• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I'm early 20s so I haven't purchased many guns myself. First one was a Smith 586. Now I'll be honest I got a 586 because it seemed like the closest to a Python without crippling the bank account. I've gotten on some kicks where I'm researching other things like 1911s (full size or commander), 38s like the new Cobra, others like the Sig 365, or Glock 42, but I always come back to the Python. I guess I'm the type that wants what I can't have (cost effectively). So the next gun could be a more practical carry gun like the other models I mentioned or I could go straight for what I truly want. I've looked at lawmen and troopers since they are of Python heritage, but I'd just be buying those to get a step closer to the real thing. So maybe I just need to man up, go to the bank, and find a Python that I can cherish forever. What do you all think? Intermediate guns working up to a Python or just go for it? Python owners? Any regrets in buying yours (especially if you did recently and not back in the day)?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If it's what you want, then buy it.
    Wasting money on substitutes won't cut it.

IMHO Pythons are over rated.

Personally, a 6" 686 would satisfy me.

Hunting, rain and snow.......a blued Python kinda sucked.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    If you can pay cash then go for it but don’t go in debt for it. The question is, do you want a Python because YOU like them or is it because everybody else says they’re cool. Ever shot one? Shooting it, would you feel the difference in a Python versus a Lawman or Teooper? Or is it a status symbol to be a Python owner?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have always been happy with my Smith's. My brother had a Python and yeah, it was nice. But to me, not worth the extra coin over a S&W. My 586's have and probably always will out shoot me.

Plus, once I do a little action work on my Smiths, they run just fine.

But the Python does have that aura around it. And yes, you will probably be able to get your money out of it if/when you sell it. But I say this every time people talk about how valuable something is. That is today. We really don't know what 10-15 years down the road is going to do to the value of things. Remember, we are entering a time when an entire generation is exiting the consumptive years and the upcoming generation that will have money to spend does not appear to be much interested in collecting things.

I am anticipating a decline in values of muscle cars, tools, anything that sits on a shelf and looks pretty,and yes, certain firearms. Hopefully we will always have people into the shooting sports but I suspect they will be wearing out Glocks and other utilitarian guns that allow them to do what they want with them which would be use them.

Just my :twocents: Take it FWIW. And since I don't charge anything, well, then...:)

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    If you can pay cash then go for it but don’t go in debt for it. The question is, do you want a Python because YOU like them or is it because everybody else says they’re cool. Ever shot one? Shooting it, would you feel the difference in a Python versus a Lawman or Teooper? Or is it a status symbol to be a Python owner?

Hmmm, I definitely like them myself, I don't have one so I guess most of it is reading and reviews. i assume I've over romanticized the Python to some extent in my mind. Definitely a bit of status symbol, not that I publicly brag about my firearm ownership, but to own a Python, I don't think there's a substitute...

good questions, thanks! I'll keep thinking about those...

and no, I won't use debt for it!

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Ridden in John Deer, shot Colt; and to this day still don't understand the mystical allure of either.

But hey if you feel it's a must have and can be done without sacrificing what you really need, go for it.

Something I didn't understand 4 plus decades ago is the regret of never having or doing is really no more or less painful than the regret of relinquishing what you had or did. Guess I'm saying if you buy something you really think you want now and then sell for other reasons while still desiring it; you may as well have just never bought it.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Have you ever shot a python?
    Back in the wheelgun days I shot a s&w mod19 ...then I bought a python, totally different for me. Python had a loooong hammer fall compared to the mod19.
    Still have the python, but don't shoot it...
    If you've never shot one and are close to Shelbyville you can try mine.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You can get all the accuracy of the Python from it's ancestor, the Colt Officers Model for much less money. Own both and I figure it's the design of the gun that keeps them selling high, it has a good look.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Picked up a used Python about 3 years ago for $2000 , smoothest revolver I have ever shot or handled. In full lock up it's a bankvault cylinder literally will not move (the new Colt cobras lock up just as tight in my experience).

I have the 6 inch blued model and it's a gorgeous pistol, I really would like to get a "combat Python" which is the snub nosed version for carry just for kicks and giggles but as others have said they are a bit salty right now

wBfkOnLh.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having owned a few snake guns I am still fond of the equivalent offerings from S&W from the same era. The actions were just better. Accuracy is far better than most shooters.
    Loved the snake guns but the Smith was just a better gun. JMHO of course. Pick your poison.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Got over my lusting after a Python when I bought my first pre lock no dash Smith. You can buy 2-3 pristine in the box Smiths for one average Python plus the Smiths are ever increasing in value too. Seemed like a no brained to me.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Having owned a few snake guns I am still fond of the equivalent offerings from S&W from the same era. The actions were just better. Accuracy is far better than most shooters.
    Loved the snake guns but the Smith was just a better gun. JMHO of course. Pick your poison.

I still own a 4”python and an old Trooper 357, but totally agree with CM. Years ago before all the hype when pythons and model 19 and 66 were on every gun show table and priced 400-600. I always gravitated towards the Smith. Both are fine revolvers I personally prefer S&W only because I have had less issues with them. I believe with the right load in either revolver will shoot better than I can.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Buy a Python for visual pleasure.

Keep the 586 and shoot the heck out it - it'll stay in time!

Seriously though. The Python's are mighty expensive for a range or carry gun (at least to my checkbook). Buy it and keep it in the safe.

Top Bottom