INGOer Tells You To Get A Grip (On Your Pistol)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    A classic INGO thread already. Information offered, and responded to in the usual way. :ingo:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I appreciate her service in trying to eradicate crappy grip styles. I've been working on adjusting my grip lately as I've developed a bad habit of tucking my strong hand thumb instead of two thumbs forward. That was weakening the whole grip and I think it came from years of shooting 1911s. I don't ride the thumb safety on 1911s because it can rotate my palm off the grip safety. With a week or two of practice with the untucked thumb, the gun has been feeling more planted. It will take a lot longer to get that grip totally into muscle memory for me though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    She has man hands.

DID YOU ASSUME THE GENDER OFF THOSE HANDS?!

did-you-just-assume-my-gender-check-you-privilege-brah.jpg

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I was in The Outdoorsman in Greenwood a couple weeks ago hoping to get a feel for how some CZs fit in hand. Wife was with me to test too, as this will be a HD pistol and I want her to be comfortable with it. First time ever with a gun in her hand, and I’m letting her get used to the weight of it before showing her how to hold it - the guy behind the counter IMMEDIATELY shows her the teacup grip and tells her that “this is the way you ought to hold it”. After a few more comments about specs on their displayed handguns that were 100% incorrect, we left in short order.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nice article Kirk, thanks for sharing. I see people shooting with incorrect grips all the time at Point Blank and just have to shake my head. Most of the time it looks like the gun is going to fly out of their hands.

While I love this video, go to ~1:57 and ~2:13 to see good examples of what I'm talking about:

[video=youtube_share;4KnAzpi4avo]https://youtu.be/4KnAzpi4avo[/video]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was in The Outdoorsman in Greenwood a couple weeks ago hoping to get a feel for how some CZs fit in hand. Wife was with me to test too, as this will be a HD pistol and I want her to be comfortable with it. First time ever with a gun in her hand, and I’m letting her get used to the weight of it before showing her how to hold it - the guy behind the counter IMMEDIATELY shows her the teacup grip and tells her that “this is the way you ought to hold it”. After a few more comments about specs on their displayed handguns that were 100% incorrect, we left in short order.

Last time I was in there the all knowing staff was asking my buddy why anyone would want a glock and started talking about CZ's. To each their own. If he would have recommended a 1911 I think I would have broke down in pure laughter. Probably the ones that tried sharing with you their ancient knowledge of firearms :):

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Last time I was in there the all knowing staff was asking my buddy why anyone would want a glock and started talking about CZ's. To each their own. If he would have recommended a 1911 I think I would have broke down in pure laughter. Probably the ones that tried sharing with you their ancient knowledge of firearms :):

If by “ancient”, you mean “pre-firearms”, then yes. Exactly. I just don’t understand why people that have little experience try to feign intelligence when the person they are talking to has SOME idea of what they are talking about (I was asking for specific models and commenting on features/trade offs of other models).

Top Bottom