• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, this came out of the blue: thunderchicken here on the site pmmed me and offered to buy my Shield .45
    He heard me mouthing off about selling it after I sold my Ruger SR 1911 and I had to man-up and do it.
    Deal is done.
    But, it gets more interesting.
    He mentioned that he had a gun that I wanted and so the short version is that I had to have it and he had to have my Shield, so it was win:win, the way I like to do a trade with everyone happy.
    Before the trade came up when coming up with a price I looked up Armlist and saw the Shield going for $350 (too low, made me suspicious), $400, $450 and even $500.
    I told him I'd be selling for $400, but then the trade came up.
    I hate to mention what it was b/c the accusations of addiction will surface (again). :dunno:
    You will be unimpressed and disappointed in me (again). :laugh:
    .22LR SS Taurus model 94 revolver with 4" barrel with 9 round capacity.
    I don't have a 4" barrel. How could I live or go on w/o one? :popcorn: And it was stainless, so ...............
    Anything Stainless and a .22LR and it's got my interest.
    It has a red sort of sight at the end of barrel, which means I can at least see it. :ugh:
    I put a value on his gun and I wanted $xx in cash in addition to his gun, and he came back offering a fair offer, almost what I was asking,
    so I decided to go for it,
    although I'd intended to decline if he didn't agree to my terms, but he came close, and the gun had a great profile and it fell into my lap, so the rest is history.

So, I have yet another .22LR and it's in SS, so I'm happy.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First off, I will say I think we are both happy with the trade/deal we made.
    My dad bought a 45 Shield and after shooting it, I was hooked...or obsessed. I had to have one. I threw out a line fishing to see if doddg was serious about selling. He did seem a little on the fence at first and I told him I didn't want to be too pushy but just think about it. He gave me the asking price, but honestly I just wasn't planning on pulling the trigger yet. So I hemm hawwed around and kept coming back to...this guy likes SS .22s, maybe he will take a partial trade. So I threw the idea out and as doddg made me a deal I couldn't refuse.
    I am super stoked to get out to a range this week and put some rounds through it. Oh and there are a few variations of this Shield with/without thumb safety etc and it just happens to be exactly like my dads. Only upgrade I see coming are night sights. Already ordered a quality holster for it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First off, I will say I think we are both happy with the trade/deal we made.
    My dad bought a 45 Shield and after shooting it, I was hooked...or obsessed. I had to have one. I threw out a line fishing to see if doddg was serious about selling. He did seem a little on the fence at first and I told him I didn't want to be too pushy but just think about it. He gave me the asking price, but honestly I just wasn't planning on pulling the trigger yet. So I hemm hawwed around and kept coming back to...this guy likes SS .22s, maybe he will take a partial trade. So I threw the idea out and as doddg made me a deal I couldn't refuse.
    I am super stoked to get out to a range this week and put some rounds through it. Oh and there are a few variations of this Shield with/without thumb safety etc and it just happens to be exactly like my dads. Only upgrade I see coming are night sights. Already ordered a quality holster for it.

1. It just makes my day to know someone is as happy with a trade as me (although I did come down some due to my stainless and 22LR addiction) :dunno:: well-played, sir! :thumbsup:

2. I did use the Shield .45 as my benchmark for all the .45s I rented and shot and that gmcttr let my shoot of his (thanks, again for your kindness :)).
    And I liked it as well as anything else I shot, which taught me I could live w/o a 1911 .45, but I saw Stainless and lost control (again). :laugh:
    That was the Ruger SR 1911 SS 5" barrel Gov't. model I plan to list list week for $700 with 5 mags (2 of them 10 round).
    3. I too, can't wait to get to the range; I wanted to go shoot my new Bersa Thunder .22LR that I was able to pick up Saturday, and now your "old" Taurus 94 22LR.
    I was going to shoot my friend's Hi-Standard but apparently it is going to be sold before I get to, unless I go this evening later,
    but I plan to go to the range Tuesday after delivering the Hi-Standard to the buyer. around Greenwood.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is the Taurus 94 model that I traded for getting some cash for parity.

32b2400b19c259572806488cf268bffb--revolver-taurus.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's as much as I ran through it in over 2yrs. Lol.

