• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I bought a Gen5 G17 today and when I got it home and began testing it in some of my holsters it was extremely tight, to the point it wouldn't fit in some of the holsters.

I've tried it in custom kydex holsters and Safariland holsters, with and without a TLR1. These holsters fit my Gen3 and Gen4 holsters just the same.

Is there a thickness size difference that I wasn't aware of?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I bought a Gen5 G17 today and when I got it home and began testing it in some of my holsters it was extremely tight, to the point it wouldn't fit in some of the holsters.

I've tried it in custom kydex holsters and Safariland holsters, with and without a TLR1. These holsters fit my Gen3 and Gen4 holsters just the same.

Is there a thickness size difference that I wasn't aware of?

Yes there are a few differences. I can remember the specifics but I think the main one is in the tigger guard.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Hmm maybe its the trigger guard thats snagging on it. My holsters are tight before getting to the slide stop.

Wish I would have known that...

Formed kydex would be an issue. I would think that the safariland's wouldn't be an issue but who knows. I've always had to spot heat the trigger guards when doing a gen 5 made from a gen 4 mold. If you have a hair dryer or heat gun you should be able to self remedy the kydex ones.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Formed kydex would be an issue. I would think that the safariland's wouldn't be an issue but who knows. I've always had to spot heat the trigger guards when doing a gen 5 made from a gen 4 mold. If you have a hair dryer or heat gun you should be able to self remedy the kydex ones.

I actually have of your holsters that you made me for a G22 w/ TLR1 and its the only holster I have that fits the Gen5 I own.

I have 3 Safarilands and it doesnt fit in any of them. I've loosened the retention screw all the way out and the screw on the bottom. I hoped I would be able to physically pull them apart and loosen them up but none of that work. These holsters are ALS and SLS versions. I may get ahold of Safariland and see if they have any resolutions.

Found this video with measurements on Youtube between the Gen4 and Gen5. The thickness (height wise) wear the light attaches is 1mm thicker on Gen5's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXDYtQAzcG8

Last edited:
    Top Bottom