• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A bit silly but I can't make up my mind so I figured I'd see what others think. I've been putting a 300BLK pistol together for the past month and it's getting close to being finished. I have a complete (but never assembled) lower in the safe and a stripped lower on the way. Initially I had planned to finish everything but the scope in FDE but I'm now having second thoughts, mainly because I don't plan to paint or coat the scope (Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28). Now I'm considering leaving the lower black to provide some contrast other places as well. The ARMS #40L rear sight would probably need to be disassembled to be coated properly and while getting it apart wouldn't be bad, getting it back together might be.

I'll be using a SB Tactical PDW in FDE and also have a FDE Magpul grip and trigger guard for the lower whether I have it coated or not. So.... I can't decide. I'll throw a poll up if I can figure out how.

Here's the complete upper sitting on my SBR lower and I'l holding the SB PDW up for reference.
    oDQUYvJh.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Just adding the FDE grip and leaving the lower black sounds good to me. Switch grips and let's have a look.:)

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I think it would make for some good contrast to paint the lower FDE to match but leave the small parts and grip black. Maybe, if you any laying around, change out the rail sections on the handguard to black ones as well to break the muzzle end up a bit.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I think you are committed to the FDE now. Do the lower as well, get your contrast from the pistol grip, the pins, rail sections and scope. I had my Colt in my avatar cerakoted before I ever saw it. They initially put a FDE pistol grip and stock on it, then sent me a pic. It was to much.

Upper needs to match the lower.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The avatar gun has aged with wear. The Cerakoat won't chip, but you can burn it. Check the color difference in the barrel and the gas block.

38493871-DD4E-4897-8543-21D5D5BA7CCC_zpsnuickawt.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Look at it as a girlfriend-
    Are you going to make her all pretty then put her in a glass case as a trophy?
    Or will you be enjoying life and ****ing the hell out of her?

What you can't do is make her all pretty AND **** the hell out of her because..... she'll get dirty, her makeup will run and she'll look like ****.

Your Gun-
    Are you going to make it all pretty then put it in a glass case as a showgun?
    Or will you be running drills and shooting the hell out of it?

What you can't do is make it all pretty AND shoot the hell out of it because..... it'll get dirty, it's coating will rub/scratch and it'll look like ****.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Almost all of my guns are tools and every AR15 I have most certainly is. I enjoy building them and making them pretty and while I don't intentionally beat on them I don't go out of my way to protect them either. This one won't get run too hard, I'm too cheap to buy that much ammo lol. I'm hoping it'll be minute of man/coyote at 100yds and do so very quietly.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Look at it as a girlfriend-
    Are you going to make her all pretty then put her in a glass case as a trophy?
    Or will you be enjoying life and ****ing the hell out of her?

What you can't do is make her all pretty AND **** the hell out of her because..... she'll get dirty, her makeup will run and she'll look like ****.

Your Gun-
    Are you going to make it all pretty then put it in a glass case as a showgun?
    Or will you be running drills and shooting the hell out of it?

What you can't do is make it all pretty AND shoot the hell out of it because..... it'll get dirty, it's coating will rub/scratch and it'll look like ****.
    I'd like to nominate this for post of the year! :lmfao:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I like the contrast if you're leaving the scope black. I also feel like mismatched builds have a certain "operator" function over aesthetic feel.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would coat the lower. Leave all small parts of lower black. Black magazines, stock, sling, and can. Should look nice.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Went ahead and put the lower together. I think I'll leave it like this and see how it shoots, I'll make a decision on coating it once the newness has worn off. :) Thanks for the opinions!

XaqulzNh.jpg

GjNXYJCh.jpg

2XIfNVnh.jpg

6aFfpd4h.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I keep looking at this and wondering if I should get that brace or keep with the KAK setup I've already paid for... Waiting for my receivers to get cerakoted is turning out to be expensive.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Hmmm...I prefer solid colors with black accents or trim...I would probably get the lower Cerekoted but leave all the plastic black.

Looks good so far though!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    She's a nose heavy pig for sure but it's the suppressor, the forend is pretty light.
    Are you running a .30 rifle can on it?
    I've stayed away from .300 for several reasons. Shooting subs, it's ballistically .45acp, and I have SBRs for that, and I don't want to have to buy another caliber. I'm curious how it works out for you, and how it shoots. I've considered doing a .300, I just can't convince myself I need it. :D

Top Bottom