Yoda Tells Me I Need New Parts from CF Gunworks? Anyone Else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, Saturday after training, I went up to Fulton County to see the Yoda of Smiths at the Sand Burr Gun Ranch. It was sort of like the movie Shooter but Michael Pena was not in the passenger seat and I was not wanted by federal law enforcement . . . at that time. "Welcome to Fulton County, the patron county of shooting stuff", I exclaimed aloud after pulling into the gravel parking lot, driveway.

I unlimbered my case of Smiths for Denny to evaluate and moseyed in. I was greeted with a shout and a protest that I had cost him money as he had bet against me showing up. I told him a little rain would not melt me even though I am so sweet.

I showed him some of my greatgrandfather's guns (which he told me to lube and put away, he refused to risk taking them apart) and then we go right to business of a M625, couple of M64s and a M19 that I want to save. (What was really scary is that he held his hands over the 625 without touching it and told me what was wrong with it. I was completely dumbfounded).

Anywho, one gun that I really wanted him to fix was my great-grandmother's farm gun, a Smith I frame .22. He advised that I needed to contact C.F Gunworks near me in Frankfort. I need a new hand and ratchet.

Anyone had parts made for a geriactric Smith?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good luck, I can't count the hours I spend looking for parts for my old Colts, sometimes you just have to make them and hope for the best.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    From looking at CF's website, it looks like they do it all (from manufacturing parts, suppressors, on to installs and finishes, etc). Be interested in hearing how it goes if you get them to do the work.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I know Brad from CF, really good guy he will set you up. He is the only other gunsmith I trust to mess with my guns besides Ray Saltzman

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Your grips are on the way...They are period but not factory....Look like this but for an I frame..Not Improved I frame...I believe yours has the leaf main spring and not the later coil spring....

J42R_L.jpg

Original factory grips are kind of pricey...Over two hundred.....:n00b:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Update:

Picking up guns from Yoda next Thursday when I go teach for the Fulton County Bar Association.

After a long talk with Brad at CF (nice guy, very generous with his time on a Saturday) Great-grandma's HE .22 has been decommissioned. Might get a shadow box and a place on the living room wall, but at this stage of technology, fixing it would purchase a new M17 and a bunch of ammo.

I could sell it, as long as the gun buying it knew that it was only 5/6ths of a gun. But, man, so hard to part with family guns.

Top Bottom