• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have a chance to get in right on mis-matched M17 Smith & Wesson. Frame says 18-7 but 6" tube and box marked M17.

Have a mismatched Colt (Officer) and the mis-marked adds considerable value, but Colt collectors are different animal than Smith collectors.

Hypothetically, and speculatively, what impact do you think this mis-marking may have on the valuation? I know this may be an Indiana Jones question (bury a penny in the desert and in 1,000 years it is priceless).

Wild guesses are encouraged.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    My dad has a 4” model 29 that is mismarked as a model 57. I asked this question a few years ago and I got a lot of guys saying that it wasn’t possible. I would think that it might be a niche market similar to mismarked coins

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry, I thought this was about someone confusing Will Smith with LL Cool J.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Have a chance to get in right on mis-matched M17 Smith & Wesson. Frame says 18-7 but 6" tube and box marked M17.

Have a mismatched Colt (Officer) and the mis-marked adds considerable value, but Colt collectors are different animal than Smith collectors.

Hypothetically, and speculatively, what impact do you think this mis-marking may have on the valuation? I know this may be an Indiana Jones question (bury a penny in the desert and in 1,000 years it is priceless).

Wild guesses are encouraged.

Do they/you know how it was shipped from the factory?

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Maybe it's just a "parts gun"? A mish/mash of returns or out of spec stuff that found new life over lunch hour?
    Would there be value in that?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    First question I would ask is, does the serial numbers on the boxes match the serial numbers on the guns?
    If they don't, then that's your problem. If they do then someone at the factory screwed up.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here is my understanding from the guys on the S&W forum.....Interesting but doesn't add value...Yet....

Kirk and I both have a "transitional one liner K 22"....Basically a K 22 made about 1946-47 that has a mix of pre war and post war parts and features...IIRC Kirk's has the cut out for a lanyard ring (Victory model frame from war put together as a K 22) and mine does not...It was a couple of years ago but I believe Kirk's gun and mine are very close serial number wise...I picked up a 1950 M&P with an M stamp signifying it went back to S&W for a re blue and repair..Even though a 1950 era gun it also has (like Kirk's 1947/48 one liner) a lanyard ring cut out in the frame....

The point of all of this being is S&W will grab up a frame, grab whatever parts are on hand, make the gun, then sell the gun....Very common with S&W...

Another example...Mammynun has a 686-5....At 686-4 the square butt frame was eliminated...He was going to order some nice grips for it and he believed it was a square butt...I told him he was mistaken...He said he knows I know revolvers but it sure looks square to him...I literally read to him from the SCSW book...

"Dude...It's a round butt...They changed in 1996 and your gun is 1997...Bring it by and I'll prove it to you..."

He did...And I was wrong...Square butt......

The one sure thing about S&W revolvers???? There is no sure thing....

I am afraid if Kirk buys this he will have more S&W K 22's than me...And that hurts...Bad....

I got one of these...A 17-8 with a pinto cylinder (stainless steel)..."But Indiucky!!! The 17-8's had an aluminum cylinder!!!!"
    rimg.php

True...But if you send it back to S&W for timing issues (or insinuate that it has timing issues because you sooooo want that SS/Pinto cylinder) this is what they will ship back to you...I kept the factory paper work showing they did the change....

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe it's just a "parts gun"? A mish/mash of returns or out of spec stuff that found new life over lunch hour?
    Would there be value in that?

Seems plausible. I have the 18th K-22 off the line made in August of 1946 with pre-war parts (mushroom head, etc.).

"I need 459 Model 17s for Bass Pro pronto!"

"Boss, I have 458 M17 frames but I have oddles of M18 stamped frames."

"Just use a M18 frame for number 459, we can't let Bass Pro down!"

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The point of all of this being is S&W will grab up a frame, grab whatever parts are on hand, make the gun, then sell the gun....Very common with S&W...

The one sure thing about S&W revolvers???? There is no sure thing....

Truer words have not been spoken..err..typed. Same thing with 3rd gen semi autos. A fair number of oddities shipped.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Seems plausible. I have the 18th K-22 off the line made in August of 1946 with pre-war parts (mushroom head, etc.)."

That's the one...

Mine's early 1947, does not have the mushroom head, does have the pre war hammer and frame but does not have the lanyard cut out....One day we'll get those two together with some Eley ammo and the Andrew Sisters playing in the background...:)

Did you letter it from Roy????

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's the one...

Mine's early 1947, does not have the mushroom head, does have the pre war hammer and frame but does not have the lanyard cut out....One day we'll get those two together with some Eley ammo and the Andrew Sisters playing in the background...:)

Did you letter it from Roy????

No response as of yet. I'll send you copy when I get.

Top Bottom