• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wanted a Beretta 92 after shooting "all" big 9mm rented at Point Blank in Greenwood.
    Loved the wide grip: my favorite of the 9mms, but I did like the Kimber 1911 also.

I wanted to buy one for a range toy, and Armslist has the Beretta 92 from $400, $420 to $800.
    I was put onto SOG International (Southern Ohio Gun) by a member here, and there used service Beretta 92S that usually sell for $279 were on sale for:
    • 5" Barrel
    • 8.5" Overall Length
    • Steel Slide
    • Alloy Frame
    • SA / DA
    • Weighs 2.14lbs
    • Magazines:
    - 1-15rd

$239.00 - Good to Very Good (Mechanically excellent, cosmetically a little more wear on finish, but still nice pistols.)

$269.00 - Excellent (Mechanically excellent, cosmetically may have some wear on alloy frame finish.)

$10.00 - Handpick: handpick is NOT a grade. It is the best of 15 guns looked at in either good to very good or excellent condition.

I'm cheap, but I went for it thinking I would get it out the other end since most people buy whatever b/c of "pretty/condition" over more logical reasons.
    $239 + $30 for Excellent + $10 handpick = $279 + $20 shipping = $299 + unknown = $307 Total + $25 FFL fees = $332.
    I was in.

I was not happy with what I got for the upgrade with a handpick: the other guns must have been really crappy: lesson learned.
    I wish now I would have simply bought one for $400 locally.
    Here is a pic of the back of the grip and the front was the same: and this was a better grade and pick of the best of 15 guns!!!!!
    The rest of the marks, scruffs and scraps were OK for a used gun

XqEDtiu.jpg

Kvtuk3N.jpg

Normal boring side pics (since it's not stainless! :laugh: ).

JgoouGA.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am going to call them to voice my unhappiness, which will be a total waste of time, but I'll feel better.
    I have a notion to send it back and have them send me the regular $239 "good" one instead of excellent with no "handpick."
    I'm sure they would go out and run over if a few times with a car and drop some bricks on it to teach me a lesson if I did. :lmfao:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This is the surplus game. These pistols were carried, used, and put up wet. Shoot it, if it shoots well that is about all you can expect out of a surplus unit. The pictures are fuzzy, but it looks better than what I used in the air force.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dude, they are SURPLUS Euro pistols, 30years old or more. SOG is a near condemned store front on the square in Lebanon, OH. Their “stock” is housed in conex containers out back, or piled on the floor as far from the roof leaks as possible. Does it function and fire? Is the bore relatively shiny with decent rifling and little or no pitting? You got what you paid for, if it shoots all is good, hopefully you bought extra mags, as they aren’t standard US mags.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I've seen those for sell around $300-320. $239 base isn't bad at all. Cheapest way to get into a 92. I've been looking at those Italian trade ins. The smooth top half of the grips and the scarcity of aftermarket grips has given me pause.

ETA: I just reread your post. That is an "excellent" condition one?? I'd be calling, too!!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I take my spankings of since it's surplus: live with it. :crying:
    My inexperience.
    I would love to see what the others look like.
    Since I buy, use and move on to something else, I would have been better off to have bought a $400 local gun and used and when I sold: lost nothing or maybe $25-$50.
    I could be wrong but to me this is a $200 gun, and if I traded it in: $100.
    I was expecting what the condition of the gun was with scraps, scruffs and a hint of pitting from a slight hint of rust.
    Since I paid "extra" I was hoping to avoid the more obvious expectation of an old service gun.
    But, the grip looking like it had glitter literally all over the grip (front and back) b/c of a lack of coverage was a little much. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Dude, they are SURPLUS Euro pistols, 30years old or more. SOG is a near condemned store front on the square in Lebanon, OH. Their “stock” is housed in conex containers out back, or piled on the floor as far from the roof leaks as possible. Does it function and fire? Is the bore relatively shiny with decent rifling and little or no pitting? You got what you paid for, if it shoots all is good, hopefully you bought extra mags, as they aren’t standard US mags.

1. Actually, the FFL dealer at D & R Firearms where Southeastern Ave and Arlington intersect had mags that work for it.
    2. I forget the brand, but I recognized it, but I have no interest in extra mags, especially with a 15 round mag.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    1. Actually, the FFL dealer at D & R Firearms where Southeastern Ave and Arlington intersect had mags that work for it.
    2. I forget the brand, but I recognized it, but I have no interest in extra mags, especially with a 15 round mag.

New MecGar mags work, from what I've heard. They have the notch toward the bottom for the type of mag release for the S. They work with the FS and S models.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's too bad the standard Beretta Pachmayr grips won't fit that or it would be covered up and you'd never see it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought an Israeli surplus Sig P228. It looked like their police dog had used it as a chew toy. It happens.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's too bad the standard Beretta Pachmayr grips won't fit that or it would be covered up and you'd never see it.

I've seen those grips on a Beretta 92 on Armslist and wondered about that.
    I have bought 2 grips to make life better: for my SW .38
    snubbie and Taurus Judge.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If it's a shooter and the price was cheap, AllenM can Cerakote it and make it look better than new. Once you refinish it, you might not want to sell it in a week.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If it's a shooter and the price was cheap, AllenM can Cerakote it and make it look better than new. Once you refinish it, you might not want to sell it in a week.

True. OP won't get his money out of it, but makes it a keeper. I've had Allen do some work and it is second to none.

On another note, I have a Taurus PT99 that was Black T finished about 25 years ago, and that thing looks better than a new Beretta (and that pistol is the only non striker fired gun I have because I won't sell or trade it as I'd never get my money out of it).

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've seen those grips on a Beretta 92 on Armslist and wondered about that.
    I have bought 2 grips to make life better: for my SW .38
    snubbie and Taurus Judge.

Yep, but I don't think the Pachmayr's for a "regular" Beretta will fit what you have (at least not without some modification).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I could be wrong but to me this is a $200 gun

I’ll take it!

I look at surplus guns often and always chicken out at the last minute. I’d rather pay a little more and see what I’m getting.

Check it over good or have a 'smith go over it, shot it and if it shots well, the blemishes will just become part of its storied history. If it really is glitter, maybe it saw service in an Italian stripclub?

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The 92S police guns were well used, so unfortunately a lot of scratches and scuff marks are to be expected, including holster wear.

As for the date of production, your serial number does not show up in the USA data base, most likely because it originally was not destined to be exported. There is a date code showing export date on or near the trigger guard, but in my research I have found that the 92S police pistols not all got export stamped so some will and some won't have the two letters in a box date code. I have one with BU stamped indicating a 2004 export date.

FYI to all, Beretta USA date service: Firearm Technical Data Search

Top Bottom