• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have considered lately getting a Bersa Thunder or a Beretta Cheetah 84 .380.
    It was recommended that I just get a small 9mm instead.

In researching the Nano keeps coming up.
    Early on (last summer) I tried out many 9mm and ended up with the Shield 9mm.
    I need a smaller carry much of the time however and use my Smith M/P .380 or a .32 Beretta or just use my J frames snubbies.

Any input about staying away from the Nano: I can't find too many negatives about it?
    I want the smaller than my Shield 9mm, which I love, but it is on the edge of being too big (sold my Shield .45 b/c even though it was only slightly larger than the Shield 9mm, I had to admit I was not going to carry it, therefore needed to go.

$300+/- is what I'm seeing them for. Looking at a shop today (on vacation), and have a call into someone, waiting.
    There is a Glock (26 or 27?), not sure of the number that is compared with the Nano along with the small Ruger (had that one), but it sells for more.

Feel free to throw your input at me. :laugh:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    All the cool kids are getting a Sig P365...Looks like a few guys are getting them for $500.

Double (more or less) your price range and look at the Sig P938 (SA only)...all metal and I think they have SS models. Very similar to your long kept Colt Mustang but in 9mm. The 938 is my go to CCW when I am in and out of non-carry places during the day. Its perfect in dress pant pockets with a Sticky Holster.

Picture credit to: https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/pocket-nines-a-visual-comparison.51382/

SxQYkWF.jpg

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I found the nano to be top heavy, it always felt like it wanted to lean to the side when held. of all the sub compact single stack 9's, id have to say its my least favorite

(I don't own one, just my observations from holding them in the shop)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had one. Key word being HAD. Sits too high in the hand, horrible trigger, mags did not easily seat.
    Took it on one range trip, fired one box of ammo through it, then sold it.
    Bought it from Palmetto State Armory, when they were selling them cheap.
    $75 dollar rebate on it.

Yes, I pulled a "Gary" and sold it quick, although I did not deem it necessary to get on here and write a dissertation about it.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just looked at one for a couple minutes and came to the same conclusions, immediately dropping it from consideration.

That right there is the advantage to handling before buying.
    Palmetto had them for $299, $17 to ship and a $15 dollar transfer fee.
    Total=$331 subtract $75 for the rebate that comes in the form of a pre paid Visa, $256 final price.

I just went for the price, after watching some good reviews on it, only one review mentioned that it sat high in the hand.
    I did not fully understand that until I got mine.
    And like someone else stated they are top heavy, a fully loaded mag helps that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. The one at Hoosier Armory was already sold: 3 mags, night sights and some other cool thing: asking $320, was going to offer $300.
    2. Never got an answer to the guy who had one for sale for $300.
    3. I was up near ZR Tactical (where I have gotten 1911 work done and bought a SGS 1911-22 (with the $500 upgrades) and they had a Nano like-new (trade in from a guy who shot it once and hated it). I bought it for $280, with box and the 6 and 8 round mag.
    4. They had a Kimber 1911-22 all updated with mods (I regret not buying one months ago for $500, but I wasn't there yet).
    5. I was not willing to pay the $625 for this one today since I would have had to have sold my RIA and GSG 1911-22s to pay for it (thinking logically about how many 1911-22s does a person need:dunno:); I could have made a mistake and should have.
    6. Well, instead of buying the Beretta Cheetah 84 .380 I bought a small 9mm as advised.
    7. I will probably sell my Smith M/P .380 to pay for it.
    8. I'll take the Nano to the range and find out if I will "love it or list it."

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All the cool kids are getting a Sig P365...Looks like a few guys are getting them for $500.

Double (more or less) your price range and look at the Sig P938 (SA only)...all metal and I think they have SS models. Very similar to your long kept Colt Mustang but in 9mm. The 938 is my go to CCW when I am in and out of non-carry places during the day. Its perfect in dress pant pockets with a Sticky Holster.

Picture credit to: https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/pocket-nines-a-visual-comparison.51382/

SxQYkWF.jpg

1. Sig P365 or P938: I'll have to see if the range has them to rent and find out if I can't live w/o one.
    2. If they are double the price they would have to be something special (stainless steel and wood like the Beretta 84 did it for me) for me to give up my Shield 9mm with $280 in it and my Nano I just got today for $280.
    3. Can't wait to find out if the Nano is as good or as bad as others have said and as I have read.
    4. I learned from my own frantic experience with subcompact and compact 9mm early on that it's not a one-gun fits-all.
    5. I was as surprised as anyone that the Smith Shield 9mm captured my preference: I had no dog in the fight and at first I said: too big, since I liked the smaller ones better.
    6. Who knows what I'll own in another year. :dunno:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Doddg- I don't mean to speak out of turn here. But, you have a self admitted problem with buying Stainless Steel/ nickel plated guns...especially. 22s.
    I/we have probably all noticed you regularly buy/sell based on how you feel about a gun after putting some rounds down range. That is all well and good.
    But I have also noticed you seem to buy a lot from Hoosier Armory. Now I have never been there and can't say anything bad about them. However, is it possible they have ratcheted up the inventory on .22s and value priced SS handguns, knowing you will see them, fondle them and be drawn to them for those reasons?
    I'm just curious if you are really drawn to that many handguns of various brands and styles or if you are just caving to the weakness.
    Now, I am not trying to be a jerk but dang man even junkies don't buy as much as you. Lol

