The New EDC Perfection... M&P m2.0 Compact!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I will start out by saying that I am not new to the M&P platform, and that I have owned over a dozen of them in all their different flavors. Having said that, I'll state in no uncertain terms that the new M&P m2.0 Compact is my absolute favorite!

I picked up my new .40 Cal m2.0 compact a couple days ago and proceeded to put it through its paces. After 250 flawless rounds of range and SD ammo, I will now call this new beauty ready for service. She will now be added to my EDC rotation as my primary as can be seen in the pic below.

I will post a review of the new M&P40 m2.0 Compact as soon as I can get some range pics to bolster my commentary.

Vk7qJHoh.jpg

If you haven't shot the new M&P m2.0 Compact yet, you really owe it to yourself to give it a try. I didn't expect it to be much different or better than my other M&PS, but it really is.

I will give Glock credit where it is due. That "G19 size' really is perfection.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I love mine. I bought one, and after a range trip or 2, bought the requisite backup (1 is none, 2 is 1 is strong with me). I have the 9mm model.

Not quite as simple of a gun as my beloved Glocks, but the M&P 2.0's handle, point and shoot well, and have a great price point.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have the 9mm version and am a fan so far. I carried the FS Gen1 9mm and admittedly didn’t expect their to be a major difference but it is a difference in ease of carry for me (IMO).

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Excellent choice. I am not new to Smith or to the models- had an M&P 9c and have an SD9VE. Tried the 2.0 in both .45 and 9. Trigger is better, so is the grip. Blows away what I currently have. Though I'm lusting after a CZ, the 2.0 is likely to get added once prices go down.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I just ordered mine after doing more research and being able to get it for over 100 under the Glock 23. Should be able to pick it up next week.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Excellent choice. I am not new to Smith or to the models- had an M&P 9c and have an SD9VE. Tried the 2.0 in both .45 and 9. Trigger is better, so is the grip. Blows away what I currently have. Though I'm lusting after a CZ, the 2.0 is likely to get added once prices go down.

I can't complain about the price of my 2.0. I paid $385 plus $20 for the x-fer. That makes it one of my least expensive M&PS, including the Shields.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Question from a "newbie:" I love the Shields and have/had the .45; 9mm and if you want to include the .380 M/P bodyguard.
    I could look it up but also wanted the nuances of difference besides just the specs.
    Is the 2.0 the same dimensions as the Shield 9mm?
    I assume they are, or a hair bigger, but if a hair bigger you are getting into the size of the Shield .45 which I almost kept, but I stayed with the 9mm since it was a "hair" smaller (1/2" in length I think).
    I only do pocket carry (in a DeSantis w/flap to hide printing) and my favorite: ankle carry.
    I need small and started out with the subcompact 9mm guns, but had to have the Shield after some limited experience (thought the Shield was too big at first :dunno:).
    Thanks! Rural King has had these on sale. Don't remember if it was in-house or online, but I think only order online.

rimg.php

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Question from a "newbie:" I love the Shields and have/had the .45; 9mm and if you want to include the .380 M/P bodyguard.
    I could look it up but also wanted the nuances of difference besides just the specs.
    I assume they are, or a hair bigger, but if a hair bigger you are getting into the size of the Shield .45 which I almost kept, but I stayed with the 9mm since it was a "hair" smaller (1/2" in length I think).
    I only do pocket carry (in a DeSantis w/flap to hide printing) and my favorite: ankle carry.
    I need small and started out with the subcompact 9mm guns, but had to have the Shield after some limited experience (thought the Shield was too big at first :dunno:).
    Thanks! Rural King has had these on sale. Don't remember if it was in-house or online, but I think only order online.

No, these are much bigger than a shield. These are Glock 19 sized though with a different weight balance than the Glock. It is not a pocket carry gun by any means. You would need a good belt and holster.

