• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Chores done including some range repairs so I decided to do a little shooting before dinner. This is an Uberti repro of a Colt 1851 Navy conversion revolver, in 38 special. Like the original 1851, these guns point well and are on target accurate. Loading five and a space you can chase a pop can downrange or hit 4" steel at 25 yards pretty easy. Being an open top gun, cleanup is pretty quick as they disassemble easily. Handsome guns with their brass fixtures and classic Colt lines. I was shooting 158 grain cast lead on top of 4.5 grains of Unique.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    How do you find they hold up? Many rounds through it? Because I shot my 1851 to pieces (black powder .44 though)...made me rethink the no back strap option. I do like the looks and handling though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had this one a few years along with another open top, no issues so far shooting loads like the ones described which are average 38 specials. My other open top is an 1860 conversion in 45 lc.

I know what you mean about the black powder versions and agree, maybe they are put together differently.

SteelDude91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    NWI
    I've had this one a few years along with another open top, no issues so far shooting loads like the ones described which are average 38 specials. My other open top is an 1860 conversion in 45 lc.

I know what you mean about the black powder versions and agree, maybe they are put together differently.

They are in fact put together differently.
    The standard BP repros are designed for just that, BP.
    Even with the conversion cylinders for the BP repros they are only to be used with BP "cowboy" loads. The cartridge guns are designed for smokeless powder and as such are much better built with higher quality metals and parts.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    They are in fact put together differently.
    The standard BP repros are designed for just that, BP.
    Even with the conversion cylinders for the BP repros they are only to be used with BP "cowboy" loads. The cartridge guns are designed for smokeless powder and as such are much better built with higher quality metals and parts.

This is good to know. I have an 1860 Colt Army black powder by Pietta in .44 that is a beautiful piece of work that I have had for many years. I also had a 1858 Remington replica. I just never thought they were made well enough for lots of heavy shooting. I was planning to purchase an 1873 in 44 special and an open top in 38 special similar to Leadeye's in the future.

SteelDude91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    NWI
    This is good to know. I have an 1860 Colt Army black powder by Pietta in .44 that is a beautiful piece of work that I have had for many years. I also had a 1858 Remington replica. I just never thought they were made well enough for lots of heavy shooting. I was planning to purchase an 1873 in 44 special and an open top in 38 special similar to Leadeye's in the future.
    You won't be disappointed, I'm a big time fan of the uberti firearms.

I have three 1873s, an 1860 open top and
    A navy conversion, all get taken out frequently and have high round counts.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Very nice example! I have always thought of purchasing a cartridge conversion for modern 38 Special or 45 Colt.

I also had a bad experience, when I was young and dumb, with a Black Powder 44. It ended with the cylinder pin being stripped out of the Brass frame upon firing. This resulted in the barrel flying off the pistol and cylinder falling to the ground by my feet. No harm just an unnerving experience.

Top Bottom