• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am wanting to ask about RMR placement on a pistol. I know there are some guys on the forum who have taken training classes specifically addressing pistols and red dots. I have not. I would really like to hear from you guys as I know all about the whole you don't know what you don't know thing, and want to make the right decision.

Are you/should you be running the RMR in front of the rear sight, or are you running it in the very back with the rear site in front of the RMR? I know that people stand on opposite sides of the fence on this. Is it personal preference or are there reasons I don't know as to why to go with one over the other? I am going to send a 19 off for milling soon and I need to have a decision made. Thanks guys!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    This is just me but I would mount the rear sight behind the RMR, the reason being is if the RMR takes a crap on you, you still have a maximized sight distance with your irons. As with the RMR sight distance is irrelevant the bullet will go where the dot is placed.

Though one could argue that placing the iron sight in front of the RMR makes sense as when performing one handed manipulations such as racking the slide off a table the irons will take the brunt of the impact possibly sparing the RMR some abuse.

I need to stop thinking about this so much :rockwoot:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Bfish, check out Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics. He has several YouTube vids concerning RDS pistols. He prefers rear sight in front of the RDS, and has a video that gives the reasons. I prefer the RDS in front of the rear sight, mainly because that is how I learned the platform.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Bfish, check out Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics. He has several YouTube vids concerning RDS pistols. He prefers rear sight in front of the RDS, and has a video that gives the reasons. I prefer the RDS in front of the rear sight, mainly because that is how I learned the platform.

What he said. I've done a couple classes with my RMR gun. I don't see having a short sight radius(sight in front of RMR) as an advantage when/if the RMR goes down.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I prefer rear sight behind the RDS, it's the first thing I look for during presentation and I like to have it where its always been. What you will find from the different opinions is that there is no wrong answer, it boils down to preference and both offer advantages.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have checked out the Sage Dynamics stuff as well as the Gabe Suarez stuff. Both are on opposite sides of the fence. I'll go back and look at both of their opinions as well here in a bit tonight.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have checked out the Sage Dynamics stuff as well as the Gabe Suarez stuff. Both are on opposite sides of the fence. I'll go back and look at both of their opinions as well here in a bit tonight.

David Bowie was one of the early proponents of putting it in front of the rear sight. Some will remember that being a spat between him and Suarez as they were really the first two guys doing this as a normal thing. (Yes I realize others played with it before this including Kelly McCaan.) I have taken a lot of classes with my red dot guns and some of them have been RDS specific classes. No one has convinced me that one was is significantly better than the other. The two go to guys out there right now for red dot carry gun training, Aaron Cowan and Scott Jedlinski do not agree on this point and dot size. (Aaron prefers larger dot, Scott smaller.) My two cents is that it is just not going to matter.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    David Bowie was one of the early proponents of putting it in front of the rear sight. Some will remember that being a spat between him and Suarez as they were really the first two guys doing this as a normal thing. (Yes I realize others played with it before this including Kelly McCaan.) I have taken a lot of classes with my red dot guns and some of them have been RDS specific classes. No one has convinced me that one was is significantly better than the other. The two go to guys out there right now for red dot carry gun training, Aaron Cowan and Scott Jedlinski do not agree on this point and dot size. (Aaron prefers larger dot, Scott smaller.) My two cents is that it is just not going to matter.
    Funny, the last time I mentioned on here about Suarez being at the forefront of RDS pistols, some laughed. Like him or not, Gabe is one of the driving forces behind RDS pistols, and their overall acceptance of late. As you said Kelley McCann/Jim Grover did it way back, but Suarez has been actively pushing these for almost 10 years.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Funny, the last time I mentioned on here about Suarez being at the forefront of RDS pistols, some laughed. Like him or not, Gabe is one of the driving forces behind RDS pistols, and their overall acceptance of late. As you said Kelley McCann/Jim Grover did it way back, but Suarez has been actively pushing these for almost 10 years.

Not to get too far off point but, like him or not Gabe did more to mainstream slide mounted optics on a carry gun than anyone. There were other early proponents like Steve Fisher, DocGKR, and others, but none had the marketing impact like Suarez did/does.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you were wanting to do the milling yourself, how far away do you place the RDS from the rear sight?
    Definitely get measurements, I’ve seen a bunch of Bubba’d slide cuts. The worst had gone clear through the metal into the firing pin channel, ruined slide. Another that did the same, but welded up the hole he made and got it right the second time.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’d like to get a RMR. I’ll have one someday. Just not sure if I’d want to mill my current slide, or buy another slide.

Another option would be to buy an already milled slide from Suarez.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Good deal, I've watched gotten into Suarez and Cowan but not Jedlinski, I'll check his opinion out.

I am looking at behind rear sight to protect glass and in front because it may be able to get a sight picture since i'm used to having the rear sight and can reference. I've got two different friends with both setups I may try and get them both to let me get ahold of them on a Saturday and shoot them side by side, I know I'm getting way to deep into it, it's just permanent and money is all.

Thanks guys for the replies.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good deal, I've watched gotten into Suarez and Cowan but not Jedlinski, I'll check his opinion out.

I am looking at behind rear sight to protect glass and in front because it may be able to get a sight picture since i'm used to having the rear sight and can reference. I've got two different friends with both setups I may try and get them both to let me get ahold of them on a Saturday and shoot them side by side, I know I'm getting way to deep into it, it's just permanent and money is all.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I understand. Not made of money myself. This is my newest, milling courtesy of AllenM.

IMG_20180305_211624.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    So was “they” (supposedly). I can loan you my slide to copy if need be, my RMR is back in MI getting a new windshield.

Did you break the glass??

Also that looks really good cedartop! Allen has done some things for me in the past, and it's always great!

Top Bottom