1. thunderchicken, what do you think about that when/if I get the Taurus Tracker 990 22LR 4" SS this Sat. I'll probably be selling "your" Taurus 94 to pay for it?
    2. I thought that the 94 was decently heavy but I guess the 990 is a beast, which is what I like in my non-carry guns.
    3. We'll see how much in a hurry I am to sell it, though. :)
    4. I've already had someone ask how much I wanted for the model 94, so I'll have to look it up to establish a value, since we traded.
    5. In my mind that would be somewhere between $300-$350ish.

6. By the way, the trigger for double-action on the 94 is quite the beast, isn't it? I never understood about people wanting to swap out the #s/trigger pull: no big deal to me, but this one actually was actually hard to pull in double-action mode (which I won't use much anyway for target shooting).
    7. If I kept it, I would actually consider throwing $25 at it, but paying someone to do it would probably be $50-$75 (I'd make churchmouse do it :laugh: Keep the money in the "family.")

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One of these days I'm going to have to buy a 22 pistola just to see if I get as much joy from shooting one as you do.

1. You would not get as much joy from anything I do b/c it is the way I'm wired (comes form my deprived youth :rockwoot:)
    2. I'm the only guy who feels rich on a school teacher salary, but it took 5 decades of and paying off the house, getting the kids gone (out of college) and no debt = RICH (for me)
    3. Plus, I get to live off my wife's Social Security now. :laugh:
    4. Keeping expectations low is key. Being grateful just to have health and free of pain goes a long way in putting the material things in perspective.
    Plus, I live with an angel of a wife, which I have assured through the years she is my favorite hobby: not the old books, comics, guns (in 70s and 80s) and Motorcycles (had 20ish) and then there was the antique car phase: lost $5000 at the time, which was huge, but in looking back it was acceptable for all the fun and a dream fulfulled. (made $$ on two, broke even on two and lost $5k on two).

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    1. thunderchicken, what do you think about that when/if I get the Taurus Tracker 990 22LR 4" SS this Sat. I'll probably be selling "your" Taurus 94 to pay for it?
    2. I thought that the 94 was decently heavy but I guess the 990 is a beast, which is what I like in my non-carry guns.
    3. We'll see how much in a hurry I am to sell it, though. :)
    4. I've already had someone ask how much I wanted for the model 94, so I'll have to look it up to establish a value, since we traded.
    5. In my mind that would be somewhere between $300-$350ish.

6. By the way, the trigger for double-action on the 94 is quite the beast, isn't it? I never understood about people wanting to swap out the #s/trigger pull: no big deal to me, but this one actually was actually hard to pull in double-action mode (which I won't use much anyway for target shooting).
    7. If I kept it, I would actually consider throwing $25 at it, but paying someone to do it would probably be $50-$75 (I'd make churchmouse do it :laugh: Keep the money in the "family.")

Well first I would say. It wouldn't bother me..it's your gun now. If I was that attached to it I would have shot it more and wouldn't have traded it.
    What trade ideas you have in mind? Lol
    The trigger was never an issue for me. It's a tad heavy but it's smooth. I have shot plenty of S&W revolvers with similar trigger pulls.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well first I would say. It wouldn't bother me..it's your gun now. If I was that attached to it I would have shot it more and wouldn't have traded it.
    What trade ideas you have in mind? Lol
    The trigger was never an issue for me. It's a tad heavy but it's smooth. I have shot plenty of S&W revolvers with similar trigger pulls.

1. "Tad heavy," you must have fingers of steel :dunno:. I've always had great hand strength (from my younger days of push-ups on fingertips :) ), but I really noticed it was the "heaviest" I'd ever pulled.
    2. Trades? Well, I've got one going now for a Taurus 85, SS, 38 special, 5 shot, 2" barrel, Airweight, w/hammer with some cash for my Beretta tip-up barrel .25acp (that I love but I really want Stainless or a nickel, and I have two .32 calibers to trade off also. Might keep one, but I want it in Stainless as well (cost way too much).
    3. I really don't know what else I want.
    I find 22LRs that I didn't know existed (like the S/W 7 shot Airweight 22 magnum revolver) that I bought. I'd like to get something like that in a 22LR.
    4. What I don't have is a "snubbie" 22LR revolver. (I wish the S/W 22 magnum was a 22LR that I just referred to)
    I cannot believe what .22s cost new and when people are selling them used the price is too high,
    although I found one in Greenfield fairly reasonable, it was gone in 15 minutes: what is it about 22s that cause them to sell for more money than I paid for nearly everything I own in any caliber?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

