• Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    View attachment 65051

[video=youtube_share;4ZpMWbtkNoY]https://youtu.be/4ZpMWbtkNoY[/video]

Picked this gun up last week and all I have to say is WHOA! Gorgeous to look at. Perfect Performance Center action work. Wouldn't want to be on the other end of this!

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    Well all I have to say is WHOA too! Cool slomo vid. Looks like it’s got a bit of a kick to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    That is an insane amount of awesomeness, Johnny Cash himself would be turned on by that ring o' fire! Someone on here (a Noblesville guy IIRC) has the 627 version of this, which would be more to the liking of my pencil-wrists, but dang if this isn't a gorgeous handheld earthquake. Really cool, I like it a lot!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ha, I have almost the same gun. A Lew Horton 629-4 made in 1999 with a letter from Lew. I haven't shot it yet but that video makes me want to really bad. :ingo:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's pretty neat.
    Wish I could get like video of my .454Casull Raging Bull.
    It causes the grass in front of your feet to wave when you pull the trigger.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    This is a pic of my Smith Backpacker .44 Mag.
    Not a PC gun, I did call Smith, they only made 1453 of them. Not a very clear pic of the revolver, but one hell of a fire ball coming out of the 2.5 in. barrel.

attachment.php

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ I was looking all over the Indy 1500 for that model too but no luck. I hate having to hike through Alaska with a limited edition collectable gun but eh.

I did find a Ruger Alaskan 454 @ the show but damn that thing is a chunky monkey. I just did not like the look at all and the S&W 629 44 Mag is SO sexy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Excuse my newbie inexperience, but how does the Judge (410/Colt Long) compare?
    It is the biggest beast I ever shot: took it to the range and immediately came home and ordered bigger grips for it.
    It should be illegal to sell with the original grips: shame on Taurus, and I do not have a weak grip. :laugh:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Excuse my newbie inexperience, but how does the Judge (410/Colt Long) compare?
    It is the biggest beast I ever shot: took it to the range and immediately came home and ordered bigger grips for it.
    It should be illegal to sell with the original grips: shame on Taurus, and I do not have a weak grip. :laugh:

doddg,
    Seriously, think of it like this.
    A .22lr equals a marble.
    A .44magnum equals a 16lb bowling ball.

Drop each on your foot and report back...

Go ahead, we'll wait...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg,
    Seriously, think of it like this.
    A .22lr equals a marble.
    A .44magnum equals a 16lb bowling ball.

Drop each on your foot and report back...

Go ahead, we'll wait...

1. Clever response and I enjoyed it :laugh: but not responsive to my question: "...but how does the Judge (410/Colt Long) compare?..." :dunno:

2. If my question is too moronic to deserve a response, I'll move on and let it go: I assume the 410 gauge is a lower level in ripping your hand apart than the 44 magnum based on the "fireball" visual alone, just wanted feedback/clarification/verification from someone who might have shot both. :coffee:
    3. I still love the marble and bowling ball analogy! :lmfao:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    doddg - The difference is two fold. A 410/45LC has that push of a recoil impulse. 357/41/44/500 magnum have IMHO a much more abrupt recoil. Thud versus wack...Judge has a big heavy frame that absorbs a lot of that recoil.

44 magnum loads can vary greatly as do recoil characteristics of the platform and the individual. Hard to give a straight answer beyond; considerably more recoil.

Let's put Mgderf analogy in different terms. Imagine me throwing a marble into your palm - that's a 22. Now; imagine Aroldis Chapman throwing a baseball into your gloved hand - that's a 44 magnum. The glove you chose relates to the characteristics of the firearm. Take the glove off and catch an Aroldis Chapman fastball - that's SW 500 Magnum...trust me. I've bare handed fast baseballs and 500 magnums. Neither I chose to repeat (until I find a 4" compensated 500 SW at a great price).

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    doddg,
    O.K. how about a different comparison.

Chamber pressure for a .410 tops out about 14,000psi
    .45Colt about the same
    .44magnum can run as high as 36,000 psi.

So, on average, the .44mag is roughly twice the chamber pressure.
    I know chamber pressure does not directly correlate to felt recoil, but it does show the difference in potential power.

.44magnums can be loaded down to be very mild shooting, but you better not try to shoot a .45Colt loaded to those pressures.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    That fireball was a 230gr. JHP round.
    I will have to take and post a pic my Backpacker.
    Cool revolver.
    I have mentioned in another thread that Smith & Wesson runs through me, growing up that is all my Dad would buy.
    He liked the big N frames as we did re-load, and those big N frames could handle hotter loads than Colt's of the day.
    Even back then (late 70's early 80's) Colt revolvers had a reputation of getting out of time easily.

Top Bottom