• ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    sNXRw66h.jpg

The Sig Sauer P365 is arguably the most anticipated Concealed carry-oriented pistols to hit the firearms market in 2018. Initially released in January at SHOT Show the first pistols had a couple issues the spring weights were not correct and the barrels were showing an accelerated wear pattern. Sig Sauer now has these problems fixed and these little guns are running like tops. These new “Gen II” P365’s feature a new relief cut on the top of the barrel to minimize the wear on the gun, different spring weights and all P365’s were upgraded to the Sig Sauer X-Ray sights which are comparable to Trijicon HD night sights.

The pistol has a $600 MSRP but can often be found for ~$500, IMHO this gun was designed from the ground up to compete with the Glock 43 as the P365 takes everything good about the Glock 43 and Shield and just improves upon it.

Specs:

Weight Unloaded No Magazine: 1.1 Pounds
    Loaded 10+1 (147gr Federal HST): 1.45 Pounds
    Loaded 12+1 (147gr Federal HST): 1.49 Pounds

Maximum Width: 1.0 Inches (at the center of the grip and at magazine catch)

Slide Width: 0.90 Inches

Height: 4.316 inches tall with flush fit 10 round magazine
    4.677 Inches tall with 12 round extended magazine

Sight Radius: 5.546 inches

Front Sight Width: .155 inches

Trigger Pull: 5.5 Pounds

General

The gun is very comfortable to shoot and the first day I had it I ran 300 rounds through it with no issues at all, I even tried to induce several malfunctions by “Limp Wristing” the pistol and not cleaning it from the factory. My particular pistol is the “Gen II” variety with all of the upgrades as well so for guns being made after March 2018 this is the gun you will receive (If your pistol does not have the X-Ray sights that is the giveaway that is it a “Gen I” pistol at this date and time).

ANv31aMh.jpg

(Here is an upgrade list from a upgraded “Gen I” pistol that was fixed by Sig Sauer image courtesy of user “LibWithSig” on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/CCW/comments/81fm1b/got_my_p365_back_from_sig/

Currently I have roughly 600 rounds of ammo through my P365 with 0 malfunctions of any kind. I have been using a combination of Wilson Combat Universal weight oil and Shooters Choice grease to lubricate the pistol. It shoots very well considering its size, the pinky extension is a must as it makes the gun allot more controllable at least in my opinion. The trigger breaks right at 5.5 pounds for me currently and it relatively crisp, reminds me allot of the P320 triggers (I hope APEX makes a trigger for the P365).

Hits on 8-inch-wide steel plates at 20 yards is easy with this pistol, though moving past that groups start to open up due to the short sight radius and relatively thick front sight. If I take my time and really work the trigger I can reliable hit the steel plates at 30 yards however.

Comparison to Other Popular Carry Guns

Next up is some comparison pictures to more common concealed carry pistols.

SzKpxP0h.jpg

(Sig P365 on top CZ RAMI on bottom)

WTYpd6Ch.jpg

(Notice how much thicker the RAMI is compare to the P365)

oXduFnkh.jpg

(Smith and Wesson 360PD on top Sig Sauer P365 on bottom)

OslQwY9h.jpg

(Width Comparison of the P365 and J-Frame)

7nE2RKth.jpg

(Photo comparing the M&P Shield, P365 and G43 widths)

hNej2qPh.jpg

(Comparison of P365 and P938) I had a P938 at one point and broke it due to shooting it quite a bit so I got rid of it, I remember the P938 having a worse trigger and kicking in hand more during recoil)

Disassembly and Maintenance

The pistol disassembles much like its larger brother the Sig P320, you just lock the slide to the rear and rotate the take down lever into the downward position and then release the slide taking it off the frame rails. There is a small trick to reassembling the pistol which I outline in the video below.

