• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I was cleaning my guns the other night after having fun at the range the day before. I'm fairly meticulous when it comes to taking care of my firearms so it takes a while between brushing, cleaning patches and inspections. After cleaning the barrel of my Glock 22 I looked it over real good. When I held it up to the light, looking through the breech, I noticed a small defect just beyond the chamber area. At first I though I just missed some build-up. I cleaned it again taking more time this time. Still there. I cleaned it one more time, slowly and thoroughly. Still there.

It looks like some type of fouling. Like I said, it appears just beyond the chamber area around the beginning of the rifling I've never noticed it before and I always clean the day after shooting, once I waited for 4 days but don't tell the wife. Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what it could be? It's really hard to see just by looking through the barrel and I don't have an borescope.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Not likely to be damaged. Just a little fouling that hasn't come out yet.

I'm more OCD about cleaning than you and use a magnifying lens to look a couple of inches into each end of barrels and it usually takes a fair amount of effort to get 100% of the fouling out.

Every time I read about someone making a couple of passes with a bore snake and their barrel is spotless, I know they haven't taken a really close look at it with good lighting.

I'm not making a case that a barrel needs to be spotless or even cleaned often, just offering up my observations over many decades with a variety of firearms.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    May be copper fouling, which can be much more stubborn to remove.
    Try a good cleaning with a "Copper Killer" type solvent.

I use Montana X-treme Copper Killer 50 BMG special formula "Super Strength Copper remover.
    It's made by western Powders.

Read the directions carefully.
    CONTAINS glycol ether, ammonia oil, and proprietary hazardous materials
    Use ONLY in well ventilated area. Inhalation can cause headaches and dizziness.
    Avoid contact with skin, eyes,

This is some seriously nasty stuff, but it works.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Chore Boy will do it..

Get yourself some 99.9% Copper Chore Boy cleaning pads = I think amazon has them=Wrap an old cleaning brush with the copper pad, and some solvent.

This will remove ANYTHING other than Pitts in the barrel..Works GREAT..Bill.

PS: Yep, just checked--Amazon does have them..Best price I saw was 10 pads for $9.90..

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Get yourself some 99.9% Copper Chore Boy cleaning pads = I think amazon has them=Wrap an old cleaning brush with the copper pad, and some solvent.....

This is my method for stubborn fouling. The Copper Chore Boy works great. I use it with Kroil instead of solvent to get the longest life from the brush.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I found Chore Boy Copper pads at Rural King in Greenwood a few months back, less than $5.00 I believe. Great for lead build up removal also.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    May be copper fouling, which can be much more stubborn to remove.
    Try a good cleaning with a "Copper Killer" type solvent.

I use Montana X-treme Copper Killer 50 BMG special formula "Super Strength Copper remover.
    It's made by western Powders.

Read the directions carefully.
    CONTAINS glycol ether, ammonia oil, and proprietary hazardous materials
    Use ONLY in well ventilated area. Inhalation can cause headaches and dizziness.
    Avoid contact with skin, eyes,

This is some seriously nasty stuff, but it works.

This sounds like the Sweets 7.62 that I use. The ammonia attacks the copper. It takes time, though. You have to let it sit so it dissolves the copper, but can't let it go past 10 minutes. I just keep using it until I don't get any blue on a clean patch. Best not to use a brass jag, else you'll get a false positive on the patches when you wipe it out.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was cleaning ... the barrel of my Glock 22

?????

:D

A little copper fouling won't hurt nuttin'.
    Barrels will erode in the throat, no matter how much you clean 'em.

only reason I would clean a glock barrel is if shooting lead and I was seeing build up.

life's too short.... unless you enjoy that kind of useless tediousness, then go for it.

-rvb

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    ?????

only reason I would clean a glock barrel is if shooting lead and I was seeing build up.

life's too short.... unless you enjoy that kind of useless tediousness, then go for it.

-rvb

Agree. I'm of the You-Clean-Glocks? school.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I see the Copper Chore Boy on Amazon but how would I get them into the barrel? Would they scratch the inside?

Get yourself some 99.9% Copper Chore Boy cleaning pads = I think amazon has them=Wrap an old cleaning brush with the copper pad, and some solvent....

Copper is softer than steel so it will not hurt the barrel....https://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Pad-2ct/dp/B006K3XS5A

Tear or cut a small piece off and wrap it around a barrel brush.

IMG_0936 (Medium).JPG

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    ?????

-rvb

For the most part, I use guns that don't care if I let them get dirty. But I do like cleaning my AR. It's nice just to sit down and set things right again. Not because they have to be, but because it can be relaxing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Last edited:

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    ?????

-rvb
    Call me crazy but I enjoy cleaning them! Almost relaxing even.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Call me crazy but I enjoy cleaning them! Almost relaxing even.

HTTPS9tZWRpYS50ZW5vci5jby9pbWFnZXMvZGI3NjkyZmZhYWVmOGFhY2U4YThmYTZlMzUzNDdiMWMvcmF3.gif

Top Bottom