• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    When clothing permits I plan to carry a G17, should I carry with or without a flashlight?. The flashlight that I use on all my pistols is then TLR 1HL.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sure, along with a flashlight that's not mounted to your gun (for pointing at the many things that might not need shot). ;)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Always carry a light, even without a firearm. Public buildings get really dark when the power goes out, even in broad daylight. I always carry a handheld, that sometimes supplements my WML, if I carry it that day, but always have a handheld on me, and backups in the man bag, or Jeep/car.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I always carry a flashlight in my pocket.

THIS. It's far more practical.

...and tactical. If things get weird, I draw my flashlight. Then if things get bad I can draw my gun. If, instead, things get normal - there's nothing wrong with holding a flashlight.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I've been debating this lately. Seems like flashlight in the pocket is the way to go. This way you can use it anytime.

Have a friend who works PD and served in Iraq. I was asking about this as I debated whether or not to get a TLR-1 which came recommended in a class I was in with SWAT member. I also thought perhaps a HSP "Inforce"/Haley Strategic. I like the idea of momentary on.

My friend says "You may want a handheld. People like to shoot at lights, and if your face and body are behind that light, well..."

So I am still debating which way to go for personal use. I have also seen variations on hand held method. I'm leaning toward a handheld momentary light, but it would be nice to have one that can go to regular mode too and is durable. This is an item I would not skimp on. I'd love to hear which methods people use or see video demonstration and rationale for which is safest.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I edc a hand held flashlight, lately I notice a lot of people that have flashlight on their carry handguns and honestly I don't want to buy gear that I don't need I'm just trying to figure out if is practical or not.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I edc a hand held flashlight, lately I notice a lot of people that have flashlight on their carry handguns and honestly I don't want to buy gear that I don't need I'm just trying to figure out if is practical or not.
    Nothing wrong or wasteful with having both a WML and a handheld. Handheld for menial tasks and TID of those that don’t need shootin’ and WML for TID of those who do need shootin’.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Handheld light is a must. There are very few times I am without my gun, I am never without a light. WML is optional. Either way, learn the best method's to use them and get some practice in. Sage Dynamics has some good low light video's on you tube to get started.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I can't think of any disadvantage to having a gun-mounted light as another option, but it's proper application will be much more limited in scope than that of a handheld.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Always a handheld, I use Protac 2LX. Perfect size for edc. I carry my light and pocket knife way more than a gun. I also like weapon lights but still carry a handheld. I keep a handheld next to my nightstand gun that has a TLR1 on it. Not every bump requires a gun but if it does then I’ll just drop the handheld and use my wml.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When clothing permits I plan to carry a G17, should I carry with or without a flashlight?. The flashlight that I use on all my pistols is then TLR 1HL.

No downside to having a light on the gun as long as you know how to use it properly.

1. If you carry a gun without a flashlight mounted on it, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.
    2. If you carry a gun with a flashlight mounted on it, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.
    3. If you don't carry a gun, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    1. If you carry a gun without a flashlight mounted on it, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.
    2. If you carry a gun with a flashlight mounted on it, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.
    3. If you don't carry a gun, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.

Amen, well said. Handheld is a must. Everything else is a separate conversation.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    And, carry a good flashlight. Don't go cheap. Practice in low light conditions with your EDC and your edc-light. It's a whole different world.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have 1 holster that accepts my G23+Surelight. Its an OWB that isn't too bad. But, it is a rarity that I carry it like that.

Otherwise, handheld. As stated above, it is useful in a MUCH wider array of circumstances.

Top Bottom