[video=youtube;RJzckWSUK2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJzckWSUK2E&t=1s[/video]

vy12n7zh.jpg

(Here is a photo showing slide and frame wear, pretty standard for a Sig and I am pleased considering the round count)

6ZW8s28h.jpg

(Showing barrel wear and the new relief cuts featured on the barrel, notice an almost complete lack of wear)

QrjRkrJh.jpg

(Visual of the X-Ray sights that come standard on the pistol)

Carry Comfort

5oOZHIsh.jpg

This is the set up I have been using to carry the P365 while I patiently wait for Milt Sparks to make me a Criterion holster for it, this is one of the few guns I feel that is small enough to comfortably appendix carry. The holster is made by Black Point Tactical for Sig Sauer and it seems to be good quality and even features the “wing” which helps hold the grip against your body during AIWB carry.

I normally carry the pistol with the 10-round magazine with the pinky extension attached, and when standing up and moving around it disappears, when sitting the holster requires a bit of adjustment but is comfortable none the less. I normally just slip the 12-round magazine into my pocket as a backup giving me 23 total rounds of 9mm.

Shooting the P365

So far, I have roughly 600 rounds through the P365 with the first 300 being the initial range session and the remaining 300 rounds broken up over two separate range sessions. The ammo breakdown is as follows

400 Federal 115gr Ball Ammo
    100 Federal Premium 147gr HST’s
    25 Hornady 135gr Critical Duty +P
    50 Sig Sauer 124gr V-Crown
    25 Gorilla 135gr Silverback

After the initial range session, the pistol was cleaned and lubricated using Shooters Choice grease on the frame rails with some Wilson Combat “Universal Weight Oil” used on the slide rails and various other wear areas. Below is a video detailing some actual shooting and my thoughts on the pistols shoot ability.

[video=youtube;5cXxuzOaydw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cXxuzOaydw[/video]

(Shooting various hollow points and comments on the trigger as well as a trigger demo)

[video=youtube;Qb_g6rsntL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb_g6rsntL0[/video]

(First person view of the P365 shooting, forgive the misses it is very hard to aim through a cell phone camera)

[video=youtube;zQWzpqHY_rA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWzpqHY_rA[/video]

(Trying to get the gun to malfunction by “limp wristing” the pistol)

Overall the gun to me at least shoots like a slightly larger gun, it handles more like a Smith and Wesson Shield does versus say a Glock 43, so shooting the pistol for extended periods of time is not a problem at all. My 300-round range session only left my palm slightly sore which I cannot say about the Glock 43 (I did not find the G43 pleasant at all).

Final Thoughts
    Overall, I am very pleased with the P365 and it makes a great addition to my carry gun rotation. With its ~$500 price point coming with nice night sights it is definitely competing well with the Glock 43 and Shield in terms of value. Extra magazines are kind of expensive at $55 a piece but this is a carry gun so not very many are actually needed. The grip texturing is perfect on this not too rough to be abrasive when carrying but it definitely bites in to your hand when shooting (no need to break out the soldering irons here)

The gun handled everything I could throw at it and proved to be 100% reliable and everything I have watched and read about the “Gen II” P365’s indicates this gun id definitely good to go. If someone is looking for a “micro 9” carry gun at least in my opinion they would be a fool to not at least consider the Sig P365.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like it is next on the wish list.
    In 10 months, for CC, I have gone from the Taurus 709 Slim, Sig 290, Shield 9, Beretta Nano to the Glock 26 (I might have forgotten a couple in there) :dunno:
    It sounds like it does everything right.
    I would have tried out the Glock 43 but it seemed so similar to my Shield so I passed, but I'm really excited about my Glock 26 that I just got for $400 from Bucknut here (great guy, and he's selling his guns, downsizing: now is the time to get a fair deal if he's selling what you're looking for as in the case of the Glock I bought from him.
    It is a little big for ankle carry (need a bigger one or just a velcro strap longer if I can find that), but I did ankle carry it today.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Damn, that's crazy.

Bought 2 online for $44 each with free shipping, but still a little on the steep side. I think $55 is the MSRP, and most are selling for anywhere from $40-$50 from what I've seen. I just bought two more from my local dealer for $45 each.

