He doesn't want it and would just probably just give it to me, but he is a "dealer" about everything and gets deals on truck, MCs and cars that you just wouldn't believe: selling for more than buying a vehicle after driving it years: consistently. I'm jealous.
    2. I don't need it, since I have a similar item and will not pay the "what someone is willing to pay price."
    3. I could tell him I'll put a price on it and sell it for him and put $200 on it and see what happens, and if noone will pay more that $125, just buy it myself for that price, but if someone is willing to pay $175, sell it to them.
    4. I'm thinking my friend will just tell me to give him $XX for it if I want it once I establish it has a market value of $150 gun, or $125 gun or $100 gun (based on legitimate offers.
    5. Thanks for giving me feedback! :)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have one of the Hi - Standard 9 shot that looks like a single action with a swing out cylinder. Actually mine was made by Hi-standard but sold under the Sears or Montgomery Ward brand names ( can't remember which atm)
    Mine is from the early to mid '60's Numrich has a cross reference .

Numrich has parts available (for mine anyway) if you need parts.

Mine shoots pretty good, if your timing is off check and see if they have a cylinder

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have one and like it. I might be interested in it.

Dave

1. Feel free to PM me what your offer would be and I can forward that information to my friend.
    2. There are no secrets here: you can see everything been discussed in the thread.
    3. Just trying to find out what the market will bear, and I intend to list it this evening, but I’m so busy chasing after four different deals I don’t think I’m going to get around to it.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I picked up one of these revolvers with a 4" barrel from another member here a few years back. I probably paid a little too much for it but it is in great condition and is actually a tack driver. The only problem is when it gets dirty it is hard to load and eject the spent casings. The chambers are really tight and recessed so you have to keep it relatively clean while using it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up one of these revolvers with a 4" barrel from another member here a few years back. I probably paid a little too much for it but it is in great condition and is actually a tack driver. The only problem is when it gets dirty it is hard to load and eject the spent casings. The chambers are really tight and recessed so you have to keep it relatively clean while using it.

1. Your post would have been more fun if you confessed what you paid, especially since you said you "probably paid too much."
    2. We have all been there and it makes us all feel better hearing of the foibles of another: it helps us justify our "weaknesses." :lmfao:
    3. That said: thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have accepted an offer from davedolli who pmmed me today.
    I didn't ask if I was allowed to say the price so I'll be discreet but it was a fair offer.
    So at least I don't have to be tempted to buy it, ha!
    I already had a Hi-Standard I bought a monthish ago, so I didn't need it, despite my weakness for anything .22LR.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going to meet davedolli at Point Blank in Greenwood tomorrow at 5 pm to sell the Hi-Standard.
    I intend to get there at 3:30 so I can have some range time testing it out to be sure there is no problem with it.
    While I'm there I'll get to test out the new Bersa Thunder 22LR and the Taurus 94 22LR that I picked up.
    Since I'll be selling my Ruger SR 1911, I might run a few last rounds through it for the last time.
    Ironically, it might the last few rounds for the Taurus 94 b/c I'm going to buy a Taurus Tracker 990 model that is a bigger frame this coming Saturday, so I won't need th model 94.

Model 990 Tracker:

QA8L1kdl.jpg

Model 94:

32b2400b19c259572806488cf268bffb--revolver-taurus.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    50 years ago I purchased my Hi Standard new for $25.00 dealer in Cicero Il.
    To think about it. It has been a long time sense I enjoyed it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would say $170. tops

1. I totally agree, and since my friend wasn't being greedy, or wanting the very top dollar, davedolli got it for less.
    2. My instincts about what it was worth was right on (despite "inflated" prices of the 21st Century. :laugh:)
    3. I would not have bought it for that since I already had a wonderful Hi-Standard I bought with the 3rd generation hammer and trigger (can't remember correct terminology I was told), and some really WOW grips (big with place for thumb).
    4. I would have bought it if noone wanted it (for a lower price), but I would have to have put it in Armslist first, but I'm really glad someone in INGO got it for a respectable price. I originally told my friend I was going to buy it, but since I have bought or trades or picked up new literally 3 other 22LRs since Sat. when he showed me his Hi-Standard, I came to my senses and held my addiction at bay, or at least guided it.
    :lmfao:
    50 years ago I purchased my Hi Standard new for $25.00 dealer in Cicero Il.
    To think about it. It has been a long time sense I enjoyed it.

5. Hey, you're talking to someone who bought all 22LR guns starting in 1975 through 1990 when I sold everything (to my regret). :wallbash:
    6. I picked up things literally from $5 - $20 for 22s regularly with spending upwards to $50 sometimes to get a name brand (had a Ruger Mark 1 (or was it 2?, but I don't remember what I paid for it.)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've had two in the shop and they lasted less than two weeks...Guy bought one, called me up a week later and begged for me to tell him the other one is still here..I told him it was and he hung up the phone and was at the shop within a half hour...VERY nice accurate revolvers...No less an authority than Elmer Keith said the grips and grip angle of the Sentinel revolvers was the best ever on a revolver....It's dern near perfect....

Top Bottom