Springfield 1911 vs remington 1911 thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I have been wanting a 1911 for awhile now. Been seeing some deals on the Springfield range officer and the remington r1. I've watched countless vids on youtube and was wondering how others feel about it. Remington is made tighter but the Springfield is smoother. Both are in the price range I want to spend. Any opinions would be helpful and noted.

Thanks in advance.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    From those two choices Spfingfield hands down, the Remington I had one several years back and it was ok but I've seen several have issues with the 80 series firing pin block safety. I like Colt but there's nothing wrong with a springer.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, Springer over Remington any day.

Waiting for churchmouse to wake up and find this thread... :popcorn:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Winner^^^^^^^^^^^^

The RO is not the hands down prettiest 1911 out there but for the money it is hard to beat. As accurate as anything in and beyond the price point. They accept mods readily. I now own and have owned several.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Springfield....I might suggest a third option in that price range (see avatar) but that would be inappropriate given the criteria set forth in your question. :)

My son had a Remington for awhile. Didn't put a lot of rounds through but it was fine. He has since sold it...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Springfield....I might suggest a third option in that price range (see avatar) but that would be inappropriate given the criteria set forth in your question. :)

My son had a Remington for awhile. Didn't put a lot of rounds through but it was fine. He has since sold it...

While not knocking the S$W marque I would as soon have the Springer. I am no fan of the ignition controls in the S&W's. And the snake skin look over serrations is a bit icky but that is just me I guess. Lots of folks like them.

And................wait for it..............that external extractor.......:)

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    While not knocking the S$W marque I would as soon have the Springer. I am no fan of the ignition controls in the S&W's. And the snake skin look over serrations is a bit icky but that is just me I guess. Lots of folks like them.

you said the double E word

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

I can’t find snake skin on this? Lol

7c75a75fd68763d47abdd1e2e8c2642c.jpg

Snake skin? They are referred to as fish scales or more commonly “those ugly a$$ fish scales”.

All in good fun, CM. Your level of 1911 expertise is well above mine and I’m happy to play stock. (Until I build a compensated 10mm).

The OP will find a solid choice in the SA.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can’t find snake skin on this? Lol

7c75a75fd68763d47abdd1e2e8c2642c.jpg

Snake skin? They are referred to as fish scales or more commonly “those ugly a$$ fish scales”.

All in good fun, CM. Your level of 1911 expertise is well above mine and I’m happy to play stock. (Until I build a compensated 10mm).

The OP will find a solid choice in the SA.

OK OK you got me. :):

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This is incredibly superficial, but I just can't get past that big cartoon "R" on the slide, especially since the current executives have gutted that once proud brand.

As for the technical side, I defer to CM, and his position is no mystery.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is incredibly superficial, but I just can't get past that big cartoon "R" on the slide, especially since the current executives have gutted that once proud brand.

As for the technical side, I defer to CM, and his position is no mystery.

In this I have started removing the roll marks from my guns. It takes away from the lines.

This "WAS" an RO.
    As already stated they take mods readily.

nSrCgSV.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In this I have started removing the roll marks from my guns. It takes away from the lines.

This "WAS" an RO.
    As already stated they take mods readily.

nSrCgSV.jpg

I don't mind the Springfield roll mark, but that slick look is nice. Do you have it surface ground?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

Why the knock on external extractors (aside from not being traditional)? Internal extractors are simple in that they only have 1 part but they seem to be more difficult to tune/adjust.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have been wanting a 1911 for awhile now. Been seeing some deals on the Springfield range officer and the remington r1. I've watched countless vids on youtube and was wondering how others feel about it. Remington is made tighter but the Springfield is smoother. Both are in the price range I want to spend. Any opinions would be helpful and noted.

Thanks in advance.

Get the Springer, write a blank check made out to churchmouse and wait for the :drool: to happen. :yesway:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Given those two choices, I'd take the Springfield... BUT I've handled a few Remington 1911s and was quite impressed. I too fear that their QC has gotten away from them a bit, but the couple I've shot and that friends own have kept up quite well with no major issues (sample size of 2). The Ruger 1911s also seem to be a good value if you're looking in the $650-800 range.

Last summer Remington ran some rebates on their 1911s that were just insane - because at the same time a lot of stores were trying to clear them out (or just give them less shelf space)

Like others have said, I don't like the series 80 firing pin block on a 1911 (this ruins Sigs and Remingtons for me, generally)
    So, Springfield wins in my book - but if you found a good deal on the Remmy, go for it!

If you can chip in a bit more money, a blem model from Dan Wesson (usually microscopic blems that other companies would just send through) would be an amazing gun!!! At the $1000 range, S&W and Springfield would get my money.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Love the information. More reasons to have this discussion in my eyes. Maybe I should of made this a poll. I have been leaning towards the RO. The huge part is the fact that remington has been slacking in the QC dept. Then seeing reviews that the R1 slide is the best like glass out of the top 3 (smith included) this will be my fest 1911.

Top Bottom