And like always, nice right up, Dean. The only thing I was surprised from was the fact that you seemed to like the trigger, especially being a 1911 guy. I think the trigger is good for what it is, but I will most definitely agree about Apex making one. I emailed them last week, and unfortunately, they don't have one in the works. But GrayGuns is currently working on one.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Bought 2 online for $44 each with free shipping, but still a little on the steep side. I think $55 is the MSRP, and most are selling for anywhere from $40-$50 from what I've seen. I just bought two more from my local dealer for $45 each.

And like always, nice right up, Dean. The only thing I was surprised from was the fact that you seemed to like the trigger, especially being a 1911 guy. I think the trigger is good for what it is, but I will most definitely agree about Apex making one. I emailed them last week, and unfortunately, they don't have one in the works. But GrayGuns is currently working on one.

I prefer the 1911 triggers but I am also tolerant of other lesser designs when they involve the awesomeness that is the P365. The P365 loaded with 12+1 rounds of 9mm weights what my Dan Wesson ECO does unloaded without a magazine

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Very nice review, thanks for posting. I have to agree with your review, as I got to shoot one at Point Blank in Greenwood yesterday and was quite surprised at how well it shot and handled. The one they had in the rental cabinet must have been a gen 1, as it did not have the X-ray sights. I love those sights and have put them on every Sig I've owned. Very happy to hear they've put them on this gun. That raises the value of it quite a bit in my eyes... :yesway:

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Nice review thanks for taking the time and effort to put it in. .Unfortunately ,for me, Sig is like Ruger was 30 years ago .They apparently dont have a QC Department- instead they use their warranty / repair division. So now we're into generation 2 cig 365's because the generation 1's weren't up to Snuff? Same old same old from Sig...
    I hope it continues to run flawlessly for you, but you're doing the right thing by shooting it. Make sure that thing works for you before you are pressed into action with it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Excellent write-up.

Unfortunately, your review seems to be yet another testament to this firearm adding to my desire to purchase one.

My CCWs are a Shield and a P938. The P938 is a "pocket" gun for days that I am in and out of non-carry facilities but I've never liked that my two CCWs have different use characteristics (striker vs SA). I could easily see how this gun could replace both the Shield and the P938 for my use.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Great review, although it looks like some grip treatment is in order, looked like you had a little trouble hanging on a couple of times?;)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, saw some on Midwayusa after seeing this in that range. Hopefully these will come down in time. I'm used to having a good number of extra mags and coming from Glocks and now M&P's used to OEM mags being priced affordably.

On another note, checking out this review/comparison (with the Glock 43) video:

[video=youtube;BPQXFH3Xhsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPQXFH3Xhsc[/video]

rstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Fishers
    Great Write Up

Lots of great info here. I am on the hunt for one of these and all of the information makes the decision even easier.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Nice review. Being one of "those guys" that carry a micro 9, adding 4 rounds seems to be a no brainer.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Very nice review .......Sig should put you on their payroll .
    I am definitely going to check one out . Have already been looking to replace my G43 .

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I was noticing just how small the grip looked compared to the Glock 43. I know the OP mentioned the benefit of the pinky extension. I shoot a Kahr CM9 that is as small, and sometimes wish I had a place to put my pinky, but don't want to give up the tiny size for ease of carry. With the Kahr, Talon grips made a huge difference. I would be interested to see if anyone felt the need for Talon grips/tape, and has tried it on the new little Sig.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I was noticing just how small the grip looked compared to the Glock 43. I know the OP mentioned the benefit of the pinky extension. I shoot a Kahr CM9 that is as small, and sometimes wish I had a place to put my pinky, but don't want to give up the tiny size for ease of carry. With the Kahr, Talon grips made a huge difference. I would be interested to see if anyone felt the need for Talon grips/tape, and has tried it on the new little Sig.

I put talons on everything I own. That being said I don't feel the need for them on my sig, and I shoot pinkyless.

Top Bottom