Purchased my first "1911" (22LR) last night!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Last night I ordered a GSG 1911-22. Got the email today that it has shipped UPS 2-Day Air. I am stoked! Hopefully, by Thursday I'll have it in hand. :rockwoot: I know some of you will call me a blasphemer (*cough* CM *cough*), but I've been wanting one to plink with for a little while, and Classic Firearms had a decent deal. Plus, it was in stock, which has been hard to come by at any LGS or even online. I realize it's not a "real" 1911, hence the quotations in the title. Nevertheless, I'm stoked. It is supposed to be the same dimensions and nearly the same weight of a standard 1911. We shall see. Can't wait to get it to a range!! For those cursing my name, also note the word "first" in the title. I will have a 1911 in .45 someday. I just need to decide on which one, but I promise it'll be something JMB would approve of!

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Honestly, I think I've seen in another thread that you have 1911s in .22. Just kidding around as you are one of the more vocal proponents for the 1911s you prefer.

How does the GSG measure up to a full sized 1911?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Honestly, I think I've seen in another thread that you have 1911s in .22. Just kidding around as you are one of the more vocal proponents for the 1911s you prefer.

How does the GSG measure up to a full sized 1911?

As to the actual size it is spot on. As to function mine are sometimes a bit ammo picky.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have enjoyed my 1911-22s as well.
    I've had a Sig Sauer 1911-22 with the ZR Tactical upgrade package,
    the GSG 1911- 22 with $500 in upgrades from ZRT,
    and the Rock Island Armory 1911-22.
    I had intended to buy the Colt (Walther) 1911-22, but I'll be content with the two I've got since the GSG with the upgrades address all "weaknesses." (in my untutored mind, at least)

I did have a Kimber 1911-22 in my hand at ZR Tactical (in Noblesville) and it had many many upgrades done to it,
    and I wanted it, but it was $650 and I had already spent my allotment of money on 22LRs. :dunno:

B/C of reliability, I wanted to buy the Browning 1911-22, but the 85% size and lightweight discouraged me, although I wouldn't mind having one if their price was more in line with the other 22LR offerings ($300+/-). I've seen them used for $500 (Hoosier Armory, and they sell new for the same, but this one had extra mags when I asked why the price for used), another there now for $425, and at ZR Tactical, where I went to buy one that had been upgraded was $450 or $475, but b/c of size and light weight: I bought the GSG 1911-22 b/c of the $500+ in upgrades that I'm so proud to have and ended my 1911-22 quest, except I had to buy the all metal heavy RIA b/c it was in a deal with a SW A-1 that was utterly magnificient.
    I love trading or multiple guns in a buy for ultimate value.

Last edited:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    As to the actual size it is spot on. As to function mine are sometimes a bit ammo picky.

I hear they like hotter loads. Is there a certain type of ammo that you'd recommend?

I have enjoyed my 1911-22s as well.
    I've had a Sig Sauer 1911-22 with the ZR Tactical upgrade package,
    the SGS 1911- 22 with $500 in upgrades from ZRT,
    and the Rock Island Armory 1911-22.
    I had intended to buy the Colt (Walther) 1911-22, but I'll be content with the two I've got.

I did have a Kimber 1911-22 in my hand at ZR Tactical (in Noblesville) and it had many many upgrades done to it,
    and I wanted it, but it was $650 and I had already spent my allotment of money on 22LRs. :dunno:

B/C of reliability, I wanted to buy the Browning 1911-22, but the 85% size and lightweight discouraged me, although I wouldn't mind having one if their price was more in line with the other 22LR offerings.

Yeah. $260 (after shipping and FFL fees) is A LOT different from the $500-600 for a Browning! The size factor really drew me to the GSG. I'm not really into bells and whistles, so, it'll stay stock except maybe the MSH if I doesn't feel good. I've seen some that have flat ones and some that have rounded ones. We'll see what it feels like. I'm really looking forward to trying it out this weekend. I may need to stock up on some more .22...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anything past just junk seems to run mine OK. I prefer CCI's
    The threaded barrel piece runs suppressed with subsonic just fine. The other one is picky. I have not really tried to tune on it at all.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    They have that little kit mod, where you can replace the allen screw that holds the barrel tight, that way you dont have to worry about that tiny allen wrench you will lose on day two. And it makes disassembly so much nicer. I cant remember the name of the places that sell it, theirs a few.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They have that little kit mod, where you can replace the allen screw that holds the barrel tight, that way you dont have to worry about that tiny allen wrench you will lose on day two. And it makes disassembly so much nicer. I cant remember the name of the places that sell it, theirs a few.