You might want to look at a Sig 365 in the size range you are interested in.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've carried a Glock 43, and honestly the size print is very similar, the width is completely different. Like ws said these compacts are not pocket pistols, but a good holster can make them just as concealable and a bit more comfortable than a pocket holster. I don't imagine you would be to crazy over them going by your smaller is better trend, and 15 rounds of 9mm or 13 of 40 will seem very heavy if not in a proper holster and belt. They do make Shields in 2.0 that would be nearly the same as your older shield.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No, these are much bigger than a shield. These are Glock 19 sized though with a different weight balance than the Glock. It is not a pocket carry gun by any means. You would need a good belt and holster.

You might want to look at a Sig 365 in the size range you are interested in.

1. I’m totally satisfied with the shield 9 point. Deadline we were up to. Are you suggesting that the Sig is that much better than shield nine? Is that much better than shield 9?

3. If you are, I’d have to rental at the range and try it, if they have it.
    I’ll

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

1. I’m totally satisfied with the shield 9 point. Deadline we were up to. Are you suggesting that the Sig is that much better than shield nine? Is that much better than shield 9?

3. If you are, I’d have to rental at the range and try it, if they have it.
    I’ll

I'm not suggesting anything is better than anything. You asked if the 2.0 Compact is the same size as a Shield to which I said no, and you indicated you do pocket and ankle carry and that size was a big factor for you and that at one point, you thought the Shield 9 might be too big (though you seem to have changed your thoughts on that). That is why I suggested taking a look at the Sig 365, more capacity at smaller size than the Shield from what I understand, which would lend it to all the things you indicated were important. Personally, I'm not interested in the 365 as I'm not too interested in Sig.

Here's the specs on the Shield:
    Model: M&P®9 SHIELD™
    Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 7+1, 8+1
    Barrel Length: 3.1” (7.9 cm)
    Overall Length: 6.1"
    Weight: 20.8 oz / 589.7g

Here's the specs on the 2.0 Compact:
    Model: M&P®9 M2.0™ Compact
    Caliber: 9mm​
    Capacity: 15+1​
    Barrel Length: 4" / 10.2 cm
    Overall Length: 7.3"​
    Weight: 24.0 oz / 680.4g (Which I'm guessing is unloaded, because it feels heavier than that to me... I need to weigh mine)

Just for giggles, here's the specs on the Sig 365, with a capacity of 10+1 I believe.
    BARREL LENGTH
    3.1 in (78 mm)
    OVERALL LENGTH
    5.8 in (147 mm)
    OVERALL WIDTH​
    1.0 in (26 mm)​
    HEIGHT
    4.3 in (109 mm)​
    WEIGHT​
    17.8 oz (500 g)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm not suggesting anything is better than anything. You asked if the 2.0 Compact is the same size as a Shield to which I said no, and you indicated you do pocket and ankle carry and that size was a big factor for you and that at one point, you thought the Shield 9 might be too big (though you seem to have changed your thoughts on that). That is why I suggested taking a look at the Sig 365, more capacity at smaller size than the Shield from what I understand, which would lend it to all the things you indicated were important. Personally, I'm not interested in the 365 as I'm not too interested in Sig.

Here's the specs on the Shield:
    Model: M&P®9 SHIELD™
    Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 7+1, 8+1
    Barrel Length: 3.1” (7.9 cm)
    Overall Length: 6.1"
    Weight: 20.8 oz / 589.7g

Here's the specs on the 2.0 Compact:
    Model: M&P®9 M2.0™ Compact
    Caliber: 9mm​
    Capacity: 15+1​
    Barrel Length: 4" / 10.2 cm
    Overall Length: 7.3"​
    Weight: 24.0 oz / 680.4g (Which I'm guessing is unloaded, because it feels heavier than that to me... I need to weigh mine)

Just for giggles, here's the specs on the Sig 365, with a capacity of 10+1 I believe.
    BARREL LENGTH
    3.1 in (78 mm)
    OVERALL LENGTH
    5.8 in (147 mm)
    OVERALL WIDTH​
    1.0 in (26 mm)​
    HEIGHT
    4.3 in (109 mm)​
    WEIGHT​
    17.8 oz (500 g)

1. Oh yeah! I get it; looks great on paper. I'll have to look for it at the range rental.
    2. I thought maybe you'd held/shot both, therefore your opinion would be valuable to a newb like myself.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have held, shot and own both the Shield and 2.0's (not the Sig P365).