You get Churchmouse to work on a Taurus revolver, and I will truly know that the world has ended. On another note, I'm not sure anyone "makes" CM do anything, except maybe Mrs CM :ingo:

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    Wheel guns have certainly gone up in price. I remember when a good revolver was tons cheaper than an equivalent semi-auto and when trying to trade a revolver for a Semi, many would turn their nose up at it. I think the polymer revolution has lowered the cost of semi-auto's and given the revolver a new appreciation. As for a good solid carry gun, that's easy to carry, I think a "J" frame takes the cake for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You get Churchmouse to work on a Taurus revolver, and I will truly know that the world has ended. On another note, I'm not sure anyone "makes" CM do anything, except maybe Mrs CM :ingo:

1. I am openly chuckling over that one. :)
    2. Well, maybe churchmouse can recommend another "tooler" so I wouldn't have to do a blind up to the counter.
    3. Plus, from what I've heard, replacing a trigger is elementary and I could probably get one of my online friends who know me and live close to do it.
    I'd pay cash or in beer and the best Pizza around (Old Bethel/The Ordinary) in Wannamaker.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, unfortunately I didn't get to get to the range today. I just plain ran out of time.
    My daughter has kept us on the run with her getting ready for her JROTC military ball (this evening). Had to pick her dress up from alterations, while her & the wife had the stylist do her hair and then home so she could get ready. Had to be there at 6 and will have to pick her (and her bf) up at 11 then take them to meet up with the church youth group (stepson has to be dropped off there at 8:15) for a lock in. Then pick them up @6am so she can go take the essay portion of the SAT's in the morning. And then drop off her bf at home. She will be giving it her best but she has been up since 5 this morning.
    I may need some place to go tomorrow to escape the madness/grouchiness. Seems like a good excuse to try and hit the range tomorrow while the kids are napping (no doubt my wife will be napping too).
    So with a little luck I will get to do some shooting tomorrow

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wheel guns have certainly gone up in price. I remember when a good revolver was tons cheaper than an equivalent semi-auto and when trying to trade a revolver for a Semi, many would turn their nose up at it. I think the polymer revolution has lowered the cost of semi-auto's and given the revolver a new appreciation. As for a good solid carry gun, that's easy to carry, I think a "J" frame takes the cake for me.

1. Totally agree! I totally trust a revolver, but I'm not there with a semi.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, unfortunately I didn't get to get to the range today. I just plain ran out of time.
    My daughter has kept us on the run with her getting ready for her JROTC military ball (this evening). Had to pick her dress up from alterations, while her & the wife had the stylist do her hair and then home so she could get ready. Had to be there at 6 and will have to pick her (and her bf) up at 11 then take them to meet up with the church youth group (stepson has to be dropped off there at 8:15) for a lock in. Then pick them up @6am so she can go take the essay portion of the SAT's in the morning. And then drop off her bf at home. She will be giving it her best but she has been up since 5 this morning.
    I may need some place to go tomorrow to escape the madness/grouchiness. Seems like a good excuse to try and hit the range tomorrow while the kids are napping (no doubt my wife will be napping too).
    So with a little luck I will get to do some shooting tomorrow

1. Bad timing having the "lock in" night before an SAT, hopefully this is just his 1st run and he'll have another chance (and hopefully more sleep).
    2. I have to be on the road at 7 am to pick up the Taurus Tracker 990 22LR SS tomorrow.
    3. My wife has something going tomorrow evening so even thought the range will be busy her being gone is a perfect time to test out 3 new guns and see if I can sell yours or have to keep it, compared to the 990.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yea it is her first time taking the SAT. She just wants to get a feel for it.
    Sounds like you have a busy day planned
    What kind of valye have you put on my old gun?

Top Bottom