1. ZR Tactical in Noblesville has been wonderful to me with upgrades in a Sig and a GSG 1911-22s.
    2. You can call them (317.721.9787) or look them up online: https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/
    3. Address: 15223 Herriman Blvd. Suite 4, Noblesville/46060
    4. I went in once with my Sig that I'd bought unfired from a member here, who had put upgrades from CW Accessories that did not fit (gun fired but could not be field stripped for cleaning), and they put in one of their kits on the spot (had to cut out the guide rod from CW Accessories that was machined wrongly) and I was in and out in less than 20+/- minutes all for $100, and I was glad to pay it, even being a cheap-arse. To get that done locally with a shop that came highly recommended by someone here (thanks again whoever you are :thumbsup: )
    5. Anytime I will want to update/upgrade a gun: they will be my default go-to.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I just learned about this not long ago. Never had issue with take down as I know what is needed when I do it. Spares. Keep the little allens and tools that come in the upgrades you buy. Put them in your range bag. It works for me and I have spares I can give to people when needed.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just learned about this not long ago. Never had issue with take down as I know what is needed when I do it. Spares. Keep the little allens and tools that come in the upgrades you buy. Put them in your range bag. It works for me and I have spares I can give to people when needed.

1. "I have spares I can give to people when needed"
    2. churchmouse: this is why you have friends! :thumbsup:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. "I have spares I can give to people when needed"
    2. churchmouse: this is why you have friends! :thumbsup:

Well, that and cheeseburgers... credit where credit is due :ingo:

Just kidding. I've only met CM once on an ammo deal, but he is obviously a man of many talents and one of those that will give the shirt off his back to you if needed.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

I'll look into that. Thanks. Not too worried about losing an allen wrench, though. I have several sets in my toolbox. Plus, I keep all of the allen wrenches that come with any of those things one buys that come with its own. I have a harware bin that they all go into. I'll end up putting this one in my cleaning kit (a tackle box).

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, odd question for anyone that's done this before. This is the first time buying online and doing a 3rd party transfer. When I talked to the guy, he said I just had to order it, send it to him (pawnshop owner), then he just had to check it in. Is checking it in an FFL thing? Is it time consuming? I ask because it was delivered there a little while ago. I thought about just stopping by after work, which is why I chose this FFL--it's on the way home. While I am excited, I don't want to seem like a needy little bastard if he's not done getting it "checked in."

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, odd question for anyone that's done this before. This is the first time buying online and doing a 3rd party transfer. When I talked to the guy, he said I just had to order it, send it to him (pawnshop owner), then he just had to check it in. Is checking it in an FFL thing? Is it time consuming? I ask because it was delivered there a little while ago. I thought about just stopping by after work, which is why I chose this FFL--it's on the way home. While I am excited, I don't want to seem like a needy little bastard if he's not done getting it "checked in."

Some FFLs want more time than others depending on what else they have going on. It involves recording it in their FFL log book, etc. USDS had me ready to go within a couple of hours of something being delivered, but others may want/need more time due to their schedule, etc. You might just call him before going in and see if he has it all ready to go for you to do the transfer.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Some FFLs want more time than others depending on what else they have going on. It involves recording it in their FFL log book, etc. USDS had me ready to go within a couple of hours of something being delivered, but others may want/need more time due to their schedule, etc. You might just call him before going in and see if he has it all ready to go for you to do the transfer.

Thanks. I'll do that. I still have several hours at work. I'm just not sure he'll have my number to call me. I know the shipping label had his number. So, I'm not sure if my info will be inside or what.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks. I'll do that. I still have several hours at work. I'm just not sure he'll have my number to call me. I know the shipping label had his number. So, I'm not sure if my info will be inside or what.

The FFLs I have dealt with have been ok with getting a phone call. Obviously depends on A) how much of their business ins transfers and B) how busy they are.

Post up what your experience is, good or bad, so other folks in the area know if that is a good FFL to use.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    The FFLs I have dealt with have been ok with getting a phone call. Obviously depends on A) how much of their business ins transfers and B) how busy they are.

Post up what your experience is, good or bad, so other folks in the area know if that is a good FFL to use.

He was really nice about the whole thing. They were super busy all day. I was working in that area, and I passed it a couple times. Parking lot was packed each time. He hadn't gotten it checked in by the time I got there, but he just checked it in as I filled out the 4473. The whole thing was easy. I haven't had such an easy time with an order at the LGS here.

Prairie Creek Pawn Shop
    701 S Burlington
    Muncie, In 47302
    (765) 288-2844
    $20 Transfers

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Well glad you got it home. Have you wore off the finish yet? There is nothing better than a 1911 in either cal. Let us know how it shoots.

Top Bottom