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I wouldn't recommend a Nano to my worst enemy. I am a lifelong Beretta fan so when the Nano first came out I bought one. I got so many failures to extract I sent it back to Beretta. They fixed it and sent it back. More failures to extract, send it back again, still failures to extract. I don't know where you were researching, the internet is full of stories just like mine.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg- I don't mean to speak out of turn here. But, you have a self admitted problem with buying Stainless Steel/ nickel plated guns...especially. 22s.
    I/we have probably all noticed you regularly buy/sell based on how you feel about a gun after putting some rounds down range. That is all well and good.
    But I have also noticed you seem to buy a lot from Hoosier Armory. Now I have never been there and can't say anything bad about them. However, is it possible they have ratcheted up the inventory on .22s and value priced SS handguns, knowing you will see them, fondle them and be drawn to them for those reasons?
    I'm just curious if you are really drawn to that many handguns of various brands and styles or if you are just caving to the weakness.
    Now, I am not trying to be a jerk but dang man even junkies don't buy as much as you. Lol

1. I find much humor and enjoyment in your comments and observations, especially about Hoosier Armory. :thumbsup:
    2. I bought a new Ruger GP100 .22LR (SS) ($600), a Sig Sauer RS 290 (SS) ($250ish) (I think that's what it was) and the Ruger RS 1911 (SS) ($600) from Rick at Hoosier Armory.
    3. I have bought from Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports a Charter Arms 38 special ($260) SS, a Charter Arms 9mm revolver SS ($280), a Taurus 709 Slim, and a Henry lever-action 22LR rifle, so I've actually bought more from Marksman.
    4. But, point made, and you are not "out of turn." I have invited comments, criticisms and recommendations, and my self-deprecating style and humor leaves me open to "reality-checks," and I love it: this is for fun for me, not a serious thing. I can take fun being poked at me: I'm a big boy who lives in the real world around people who all know more than I will ever know: TEENS!!! :laugh:
    5. In my car club, I drove guys crazy b/c they were so serious about their cars, yet I drove mine through the winter: sacrilege to them. :rockwoot:But, I was having fun!
    6. If I had a warehouse, I could fill it with antique cars. When I was collecting comics and Star Trek memorabilia I had dozens of boxes in a room (sold my Spiderman comics for $1400). I'm in fact setting up a boothe at a Comic show April 29th to get rid of some of the rest of my collection, and hopefully to to the Star Trek Convention at Thanksgiving to liquidate what is left over when I liquidated nearly all the comics 20-25 yrs. ago.
    7. Excess: yes.
    8. I liquidated 6 of my antique cars. I liquidated all my guns in 1990 (except 2). I will liquidate all my comics and Science Fiction stuff. And, there will be a day I will liquidate nearly all that I'm acquiring now. I don't intend to die with my Toys in a closet.
    9. I will find another pursuit, and go after it 110%: it is what I do.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't recommend a Nano to my worst enemy. I am a lifelong Beretta fan so when the Nano first came out I bought one. I got so many failures to extract I sent it back to Beretta. They fixed it and sent it back. More failures to extract, send it back again, still failures to extract. I don't know where you were researching, the internet is full of stories just like mine.

1. I wish I'd known that 10 hours ago. :wallbash:
    2. No, my research did not bring up consistent negatives: most were positive.
    3. There were a few who had issues as you described, but most spoke positively.
    4. Now I really can't wait to get to the range with it to see if I got one that works or not.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    1. I wish I'd known that 10 hours ago. :wallbash:
    2. No, my research did not bring up consistent negatives: most were positive.
    3. There were a few who had issues as you described, but most spoke positively.
    4. Now I really can't wait to get to the range with it to see if I got one that works or not.

I have 2 Beretta Nanos and have never had an issue with either one. I practice with them regularly and I shoot them as well as a full size Glock. Everyone has different preferences and what works for some doesn't work for others. Also, like most firearms they had issues when they first came out and those issues have been mostly worked out by now.

Last edited:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Let us know how the nano works out for you. You may like it and you may hate it. I purchased a Nano, SIG P290RS and an XDS. I tried to like the SIG but the one I got was garbage and I ended up gettting rid of it with full disclosure. I am sure there are many that run great. I still have the XDS but the Nano worked best for me so I bought a spare and I carry them regularly.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Real handgun calibers start at 9mm then go up from there. :rolleyes:

...after bypassing the 40 S&W and 10mm of course.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have 2 Beretta Nanos and have never had an issue with either one. I practice with them regularly and I shoot them as well as a full size Glock. Everyone has different preferences and what works for some doesn't work for others. Also, like most firearms they had issues when they first came out and those issues have been mostly worked out by now.

1. Encouraging. :)

Let us know how the nano works out for you. You may like it and you may hate it. I purchased a Nano, SIG P290RS and an XDS. I tried to like the SIG but the one I got was garbage and I ended up gettting rid of it with full disclosure. I am sure there are many that run great. I still have the XDS but the Nano worked best for me so I bought a spare and I carry them regularly.

2. you know I will.
    3. My first day of vacation. I went to a Men's Breakfast at 6 am. Got glasses: 9 - 11am. Went to Hoosier Armory, then ZR Tactical (bought Nano). Then Sam's club. Got home and arranged to sell my Taurus PT22 tomorrow at 9 am. Went to my son's house for dinner and helped fix this and that getting house ready to sell. Got home at 8:30. Watching WW2 documentaries. Full day.
    4. All that to say: didn't make it to the range to try out the new toy, we'll see what the morrow may bring.
    5. Despite my addictions and excesses, I'm smart enough to give my wife the priority on my/our vacation, or I might not live to buy another gun, shoot another gun or read about guns. :dunno: I have assured my wife through the decades that she is my favorite addiction. There was a time all I did was work (I'd have 5 shifts in by Tuesday and the rest of the week be overtime: no room for toys then, but that was a lifetime ago. :laugh:

Top Bottom