They are each very different platforms.

The P365 is competitive with the Shield but it is WAY WAY WAY more than you (doddg) are likely to spend. (Note: was going to put the WAY's in purple but decide not too :)) The P365 is also the flavor of the day and you are not likely to find "a deal" until supply meets pent up demand.

The 2.0 compact is an excellent firearm but (based on your previous threads), I believe you will find it too large for a CCW - especially pocket or ankle. To me, the Shield is the upper limit of pocket carry. YMMV

The compact plastic 9mm that I have recently enjoyed has been the CZ P10C. I wouldn't say its any "better" than the SW 2.0c but I like it better than the Glock 19. These size firearms are going to share more similarities during use with your SDV9E than your Shields.

IMHO, the SW 2.0c is an excellent polymer pistol at a very good price point with very good IWB/OWB characteristics but it ain't a pocket gun.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Oh yeah! I get it; looks great on paper. I'll have to look for it at the range rental.
    2. I thought maybe you'd held/shot both, therefore your opinion would be valuable to a newb like myself.

No worries, just wanted to be clear, I had no position on the 365 other than saying it would seem to fit your interests.

Regarding the 2.0, and the Shield, I have held both, and have shot my 2.0 compacts a good bit. (Just got back from shooting it today, first time since I had the Trijicon HD's installed... and the gun just keeps getting better) The 2.0 is a much different gun than the Shield. Took my son who is home from college on Spring Break with me today and he was regularly ringing steel with the 2.0 Compact. Though his smile got even bigger when we broke out the 15-22 with the red dot and started splattering the steel with 22's.

I have held, shot and own both the Shield and 2.0's (not the Sig P365).

They are each very different platforms.

The P365 is competitive with the Shield but it is WAY WAY WAY more than you (doddg) are likely to spend. (Note: was going to put the WAY's in purple but decide not too :)) The P365 is also the flavor of the day and you are not likely to find "a deal" until supply meets pent up demand.

The 2.0 compact is an excellent firearm but (based on your previous threads), I believe you will find it too large for a CCW - especially pocket or ankle. To me, the Shield is the upper limit of pocket carry. YMMV

The compact plastic 9mm that I have recently enjoyed has been the CZ P10C. I wouldn't say its any "better" than the SW 2.0c but I like it better than the Glock 19. These size firearms are going to share more similarities during use with your SDV9E than your Shields.

IMHO, the SW 2.0c is an excellent polymer pistol at a very good price point with very good IWB/OWB characteristics but it ain't a pocket gun.

Exactly, the 2.0 Compact is not a small gun by most people's standards, but is the equivalent sized counterpart to the Glock 19, with what I consider to be better ergonomics. Many people get confused on the whole full size, vs compact, vs subcompact, vs often even smaller single stack guns, etc.

I agree, the 365 would likely be beyond the $ he is interested in on a single gun (from his history), but my recommendation came from the idea that at some point I figure he "may" slow down and start to look for guns that match a specific purpose (other than being cheap to flip) and be willing to put some money into one (especially one that would be carried and potentially used to protect one's life).

I need to shoot a CZ P10C. I hear great things about them. Doing most of my shooting at a private club, and not with a group, I don't frequent the rental counter much. I may have to try and connect with someone who has a P10C one day and try it out.

I love my new MP 9c 2.0. The trigger with the tactile reset is far better. And it shoots like a dream.

Agreed, I had an M&P 9c several years ago, and sold it off quickly as I just could not convert to that trigger (even after installing an Apex RAM kit in it) from a Glock trigger. The reset was just not there for me. The 2.0 compact trigger reset is much better than the old 9c.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I need to shoot a CZ P10C. I hear great things about them. Doing most of my shooting at a private club, and not with a group, I don't frequent the rental counter much. I may have to try and connect with someone who has a P10C one day and try it out.

If you are near Fort Wayne...you’re welcome to shoot mine.

Ban the fools, not the tools I say. wtburnette

Top Bottom